Up 3lbs this week....confused????

Options

Replies

• missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate 3-4 lbs during the week. My cheat days have a lot of sodium and for me this makes me hold on to water for a few days. Don't worry too much, I'm sure you'll fluctuate back down to the lesser weight if you're eating reasonable amounts and watching your sodium. :)
  • cheynshelby
    Options
    Yes you can go up and down all week and all day long so dont get down. Also exercise means you maybe gaining more muscle so check your inches lost. If you want to you can add me. I always need all the support i can get.
  • pudgypie
    pudgypie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The scale is the devil :laugh:
    It sure is....

Thanks for the feedback guys. I reckon it will disappear as quickly as it appeared! It better! :mad: :laugh: I wonder if I drink ALOT more water today would it shift? I have been working out for a couple of hours in the gym the last few days so that might be a reason.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It sure is....

Thanks for the feedback guys. I reckon it will disappear as quickly as it appeared! It better! :mad: :laugh: I wonder if I drink ALOT more water today would it shift? I have been working out for a couple of hours in the gym the last few days so that might be a reason.

If you really want a motivational booster, take a few days off from the gym, relax and let your muscles repair. Or do something like stretching or yoga. Rest is just as important to a body as exercise. If your muscles can't repair, you can cause issues with over training.
  • pudgypie
    Options
    It sure is....

If you really want a motivational booster, take a few days off from the gym, relax and let your muscles repair. Or do something like stretching or yoga. Rest is just as important to a body as exercise. If your muscles can't repair, you can cause issues with over training.

Really? God I get very tetchy and anxious if I can't get my few hours in the gym. I just feel that I am not putting in the effort if I don't do my workout. I might go for a swim tonight instead. Would this help? And drink lots and lots of water today.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Really? God I get very tetchy and anxious if I can't get my few hours in the gym. I just feel that I am not putting in the effort if I don't do my workout. I might go for a swim tonight instead. Would this help? And drink lots and lots of water today.

Swimming is still intense, unless you just hang out an doggie paddle. Look at programs like P90X or P90X2, Chalean extreme, insanity, etc... they are all insane workouts from beach body, but all incorporate rest days or active stretching. Heck, P90X2 is the newest which incorporates an entire week to stretching and yoga, as an active stretch. Your body needs rest. In fact, these programs suggest taking a week or two off between rounds.

Heck, when I help people get out of plateaus, I always suggest a week off of exercise while eating at maintenance so you an re feed your system and it works every time.

I am sure Dan will back me up on this too.
  • pudgypie
    Options
    Ok, so I shouldn't really swim either. I usually do continous lenghts of the pool for 30 mins when I swim with very little rest, maybe about 1-2 mins over the 30 mins and then head to the steam room for 10 mins. I usually go for a swim to give myself a break from the gym. LOL

Sooooooooo, I shouldn't do any exericse today then???? Do you think that's why I am up 3lbs? I also started week 3 of the C25K yesterday and I am feeling that today!

Should I have a nice big dinner tonight and eat over my 1200 for the day?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Open the diary

Oh God Dan, I didn't think you'd be popping by! :blushing: I've afraid you might end up lecturing me. :ohwell:

Rofl. At least he fights the food fight.

*thumbs up and a wink*

Its not a lecture really.
    Just keep in mind that the average woman 5'3" should be eating 1600-1800 calories a day when working out 3 times a week or more.
    You wont lose weight if you dont eat correctly.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I can go up.down 7lbs in a day easy.
  • loria508
    loria508 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    They say our bodies can go up 1-2 pounds retaining fluids, it is happening to me now! And I know my body does retain fluid alot. This is the true test, to keep moving forward. Also some people (including myself) can not digest white or wheat flour, that also can make the scale go up for me after 2 slices of pizza! (my weakness also). So if I do have bread , I try to stick to ezecial bread in the morning. Good luck!
  • ElizabethKathrynJ
    Options
    In my experience (I've tried to lose weight so many times throughout my 18 yeats haha) this common. Either it's acciated with before being on, during being on, or after. Or it could be due to the fact that you because your weight is getting ready to down in pounds. Weight fluxuates all the time. &Sometimes it will go way up before it plunges again. At least that's what happens to me on occasion. I totally wouldn't worry about. Just well, exersize, keep on track and you will be just fine! You'll lose it(: GOODLUCKKK! Oh, and it be water weight, as well. I always gain 1-3lbs sometimes more after drinking any sorts of liquids(:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    3lbs for a woman is nothing... Honestly it could have to do with hormones, the time of the month (pre-menstrual), water weight, menopause, etc.

Other reasons that you might be gaining weight could be exhaustion and lack of sleep. This is very stressful on the body and stress naturally packs on pounds...

If you continue to gain weight while watching your calories and working out then go to the doctor and get a check up. Are you on any medications? There are many meds that can cause you to gain some weight. Also, you could have a medical reason i.e. hormonal imbalance, thyroid prob, etc.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My scale showed 3 extra pounds this morning as well. I'm not too worried though.....it happens sometimes depending on sodium levels, etc. No worries. Maybe we can blame it on the FULL MOON!!! hehe.
  • pudgypie
    Options
    Open the diary

Oh God Dan, I didn't think you'd be popping by! :blushing: I've afraid you might end up lecturing me. :ohwell:

Rofl. At least he fights the food fight.

*thumbs up and a wink*

Its not a lecture really.
    Just keep in mind that the average woman 5'3" should be eating 1600-1800 calories a day when working out 3 times a week or more.
    You wont lose weight if you dont eat correctly.

Dan....I am 5.6 and am staying in around 1200 odd calories a day and exercising 6 days a week (7 if I can). I haven't plateaued (yet) and hope I don't so do you think I should up my calorie intake?
  • miamigirll
    Options
    You're probably just putting on muscle :) I'm drinking my shakes, and haven't changed a thing but haven't lost much this week either...but I have been hitting the gym hard too. I must take my measurements very soon...probably lost inches. I feel great though and my pants yesterday seemed looser! Keep it up, you're doing great!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Ok, so I shouldn't really swim either. I usually do continous lenghts of the pool for 30 mins when I swim with very little rest, maybe about 1-2 mins over the 30 mins and then head to the steam room for 10 mins. I usually go for a swim to give myself a break from the gym. LOL

Sooooooooo, I shouldn't do any exericse today then???? Do you think that's why I am up 3lbs? I also started week 3 of the C25K yesterday and I am feeling that today!

Should I have a nice big dinner tonight and eat over my 1200 for the day?

I always think 1200 calories is too low for anyone unless you are 4"11. That is below your metabolic rate (BMR) and continuous eating under your BMR will cause your metabolic rate to adjust and slow down. If you continously feed your body, you will maintain a metabolism and your body will allow the weight to drop faster.

So since maintenance calories aren't 1200, I would aim for more. Do yourself a favor, use the BMR calculator up top, multiply by 1.2 and that is what you should aim for every few days. Or better yet, reduce your deficit to .5 lbs to 1 lb per week and eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories that MFP suggest.
  • ssassorossi
    Options
    I would say don't worry about it. Unless you feel three pounds heavier, it is nearly impossible that you gained back three pounds of fat.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You're probably just putting on muscle :) I'm drinking my shakes, and haven't changed a thing but haven't lost much this week either...but I have been hitting the gym hard too. I must take my measurements very soon...probably lost inches. I feel great though and my pants yesterday seemed looser! Keep it up, you're doing great!

You can't put on muscle with large deficits. And it takes time to build muscle. So it's practically impossible with the larger deficit.
  • JAMESGRADY
    JAMESGRADY Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stay with the program. This is a long term Journey! I have the same problems and I know what a downer it is. Seek friends to join and encourage each other. if YOU really want this you have to have your mind in it and dicipline to stay the course NO MATTER WHAT!
    Do it girl!:smile:
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would love an answer to this as well. Yesterday I was at 262.3
    Today I am am 265.1.
    I weigh everyday but only record on Friday.

I am hoping I was more over on the sodium intake than I thought.