Breakfast. Is it really necessary?

Options

Replies

• marquesajen
    Options
    Talk to a doctor. Different things work for different people, but there is a lot of conflicting advice about breakfast.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    You're are so wrong. Eating later at night DOES matter. If it doesn't for you, you've been a lucky girl.
    Cause it matters for me. My doctor has confirmed this and three trainers.

Most Doctors don't have degrees in nutrition and don't know a hill of squat and neither do most trainers............Be careful who you take advise from.

My doctor has a second degree as a registered dietician and also a degree from Bastyr University in Holistic Nutrition.

When and what time you eat does NOT matter.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I do believe it is a personal preference...

HOWEVER, personally I have to keep my body fueled on a constant. If you look at it in a healthy habit view - perhaps 3 meals a day with snacks is a healthier habit than eating all calories in just one sitting. This is however not looking at metabolism or weight loss - more as to how your body functions when you fuel on a constant and properly.

Once upon I hated breakfast and water... with my healthier habits - i can't go without breakfast and by 8 am I have consumed at least 3 cups of water.

But again... it is a personal preference!!!
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Not necessary as increased meal frequency does not offer a metabolic advantage. Breakfast and # of meals per day is a personal preference

So I can eat once a day? lol

Yes. You could eat your entire day's calories right before bed if you so wish, as long as you don't create a calorie excess.

This would lead to low blood sugar, which is not healthy.

It is very difficult to achieve low blood sugars naturally. Usually, the only people that have low blood sugars are those who overdid their insulin. If you have fat on your body, the liver will perform glucogenesis and make sugar from the fat.

^This.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Your body lies dormant while you sleep, processing the food you've eaten during the day. When you wake up your body needs some kind of nourishment to get going. This doesn't have to be first thing but it should be within the first few hours.

How do you think we evolved over millions of years if we didn't eat our cinnamon toast crunch upon waking in the grasslands of Africa?
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I insulted any of the girls...I couldn't tell by some of the photos..like that cat.. who was a boy and who was a girl.

Hummmm.......

I haven't a clue as what to say now.

I guess I have no stomach for food in the am. actually I have no stomach for food period. I personally could go without the messy affair. I gained weight back because of several things, but the biggest thing was wheat beer.....a lot of it.... over a month....I'm wheat intolerant...duhhh... Now I need to eat, yephhers not eating or eating very little messes with one's mind. I know that all to well. Then the holidays played a real number on me, intrupted my work outs, only at pumpkin pie...yeah..I know my sins. Of course there's far more too this.

We eat clean...no sugar, nothing EVER processed passes the threshold of this house. My 7 yr old has occasional pizza OUT or he'll junk out when he gets old enough and tall enough to reach a vending machine....We are very physically active. We have both planned physical activities nearly daily and fun activities we do for "leisure:"

Are we really storing fat because our body is trying to conserve?

My personal trainer told me to post this and see what kind of response I'd get.

My biggest concern is that my son end up with poor eating habits and if not eating breakfast messes with one's metabolism, I need to fix this now. FOR HIM!

I think I'll try to eat five strawberries in the morning for a week and see how that goes.

Thanks so much for everyone's input! Sorry to create a war... definitely not intended or expected.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. Works for me. :)

I have to disagree with whoever said it's fine to eat all your calories together though... surely you get that post-meal digestive slump, or more to the point notice a downturn in mental agility when you're very hungry? Even if you're a low-carb eater, it must cause peaks and troughs in nutrients and glucose levels if you eat just one massive meal each day, plus the stomach distention previously mentioned?

I live a controlled carb lifestyle due to reversing Diabetes and I Intermittent Fast almost every day and most of those days eat only 1 meal per day. I have no highs or lows in blood glucose levels, they remain even and no issues with stomach distention either.

I have more energy and sleep much better at night eating this way also. And they only nutrient I am deficient in is Vitamin D and that is due to lack of sunlight...................
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think I'll try to eat five strawberries in the morning for a week and see how that goes.

uh oh, you're going to get fat. didn't you just say yesterday if you put any sugar in your mouth you will get fat period?
  • mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    Pretty sure no one on here is qualified to answer that....
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I insulted any of the girls...I couldn't tell by some of the photos..like that cat.. who was a boy and who was a girl.

Hummmm.......

I haven't a clue as what to say now.

I guess I have no stomach for food in the am. actually I have no stomach for food period. I personally could go without the messy affair. I gained weight back because of several things, but the biggest thing was wheat beer.....a lot of it.... over a month....I'm wheat intolerant...duhhh... Now I need to eat, yephhers not eating or eating very little messes with one's mind. I know that all to well. Then the holidays played a real number on me, intrupted my work outs, only at pumpkin pie...yeah..I know my sins. Of course there's far more too this.

We eat clean...no sugar, nothing EVER processed passes the threshold of this house. My 7 yr old has occasional pizza OUT or he'll junk out when he gets old enough and tall enough to reach a vending machine....We are very physically active. We have both planned physical activities nearly daily and fun activities we do for "leisure:"

Are we really storing fat because our body is trying to conserve?

My personal trainer told me to post this and see what kind of response I'd get.

My biggest concern is that my son end up with poor eating habits and if not eating breakfast messes with one's metabolism, I need to fix this now. FOR HIM!

Thanks so much for everyone's input! Sorry to create a war... definitely not intended or expected.

I haven't read any studies regarding children (as I understand it there aren't a lot out there either) so I can't speak very intelligently on this matter. One thing I will say is breakfast is a meal that you can control, whereas when your son is at school there's less control there.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My ticker picture should be a clue :drinker:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    What a reaction! Wow! I eat it if I'm hungry, I don't eat it if I'm not. More often not. I prefer to use my calories later if I'm not hungry, rather than forcing it. I think if your body needs fuel it will tell you. I've lost 55lbs so it has served me well x
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure no one on here is qualified to answer that....
    Why, you need a degree to cite peer reviewed research, or what?
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Yes, if your goal is to lead a fit and healthy lifestyle. I too used to avoid breakfast and became a convert in the past year. Loading up on calories early in the morning can help increase metabolism as well as give you the energy to perform your exercises/workouts.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options

I haven't read any studies regarding children (as I understand it there aren't a lot out there either) so I can't speak very intelligently on this matter. One thing I will say is breakfast is a meal that you can control, whereas when your son is at school there's less control there.

Very very very true.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    Yes, if your goal is to lead a fit and healthy lifestyle. I too used to avoid breakfast and became a convert in the past year. Loading up on calories early in the morning can help increase metabolism as well as give you the energy to perform your exercises/workouts.

This is what both my doctor and my trainer said. I'm willing to give it a go for a week.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    When you eat your first meal of the day or any meal throughout the day is your personal preference. I am a beast until I've had breakfast and it's the first thing on my mind when I wake but many other people feel differently :-)
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options

Why, you need a degree to cite peer reviewed research, or what?

:laugh:

There are a great deal of dummies with degree out there. I'm one of them. Not one lick of common sense to my name! Good call.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I'm tired and a ***** without my breakfast....but I know a few guys that don't eat breakfast and are fine.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    The guys in the weight room (in which I spend several hours a week with) told me that I would get better results if I ate something in the morning.

So there's the guys in the weight room.
    My GP
    Personal Trainer.