Anyone out there take flax seeds?

Options
13»

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I go for the whole food so I use ground flax seeds. I understand that if you use whole flax seeds you must break them (chew them) to get the benefit of eating them. I add them to oatmeal AFTER I cook it or else I find it gets gelatinous. I also add them to smoothies. I've heard that eating nuts or seeds with greens helps to release the nutrients of the greens into your body, too.

Great point. I add it after cooking too for the same reason.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    On the subject of Chia seeds, I do want to say that if, if you have heart problems, are on blood thinners or aspirin therapy, or have low blood pressure (or are on medication to lower blood pressure), use caution when ingesting Chia seeds.

Otherwise, carry on and enjoy!

I can't take an aspirin a day due to old ulcer problem, so good to know about natural blood thinners. I like the natural way better than drugs, anyway! I'll have to look into chia seeds. I wonder if they must be ground, too?
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am going to try chia seeds after I am done with the flax I have. I like the fact that you don't have to grind and that they have no flavor.
  • fuzz_pawz
    Options
    Does anyone know what the real benefits to flax are?
    I know it is good for the digestive tract- fibre and all that. But are there real benefits to weight loss...or is it basically just an added fibre source to promote healthy diet?

I recently bought ground flax seed and have been putting it in cooking, protein shakes etc.
    Through my lifestyle change, I have become a vegetarian and have limited many of the everyday bread carbs my husband and I used to consume..which was a LOT!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Ground organic flax seeds. I put it into a lot of things, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit cups, smoothies, etc.
  • ezranch208
    ezranch208 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Flax has MANY benefits! Omega's, lignans, fiber, etc. It also can help with inflammation. And YES it does help keep you fuller longer! It actually swells up giving you that full feeling. I had a bowl of Special K w/berries, 1% milk, an 1 TBSP of milled flaxseed as an evening snack and I wasn't hungry all morning. Thank God and thank flaxseed =)

Here is a link to many articles about flaxseed. http://www.livestrong.com/flaxseed/