KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken)

Options

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I say - no to KFC - they buy from companies that don't take care of the chickens! Besides really, nothing very healthy there, except maybe the green beans. Happy Birthday though!

As does every other restaurant...
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken double green beans :smile:

YUMM!!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    They are the worse offender out there in terms of factory farmed meat.

No thanks.

source: 'Eating Animals'

Why not go to Chipotle if you want fast food. At least they support small family farms.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    a cup of water with ice

Hahaha!
  • Onesnap
    Options

As does every other restaurant...

What is your source on that?

Every restaurant does not buy factory farmed meat. Check your sources before having such a blanket statement on here. And support your local Farm-to-Table restaurant. Most cities have them and even Chipotle supports small family farms if we're talking fast food.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Also, no child of mine (or my friend's kids) are going to eat that factory farmed meat. If you knew that they washed their chicken in poo-filled water would you still eat it. They do! Yum...poo washed chicken!
  • Dreamboat6
    Options
    Mashed potatoes have almost no nutritional value, the grilled chicken is loaded with salt, fried chicken without skin is still loaded with fat. I bring my own food to things like this. Another option is to teach your kid how unhealthy KFC is and suggest another choice. My kids know we do not go to places with unhealthy food.
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's your son's birthday. I say enjoy..........and maybe do a little exercise after.

And the best (most fun) exercise would be to go home after and make him a little brother. lol
  • Dreamboat6
    Options
    its not just the calories
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes & gravy

Exactly!

Just cut out the gravy and it should be ok, aside from the sodium
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Here's some more info:

Chickens too have the ability to pass information along generationally and KFC, which of course used to mean Kentucky Fried Chicken until we all became conscious of what that meant is one of the largest purchasers of chicken on the planet. In fact, according to Safran Foer, KFC is “arguably the company that has increased the sum total of suffering in the world more than any other industry” (p. 67). KFC claims, of course, that it buys its chicken only from trustworthy suppliers and for goodness sake it even has a picture of that smiling southern gent all dressed in white. So how harmful can they be? Well really pretty awful according to most animal and food researchers. Many of the suppliers abuse and ill-treat chickens horribly, and in ways that I do not want to account here. In addition KFC states that it conducts audits of its suppliers, these are announced audits and it is often these suppliers have been grimly documented as amongst the worst in animal welfare standards.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    So it is my son's 5th birthday today and he has requested we go to KFC for supper. Anyone have any suggestions on what is relatively "healthy" and not too "bad" to eat from there? :happy:

Thanks!!

DoubleDown..

Serious. :)

Also going to agree with this. Around 500-600 calories, if I recall.
  • plt55
    plt55 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My kfc meal (because I live 1 block away) 2 grilled legs 90 each =180 or1 original breat skin taken off 160, 2 mashed potaoes gravy 120 each =240 1 slaw 150 total 550 for breast meal 570 for drumstick meal .I usually use 500 to 700 for dinner anyway
  • Whaleluvr
    Whaleluvr Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Go on database, and type in KFC............and see what pops up
  • chellefatfree
    chellefatfree Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada....WE don't wash our chicken in Poo water!!
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Chipotle serves as much naturally raised meat that they can get their hands on..in most places, all their meat is humanely raised. Panera also offers naturally raised chicken, and many of the larger health food grocery stores have prepared food sections. If you want humanely treated animal products, there are many options nowadays.

Thanks for the post about KFC. I forgot they have the grilled chicken now, and I never new the mashed potatoes weren't completely off the charts bad.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I never ever ever ever eat there...but the one time I did eat there, I got this snacker sandwich thingy...it was delicious!
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You eat something before you go! It will help self control tons and if you do eat/snack, you'll be able to keep things under control. The next day, when you're efforts aren't sabotaged, you'll be glad you did!

best advice on here! and the water one is pretty funny!
  • chipaddict
    Options
    Can't believe your US KFCs sell Mash! Seems totally weird. It's all fries over here.

I know! Green beans and mash?? I'm actually shocked. I've never seen anything green in KFC.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Can't believe your US KFCs sell Mash! Seems totally weird. It's all fries over here.

I know! Green beans and mash?? I'm actually shocked. I've never seen anything green in KFC.

They sell 'scone' type things called biscuits too in the States.
    Here in Aus they don't do corn on the cob or beans!!! Gutted.