Homemade Chilli.......How many OZ is a serving???

Options
2»

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I know Homemade food is hard my chili with beans say's ( about ) 1 and 1/4 cups.. what about ounces? I say get as close to it as you can.. I think we shouldn't go crazy on the perfect amount as long as your close. I am sure a few more ounce isnt going to hurt that much.. It is great that your counting the ounces ! I try too but sometimes we just have to be happy with getting it close :flowerforyou:
    1 cup = 8 ounces. Is there even a difference in what you're talking about? Doesn't seem so.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i made homemade chili a few weeks ago and the recipe i had said a serving was 10.8oz. but like someone else said, a serving size can be whatever you want it to be.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am making chilli and calculating how many servings I have here in total.

But I need some help. :) What I need to know is how many ounces a serving of chilli should be. Google is pointless. I've read 6oz and 8oz. What do you all think?

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. :D

Here's what I do when I add in a new recipe on MFP...
    When you are finished making it, get another pot or large bowl and a 1 cup measuring cup and transfer it by the cupful to the new bowl. Then change your servings to the number of cups that it made & add "1 cup serving" to the title of your recipe. Then if you want 1.5 cups one time, you will know to change the number of servings in your diary to 1.5. I can't see measuring chili in ounces.... a cup of chili is a good amount especially if you add diced tomatoes or other toppings onto it.
    Yes, it's a pain, but you only have to do it once and as long as you follow your recipe every time you make it, it will be accurate. Make sure you enter your own recipe here on MFP and don't use someone else's "homemade chili" data...they can be very different!!
  • ckeilah
    ckeilah Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ~500g

But I eat only chili for lunch, and chili and beer for dinner. And I need 2000+ Cal. to maintain, sometimes 3000+. So, ~500g/~15oz. is not so much, really. Maybe 500 Calories per serving. Nohomo grassfed beef and organic adjuncts make this a good peoplefood. :-D
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I made chili, the recipe usually varies every time. Sometimes I add two cans of tomatoes, etc. When its in the crock pot, I scoop out cupfuls into a big bowl, and count how many cups it takes to empty the crock pot. Then I add all the ingredients into a recipe and however many cups I had is the amount of servings. Then throughout the week I will use a measuring cup to scoop out a cupful and know that is exactly one serving. If I am really hungry, a cup and a half, you get the idea. Works well for me.