Gained weight eating 800 calories a day?

I have lost 15 pounds so far, going from 175 pounds to 160. I forget what I ate to get that, I think it was the initial cutting down on my calories for an immediate weight loss. ( I used to eat 3+ bowls of cereal each morning, ect.) Or, it was because I ate fiber bars a lot, if you understand where I'm going with that.
For a week I ate a net calorie intake of 800 calories, food calories never over 1300.
And I gained .5 of a pound. I have no idea what is going on. I'd really like to lose more, I still look fat.
Btw, I'm 5'10.
How many calories should I be eating to lose weight.? Please help me.
Should I stick with the 800, eat more, or less.?
Exercise more/less?
I would often ride the stationary bike or play Just Dance. Only burning like, 200 cals though.
Please.

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Eat more. There's a reason the site gives you a calorie goal to hit each day. 800 isn't enough. Also, as far as I'm aware, you aren't allowed on here under 18?
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    definitely net more than 800 calories per day. Your metabolism will grind to a halt at that rate. I would try to eat close to your bmr, but at the very least 1200 net calories.
  • Karoline01
    Karoline01 Posts: 41 Member
    I think you are eating too little, you have to go to your settings and find out how many calories you should be eating. You have to enter your age, weight, height, etc.. and the system will tell you how many you should be eating. I have heard that if you eat only a few calories, your body goes into starvation mode and you start retaining fat which could have caused you to gain. But I'm not an expert, it's just what I have heard. Hope it helps.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    You're not eating nearly enough. Your body is holding on to any fat stores it can find because it thinks you're starving (which at only 800 calories per day, you are). Your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories (net) to function every day. Severe food restriction can be a slippery slope into chronic disordered eating, be very careful.

Talk to your doctor or a nutritionist. Since you are still a child, your body is still growing and changing and the number of calories and macro ratios given on MFP may not be appropriate for you as this is a site for adults.
  • My suggestion would be to eat more. From what I've read on here you should be eating at least 1200 calories. You need food to fuel your body, and if you're not eating enough your body will hold onto the fat. Maybe just try upping your calories and see where that gets you :)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Shame 16 year old girl suffering from anoxeria! Get off this site and go seek help!
  • mlohith
    mlohith Posts: 2 Member
    You have GOT to eat more than 800 calories a day. Your body is going into starvation mode, thus holding onto everything you eat so making you gain. You are much better off moving and eating the minimum of 1200 calories a day than not. Yes. you initially lost weight, but your body is now leeching from your bones and your muscles..so the weight you lost, doesn't affect the amount of fat you've lost...

Does that make any sense?
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    I agree with everyone else.. Your not eating enough. 800 is not nearly enough.. How much are you trying to lose a week?
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member

Btw, I'm 5'10 and a 16 year old girl.

It's good that you are asking questions but the site rules state you must be 18. You may want to check out www.sparkteens.com
  • You need to eat at the very least 1200 calories. If you exercise you need to eat back at least half of the calories burned. You won't loose weight by starving yourself. You need fuel to burn fuel. and without 1200 calories you are not likely getting the nutrition you need.
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Your body needs more than 800 calories to function. Being so low encourages your body to go into starvation mode and hold on to the little nutrition it gets. You'll need to eat at or close to your caloric recommendation to see any substantial loss.
  • Eat more and exercise more...same thing happend to me, as soon as I consumed enough calories I lost 4 pound in 1.5 weeks. i do alot of cardio.
  • Eat more... :)
    I happen to lose a little more when I eat well and exercise.
    Eating less makes your body hold on to the fat. You don't want that.. so eat, so your body will be like " I'm not starving so I don't need to hold on to this fat"
  • And I find that exercising is better than lowering calories. It seems to be the easier of the two.
  • MissJamiie
    MissJamiie Posts: 56 Member
    You have to eat at least 1200 or else its not healthy and your body will store fat....and eat back most of your exercises calories your body needs fuel
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    From the stick posts at the top of the forum. I suggest you read this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    You're not eating nearly enough. Your body is holding on to any fat stores it can find because it thinks you're starving (which at only 800 calories per day, you are). Your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories (net) to function every day. Severe food restriction can be a slippery slope into chronic disordered eating, be very careful.

Talk to your doctor or a nutritionist. Since you are still a child, your body is still growing and changing and the number of calories and macro ratios given on MFP may not be appropriate for you as this is a site for adults.

Well said.
  • When you eat less than 1200 calories a day your body basically goes into starvation mode. It's trying to hold onto whatever it can because you're not giving yourself the nutrients you need. If you do this you can actually lose muscle too, You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day to lose weight and stay healthy. Eat 5-6 small meals a day and just watch your portion sizes. Stay away from packaged and premade products, go for fresh produce,chicken,fish,veggies.. stuff like that. and the weight will start coming off again. But if you starve yourself you'll actually gain weight, as crazy at it sounds.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Eating too little as a teenager is what killed my metabolism. When you don't eat enough, your body holds on to all calories because it's not sure when it will get more. Eat and exercise, and if that doesn't work go see the doctor.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    www.sparkteens.com

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/terms_of_use
    4. ELIGIBILITY

BY USING THE WEBSITE OR SERVICES, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AND ARE OTHERWISE LEGALLY QUALIFIED TO ENTER INTO AND FORM CONTRACTS UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. This Agreement is void where prohibited.
This discussion has been closed.