Up 3lbs this week....confused????

Options
Help....ok, I know I should weigh myself once a week (and I generally do!) but I had my weekly weigh in on Monday and was down to 192lbs approx....this morning (after eating within my calorie goals and busting a gut exercising every evening) I am up 3lbs!!!!!! Please tell me that when I weigh myself next Monday that that pesky 3lbs will not be staring at me?! Is it normal to fluctuate that much during the week? (TMI, but it's not the time of the month).

Help.

Edited for typos!

Replies

• Coccinellid
    Options
    Are you due on? I have known myself in the past I've put on up to 7lb pre menstrual.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily because I'm a masochist, I fluctuate by a couple of pounds throughout the week, don't worry!
  • pudgypie
    pudgypie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nope, just finished my period last week, that's why I can't understand it. It's not the end of the world, I know, but 3lbs is a lot to put up in a couple of days!!!! :angry:
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Did you have several days of low-moderate carbohydrate intake, followed yesterday by a more regular level? That would have the effect of reducing your water levels down significantly and then raising them back up again.

Happy to explain how that works if you wish.
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    Hve you had a lot of sodium in the last few days?
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Sodium can do it, carb fluctuations can do it, periods can do it, randomness can do it. 3lbs is about what I could fluctuate up again before I go back down. It happens :)

SORENESS... that will do it too because of water retention in your muscles!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Open the diary
  • pudgypie
    Options
    No more/less carbs/sodium than usual. I have been eating my exercise calories back though the last few days but it's still bring me to my 1200-1300 goal a day. I have been losing steadily for the last few weeks. Maybe I shouldn't eat my exercise calories back (I KNOW, DON'T MENTION THE WAR HAHA). It just seems like a lot to put on in a couple of days. I am drinking plenty of water, water is never an issue for me as I always drank a lot of water daily. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • castle88
    Options
    Did you have several days of low-moderate carbohydrate intake, followed yesterday by a more regular level? That would have the effect of reducing your water levels down significantly and then raising them back up again.

Happy to explain how that works if you wish.

^^^ Yes please! I seem to fluctuate a lot and looking at my eating this does seem to coincide with the amount of carbs, would be nice to understand why!
  • pudgypie
    Options
    Open the diary

Oh God Dan, I didn't think you'd be popping by! :blushing: I've afraid you might end up lecturing me. :ohwell:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think you answered your own question. You bust your hump exercising so its probably water retention from your muscles working to repair themselves.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    In order ot have put on 3 lbs of fat you would have had to of eaten 10,500 calories over your maintenance calories which I'm sure you didn't. Sooo...it's water weight. Look at your sodium levels in the food your eating. Just keep the course and you'll be fine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Open the diary

Oh God Dan, I didn't think you'd be popping by! :blushing: I've afraid you might end up lecturing me. :ohwell:

Rofl. At least he fights the food fight.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Keep logging and exercising. I know how frustrating flunctuations can be lol. But the most important thing is don't give up (I've done it in pass times, not fun starting all over when it just some water weight, etc and went bck down by nxt weigh in) Good luck!
  • pudgypie
    Options
    In order ot have put on 3 lbs of fat you would have had to of eaten 10,500 calories over your maintenance calories which I'm sure you didn't. Sooo...it's water weight. Look at your sodium levels in the food your eating. Just keep the course and you'll be fine.

Definitely did not eat anything like that amount. Will check my sodium again. I am very sore the last few days as I am really working out as hard as I can in the gym and pushing myself. I am definitely losing crazy amount of inches as well. I shouldn't complain really....it will be probably be gone by my next weigh in on Monday (official weigh in day).
  • pudgypie
    Options
    Open the diary

Rofl. At least he fights the food fight.

Haha, he's like a demi-god on this site (well to me anyway). :flowerforyou: :blushing:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I put on 3lbs. It really depressed me (monday) weighed in today (wednesday) to see if it had shifted any (normally only weigh in Mondays) and it had gone. Phew x
  • Slippzzz
    Options
    I know what you mean!!!! I saw 242 once last monday.. and now I'm up 4 lbs since then but yes it is that time of the month for me but just pisses me off.. and question am I supposed to be eatting my exercise calories back because i haven't been,, just seems like a lot to be eating....
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    The scale is the devil :laugh:
  • alduvall
    alduvall Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged or give up! If you know you're doing the right things, it will even itself out. My weight fluctuates a bit like that especially with water retention--not only during cycles either. Watch your salt if you don't already do that. Some people are more sensitive to sodium and will retain more water. Just keep going and doing the right things!