Favourite way to eat fish?

Options

Replies

• DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    Flounder and shrimp,I prefer it fried but Im having it baked now.
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    steam with some pieces of ginger, scallion and oyster or soy sauce.

so delicious. but this way is best with freshly caught fish. my mom cooks salmon like this :D.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    SWAI!!!!! I love Swai!! you can bread it and cook in a skillet, bake it, put it in soup! It is so so good! And cheap!!!
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Turn it into a piece of steak:tongue: (I HATE seafood).
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Mmmm sushi. I'm super picky about my fish and tend to stick to tuna, swordfish, and mahi-mahi (yum, mercury). I much prefer sea invertebrates to fish (escargot, crab, octopus, lobster). I absolutely cannot stand salmon and shrimp though. They have this bizarre sweet taste that apparently no one else ever seems to notice.
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Great ideas. I have tried cooking in coconut oil as a change of pace. Kids love it with mango salsa on the side.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I loooove all types of seafood.

Swordfish--i like to cut it into smallish pieces and just dredge it in some panko or breadcrumbs (I don't egg it first, just the moisture of the fish) and then cook it in a pan with some olive oil. Take it out, then deglaze the pan with some red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar and add onions. Add salt, pepper and just a bit of sugar...sometimes I cook the onions first so they're more caramelized, then remove when I'm cooking the swordfish, then add them back in after I deglaze. Add the swordfish back at the end. Put some lemon on top if you like it...soooo good. Very traditional Sicilian preparation.

tuna over pasta....this is a good quick meal with canned tuna, though fresh works, too. I use good italian tuna in olive oil. Basically, cook pasta (I prefer linguine for this), drain, add the tuna along with some capers, lemon juice and black pepper. SO fast and easy, and really good.

Last night I got some lemon sole, just put it in the oven with some olive oil, garlic and a few spices. Ate it for dinner with the brown rice and a little yogurt sauce (almost like a greek tzaziki).
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of mackerel in summer as you can catch it pretty easily over here. Do you guys in the US eat it?? It is delicious on the BBQ with a big salad and some baby boiled potatoes or crusty bread. Mmmmmm bring on summer....
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    generally breaded or fried, which is why i don't have it often.

i do like salmon cakes, though, and it's easy to make them in a healthy way.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge tilapia fan! One fillet, one a baking sheet lined with foil in your choice of sauce! A quick lunch I like to make is baked tilapia in a spicy tomato sauce with whole wheat pasta...nom nom nom!

Last night for Valentine's day my boyfriend made a salmon in a balsalmic tomato sauce...not sure what else was in it but it was AMAZING! the balsalmic vinegar gave it the most perfect tanginess.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Shrimp. Baked in a little olive oil with pepper and franks red hot or salsa on them.
  • gibbyup
    Options
    Grilled tilapia lightly sprayed with Pam, rub on a sprinkle of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, parsley. I usually eat this with brown rice and some fresh tomato or mango salsa.

Me too!!! I season it almost exactly the same and serve with brown rice. Now I'm hungry ...
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Salmon. I take a tbsp of EVOO, mix it with some dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper and brush it on the salmon. I bake at 425 for about 10 minutes.....it comes out buttery, delicious, and flaky every time!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    not at all... I hate fish , shellfish occassionally but nah havent found any seafood I like really.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1. Sashimi!!-- salmon and tuna.

2. Grilled/broiled salmon!

3. White fish such flouder, pollock, perch, trout, cod, tilapia, halibut: FISH TACOS!!!!

Healthy fish tacos (The endulgent way to make these is to batter and fry the fish. To save of calories, grill/broil the fish): After cooking the fish, place in 6 in corn tortilla that has been warmed for about ten seconds to soften it. Drizzle fish with a tablespoon or two of baja sauce, which can be made at home, with 1 part mayo (this can be reduced fat or fat free), 1 part plain yogurt (again, this can be reduced fat or fat free) and 1 part fresh lime juice, with a dash of cumin and garlic powder. Top with raw shredded green and red cabbage, pico de gallo, fresh chopped cilantro, squeeze a fresh lime wedge over that bad boy and top with a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese. Of course this can be adjusted to your liking, but THEY ARE SO GOOD!!! Every time my sister comes over to our house, she wants me to make fish tacos for dinner.
  • gibbyup
    Options
    Salmon any way (grilled, baked, sauteed, poached, you name it), spicy grilled or panko crusted tilapia, cod, mahi mahi, swordfish, macadamia crusted opa ... oh, I could go on and on. Now I'm REALLY hungry. Fish for dinner tonight!

Oh, and check out Memphis Dust rub on grilled shrimp! (www.amazingribs.com)

Did I mention salmon? Preferably wild caught in Atlantic waters, but fresh farmed in Atlantic waters will do ... salmon, salmon, salmon ...
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Favourite is salmon, but it is hugely expensive here, so don't have it very often.

Favourite way to cook other fish is:

Place fillets of any white fish in an oven proof dish. Sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper and any other spices you want. Pour a tin of tomato/onion over the fish. Mix about 2 cups of low-fat plain yoghurt with 2 egss. (Depending on the amount of fish you have you can change the quantities. Pour this over the fish/tomatoe sauce. Sprinkle a little cheese over top. Bake in the oven until bubbling and nicely browned.

You can use the same yoghurt/egg sauce for a lower fat lasagna or moussaka topping.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    "Favorite" way? The pan seared tiliapia with shrimp cream sauce at Bahama Breeze (which I haven't had in years)

The way I *most often* make it? IE at home. Tossed in breadcrumbs and cajun seasoning and baked in the oven.. works well for tiliapia or catfish.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Talapia Fillet

1 tsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes 2 cloves garlic chopped

Sprinkle fish with your favorite seasonings. I use lemon pepper, creole seasoning and black pepper.

In a non stick pan heat olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook on low heat to flavor the oil about 2 minutes or until garlic is slightly brown. Remove garlic and pepper flakes with slotted spoon leaving the oil in the pan. Heat pan to medium add fish fillet and cook until golden brown about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until done. yum

Makes awesome fish tacos too!

talapia.jpg
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has frozen albacore, ahi, and swordfish steaks that are about $5-$6 bucks for 3/4 of a lbs. These are aweseme dense steaks. I love to put them in a cast iron skillet with some pastured butter, get a good sear on both sides, and then put it in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Little salt, pepper and lemon and you are good to go.

As a side I will saute some spinach or asparagus with butter or bacon grease.

Side note - I'm doing a Primal diet, hence all the natural butter and bacon.