Breakfast. Is it really necessary?

Options
Is it really necessary?

My personal trainer at the health club and my GP have preached at me about this. I've never been one for breakfast.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Not necessary as increased meal frequency does not offer a metabolic advantage. Breakfast and # of meals per day is a personal preference
  • Jingram2b
    Options
    When you eat is largely irrelevant, despite popular sentiment. The post above me is spot on.

However, when you eat does tend to help folks mentally -- which is half the battle for a lot of people. If it makes you feel better to eat a meal early in the day, do it. If not, don't.

It's much more important to eat quality food and avoid processed food.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Not necessary as increased meal frequency does not offer a metabolic advantage. Breakfast and # of meals per day is a personal preference

^^This.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options

So I can eat once a day? lol
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Try it for a few days. I used to hate breakfast, too, until I got used to it. Now my body needs it. I've been advised that it jump starts your metabolism for the day.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Yes. You could eat your entire day's calories right before bed if you so wish, as long as you don't create a calorie excess.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

check out his diary. guy pretty much consumes all his calories at one meal. works for him.

me, i just can't sit and eat that much at once, so i eat about 4 hours. and i love breakfast. to each there own.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Yes.
    Truth.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It MAY be 'necessary' for psychological reasons, but that's about it. Some people find themselves very hungry if they skip breakfast and have a tendency to snack more or overeat at lunch when they do that.

From a purely physiological perspective it doesn't matter if you eat a bunch of small meals or fewer, bigger ones.
  • gmthompson76
    Options
    If its typical "breakfast food" that you don't care for, you don't have to eat it. You can eat other types of food at "breakfast time".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The first meal of the day is pretty necessary. But how early that needs to be is an individual thing.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. I just have a hard time doing so.

But I have had a couple of weeks where I literally force myself to eat breakfast. And I always had a great weigh in the week after.

I've heard it makes a huge difference in weigh loss, and I think that's so true.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Yes.
    Truth.

Oh I've seen it lol! I'd love to eat it like that. I get told to eat all the time and then told id doesn't matter lol I'd love to skp breakfast!lol
  • Jingram2b
    Options
    The first meal of the day is pretty necessary.

Only if you eat once per day :)
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    I've heard it makes a huge difference in weigh loss, and I think that's so true.

You've heard from who/where? There is actual proof out there to show as long as you keep your calorie deficit it actually makes no difference whatsoever. It's all calories consumed throughout the 24 hours. WHEN you eat them makes no difference.
  • gaberieger
    Options
    Two thoughts: 1) it's good to get the metabolism fire burning, or 2) if you're not hungry, don't eat (primal).

So the answer is NO or personal preference, as mentioned above.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I personally am not a big breakfast eater...but find it helps to have a protein shake early and something more substantial later.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options

Yes. You could eat your entire day's calories right before bed if you so wish, as long as you don't create a calorie excess.

This would lead to low blood sugar, which is not healthy.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

This is so NOT true!!! And I hope no one takes this for face value. I have read and heard a million times that eating close to bedtime is not a good idea and can affect weight loss. Now, I'm no professional, but my experience has proved to me that this is completely true.

Many times I have had to eat some stuff before bed just trying to get in the calories I lack for the day. And I;m not talking unhealthy snacks. But either way, it was a BIG mistake! Every single time I have ever done this, my weigh ins were not good. I would either maintain or gain. Never lost!

I've been told it's because your spiking your sugar levels. I have also been told that the reason not to eat right before bed is because we use energy while sleeping. Therefore, calories burned over night. Not if you have food digesting.