You guys have plans for Lent?

Options

Replies

• Molly_Louise
    Options
    Diet coke/diet pepsi/pepsi max.

It occurred to me the other day I drink wayyyy too much of this so I'm giving it up!
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    A
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Not sure what I would give up have not drank for many years kicked the smoking habbit last year and been doing really well for the fourth time around for quieting. I may just give up meat durning lent and eat other stuff.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    As a former catholic I tend to make Friday my "cheat" day and have some fast food since I know that those places will be a lot quicker to get in and out of during lent, lol!
    Honestly though, I'm not a fan of "sacrificing" for only 40 days and only on Fridays so I will focus on being more disciplined on my Spiritual life and focusing more attention on my personal relationship with Christ.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I do not give up something...I dont understand how not eating chocolate will bring me closer to god. I chose to add something to my life...volunteering, prayer, service of some sort.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    One year I gave up worrying - and it was a lot more challenging than giving up any food! When Lent was over, my mom simply asked "Why don't you give up worrying for the rest of your life?" Ding ding ding!

It's not so much a specific food, Lent is giving up the things that keep us from being closer to God. That could be any number of things like gossiping, being concerned with appearances more than loving God, etc. So, rethink giving up peanut butter!
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am giving up sweets/desserts/candy... yes seems vauge to others, but I know what I mean :)
    I do this every year to jump start me for Spring break, summer and Vegas for Easter!!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I do not give up something...I dont understand how not eating chocolate will bring me closer to god. I chose to add something to my life...volunteering, prayer, service of some sort.

Brilliant! You're right on! I forgot that you can ADD something that brings you closer to God! Thanks for the reminder!
  • isaacs06
    isaacs06 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm a cradle Catholica and the past few years (like some of you) have decided to DO something instead of give up something.
    This year for Lent, I will probably do a daily devotional or something like that....oh and actually make it to mass every week - yeah that'd be good ;)
  • ColleenB1980
    ColleenB1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am going to give up coffee & Pepsi Max !

I feel sorry for my family already :)
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give up coffee (need to do this and Lent is a good inspiration) and meditate, I think...
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Huh... I gave up smoking over a month ago..... and I've basically cut all the sh1te out of my diet..... so I have no idea what else to give up lol!

I love the idea of, instead of giving something up, doing something positive. :)

Hmm good idea! I've been sitting here wondering what I can give up lol, I already gave up my latte's too and am on decaf tea and coffee, so there's no way I am giving up that. I will do something new.. any suggestions? x
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised catholic, but I never practice it. Since my grandfather died last year, I decided that in memory of him (who was devoutly catholic) I would participate in Lent. This year I'm going to add meditation and prayer to my practice and give up booze. Although I don't drink that much, it will be difficult during the holidays. It's always hard to give something up, and sacrificing something you love (chocolate) DOES bring you closer to God and gives you a tiny understanding what he sacrificed for us, but I don't pray nearly enough, and I don't meditate nearly enough (which also brings a person closer to God). I gave up chocolate last year, it was my first time participating in Lent, and let me tell you, on Sunday at noon I had a lindor chocolate waiting for me. It was a very tough thing to do, but worth it.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I plan to give up lent for lent. A win-win as they say.

And I'm not Catholic either:drinker:
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up reading my horoscope and watching tv.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    We try to think less about giving things up and more about doing things for ourselves and others. This year we will take our 5 year old to the food bank to participate in the kids helping kids program.
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What day does Lent start this year? I'm so glad you posted this, Lent is a great motivator for me to eat healthily!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    February 22
  • coloradotara
    coloradotara Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started giving this some thought last week. I am going to give up sugar and diet coke...I have a sweet tooth and am totally addicted to diet coke (plus it's taking away from the amount of water I need to be drinking). I'm also going to start the C25K program on Ash Wednesday, I figure it's a good starting point since the program is 6 weeks and Lent is almost that long.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up cleaning the house...............I'm sooooo ambitious now though, I might start early!!