Oatmeal

Options
How do you make it taste yummy? I use old fashioned oats and the only way I have found to make it taste good is adding some applesauce to it. If I cook it plain with fruit it just taste slimy and gross.

Replies

• jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just made some and thought it was pretty good.

I make it with almond milk.
    add a dash of salt, some cinnamon, and the slightest bit of vanilla extract.
    Then throw in some raisins and a few raw almonds.

I liked it :)
  • jasonr1442
    jasonr1442 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I make mine with water, then add a 1/4 cup of fat free milk and one packet of Stevia. I have it every morning!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I put some protein powder in it (if it has artificial sweetner then it will taste good for sure but I usually stay away from those). And .75 of a tbsp of maple syrup and 1oz coconut milk. Works for me.

I used to use a little bit of brown sugar with maple syrup before I started using protein powder.
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats

BOOM. I hope you aren't hungry. I love oatmeal and looking at all these recipes makes me drool :)
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I just made some and thought it was pretty good.

I make it with almond milk.
    add a dash of salt, some cinnamon, and the slightest bit of vanilla extract.
    Then throw in some raisins and a few raw almonds.

I liked it :)

I should try that =]
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I like to let my oats soak in the fridge overnight in water (Milk when I'm bulking) then add some almond butter (Peanut butter would probably work too, I just have a peanut allergy), then mix it and love it.

I've been known to add some blueberries or blackberries when it feels right. :smile:
  • nobo
    nobo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Some dried fruit and nuts, maybe? A little maple syrup or brown sugar and like tablespoon of half and half go a long way in enhancing the flavor without adding too many calories. Maybe look into the steel cut oats, too. They have more flavor and probably won't turn out slimy.
  • misfixit1
    misfixit1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I boil one small diced up apple with 2 tsp of cinnamon. Add oatmeal when apples are slightly cooked and cook oatmeal as directed. Let set 3 minutes add one packet of stevia. Eat up yummy. Or I cook oatmeal as directed add cinnamon and 1 cup of blueberries. With one packet of sweetener. I eat it every morning
  • bpk59
    bpk59 Posts: 3
    Options
    My lunch every day... Oatmeal with fresh blueberries or raspberries, a tsp of light brown sugar and my secret - a pinch of good cereal. I prefer Trader Joe's Vanilla clusters. Under 200 calories, and super filling!
  • andreacord
    Options
    I like adding protein powder to it, makes it creamier and bulks it up too.
  • tantort
    tantort Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    a little bit of peanut butter and some almonds or walnuts with a packet of sugar substitute and/or cinnamon. DELICIOUS
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    get some penzeys spices!! --> china cinnamon and apple pie spice and saute up some cut up apple in very light butter and add a bit of water when it sticks and butter is gone. season the apples with both and mix into your oatmeal! my Anthony loves it!!!
  • nmerley
    nmerley Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to mine. I have also added fruit, nuts, and agave necture. I find the protein powder is by far my fav.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    cinnamon honey and something creamy like milk.
  • jnbud2002
    Options
    These are some great ideas! I was wondering the same thing this afternoon when I made some. I tried a way that I saw someone put on here with a packet of diet swiss miss hot cocoa and peanut butter... I disagree with that person, soooo does not taste like a pb cup! haha, that's what I get for expecting. I figured I'd try it without the pb today, still not as great... I think I'm going to try it with some regular hot cocoa... just not the whole packet.
  • cburke55
    Options
    I add walnuts and 1.5 TLB of non fat plain yogurt. Yummy!
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If I have the time in the morning I'll make it over the stove, equal parts old fashioned oats/unsweetened almond milk, half a banana chopped and cooked in, splash of vanilla, cinnamon. (exactly how Kath makes them from katheats.com). Cook slowly, until fluffy, and then top it off with the other half banana on top. If I'm really having a sweet tooth I might throw some mini chocolate chips on top, or a drizzle of pure maple syrup. After it's done cookingI usually top it with the other half of my banana. The bananas sweeten it up so that i don't feel the need to smother it with brown sugar.

If I'm in a hurry, equal parts old fashioned oats/unsweetened almond milk, splash of vanilla, cinnamon, sprinkle of brown sugar. Let soak overnight. Grab it from the fridge, top it with 1/2 banana, some nuts if I have them, and yum yum. yes. Sooo yummy, and convenient when I'm working day shift.
  • hessoftexas
    hessoftexas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I make mine each morning (or sometimes the night before) like this:
    1/2 cup dry rolled oats
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 tsp raw sugar (I used to use a whole tablespoon...Victory!)
    touch of vanilla extract
    sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, or pumpkin pie or apple pie spice

:-)
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    get some penzeys spices!! --> china cinnamon and apple pie spice and saute up some cut up apple in very light butter and add a bit of water when it sticks and butter is gone. season the apples with both and mix into your oatmeal! my Anthony loves it!!!

LOVE Penzey's!!! have to disagree on the china cinnamon tho - their 'fancy vietnamese' cinnamon is definitely the best one. :)
  • rachelpries
    rachelpries Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal everyday for my second meal and this is what I do:

1/2 cup dry oats
    1 T chia seeds
    7-bite size prunes or 5 regular prunes (dices)
    Add 2/3 cup boiling water stir and cover until water is absorbed

(I take this to the yoga studio with me and eat it immediately following class)