Gained weight eating 800 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• cnewlin86
    Options
    You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day. You don't want to slow down your metabolism. If you eat 800 calories and you burn 200 you are only giving your body 600 calories to live off of and your body needs more than that or it will slow your metabolism and your weight loss will slow down.

Eat more often, and you'll lose more weight. Small, but frequent, meals help keep your metabolism in high gear, and that means you'll burn more calories overall.

Check out this article for more advice: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/make-most-your-metabolism
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Not only will you struggle to lose more weight eating that little but your at risk of gaining more back. Sticking to one food, will drive you crazy, make sure you eat at least 1200, maybe even more as you are still young and growing, you need nutrition, you don't want to mess up your body long run.

Take a step back, look at what your proper diet used to be, cut out the bad stuff, eat more fruit and veg, control portion sizes and exercise more. If you take this in hand now it will be better in the long run. Crash dieting as you are will lead you on a path of yo yo dieting the rest of your life.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Shame 16 year old girl suffering from anoxeria! Get off this site and go seek help!

Wow, that's not necessary!
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Shame 16 year old girl suffering from anoxeria! Get off this site and go seek help!

Shame you think you're a doctor and that you should talk to a child that way.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I have lost 15 pounds so far, going from 175 pounds to 160. I forget what I ate to get that, I think it was the initial cutting down on my calories for an immediate weight loss. ( I used to eat 3+ bowls of cereal each morning, ect.) Or, it was because I ate fiber bars a lot, if you understand where I'm going with that.
    For a week I ate a net calorie intake of 800 calories, food calories never over 1300.
    And I gained .5 of a pound. I have no idea what is going on. I'd really like to lose more, I still look fat.
    Btw, I'm 5'10 and a 16 year old girl.
    How many calories should I be eating to lose weight.? Please help me.
    Should I stick with the 800, eat more, or less.?
    Exercise more/less?
    I would often ride the stationary bike or play Just Dance. Only burning like, 200 cals though.
    Please.

MFP has set up a defecit for you already. There's no need to be eating less than their guidelines and make sure you eat your exercise calories. You need to fuel your body. Keep going, make smart food choices, and exercise. With time and patience you will see the results you want.
  • leannamichelle
    leannamichelle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough calories. Also, you're 5"10 and weigh 160 and you feel you look FAT? That concerns me.
  • alohabrie
    Options
    You are just messing with your metabolism when you eat that few of calories. You also need to look at the foods you are eating - don't stick with cereal and fiber bars only. This is an important time for you to learn to eat properly - and so when you lose weight you won't be gaining and losing the rest of your life. Follow the MyPlate guidelines and eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies and complex carbohydrates, choose lean proteins and eat adequate calories and you'll be awesome. Good luck!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options

It's bull**** that these dumb ****s get on here and ask dumb questions like should I eat more than 1000 calories a day. She ain't no child she's 16 if she was 12 then yea she'd be a child. She's old enough to know better.
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You are really tall and definitely need more than 800 cals. Try netting at least 1200 and see if that helps :)
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options

It's bull**** that these dumb ****s get on here and ask dumb questions like should I eat more than 1000 calories a day. She ain't no child she's 16 if she was 12 then yea she'd be a child. She's old enough to know better.

If you really feel that way, aren't you old enough to know better than to feed into it with mindless replies that clearly aren't going to help anyone?
  • melrose09
    Options
    At 16, I think it's a good idea to discuss any dietary changes with your doctor. You are still growing and developing, so you need to make sure you are getting proper nutrition or you may have long lasting, unpleasant side effects. I don't think MFP is a good idea for you. It calculates everything for adults who are done developing. If you are concerned without reason, your doc may also help you find happiness in yourself. Remember...

skinny =/= healthy
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    At 5'10" ~ 160 pounds you are in the healthy range on the BMI scale. You may want to consult your family doctor about your possible body image issues. And I say possible because most teenaged girls have self-image concerns at 16, it doesn't mean you are at risk for developing an eating disorder.

Most likely, you may just need to develop some healthy eating habits and an exercise routine that makes you feel better about yourself. .

(((HUGS)))
  • leanmachinedream
    Options

I have to agree with you. It's really annoying. She may not necessarily know better than to eat more than 1000 calories a day but she isn't a kid and she clearly has a bad body image. No one here can help with that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Work on netting 1200 per day. You body will adjust to whatever you give it. When you increase your calories you may gain a pound or two as your body adjusts, but it'll be worth it to be healthy in the long run, and anything you gain will come back off.
This discussion has been closed.