just counting calories no excercise ?

Options
I understand exercise is good for you and burns fat but I want to know can i lose weight without exercise? I'm a nursing student and barely have time to sleep let along exercise I know when I'm finished I can start working out again but for now I'm gaining weight and really need some tips to lose it I was thinking no carbs or low carbs unprocessed food 1200 calories anyone try something close to this please and thank you

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    im a big advocate of opposite of that. every time i count calories i stop losing etc.
    whats that saying? something about if you cant find time to exercise now you will have to find time to be sick later... good luck though! hope whatever you do, you are able to find what works for your body
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    If you set your MFP goal to lose weight (from .5 to 2 lbs. weekly), it will set your calories at the deficit needed to lose that amount of weight without exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I understand exercise is good for you and burns fat but I want to know can i lose weight without exercise? I'm a nursing student and barely have time to sleep let along exercise I know when I'm finished I can start working out again but for now I'm gaining weight and really need some tips to lose it I was thinking no carbs or low carbs unprocessed food 1200 calories anyone try something close to this please and thank you

Deficit calories should always come from non-exercise daily activity calories anyway, because the main source of that effort is fat stores.
    When you exercise, you should actually feed it.

Diet is for weight loss, exercise is for body improvement.

Solution, increase your daily activity. Park farther away, always take the stairs. When folks go to smoke, you go for a walk. Brief walk during work. Take the long way sometimes.

Use the MFP calculator for your BMR, energy needs for basic functions of life.

Do NOT eat under this number.

To assist with that amount feeling like enough, perhaps increasing your protein will help so less desire to cheat. Fat is good too.
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    If you set your MFP goal to lose weight (from .5 to 2 lbs. weekly), it will set your calories at the deficit needed to lose that amount of weight without exercise.

Thank you, i saw you posted under the other one as well i appreciate it
  • smoochypearl
    Options

Deficit calories should always come from non-exercise daily activity calories anyway, because the main source of that effort is fat stores.
    When you exercise, you should actually feed it.

Diet is for weight loss, exercise is for body improvement.

Solution, increase your daily activity. Park farther away, always take the stairs. When folks go to smoke, you go for a walk. Brief walk during work. Take the long way sometimes.

Use the MFP calculator for your BMR, energy needs for basic functions of life.

Do NOT eat under this number.

To assist with that amount feeling like enough, perhaps increasing your protein will help so less desire to cheat. Fat is good too.

GREAT Tips thanks so much
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    what happens if i eat under that number? like instead of 1200 i eat 1000 or 800
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    While weight loss is basically from calorie deficit and that you CAN just lose weight from it, you increase the loss of lean muscle tissue if you don't exercise. Loss of lean muscle tissue means lowering your metabolic rate. And if for any reason you over eat (which is NOT uncommon after reaching goal) regain of weight will be much more likely. Also, it's VERY common for people who diet only to completely stall and plateau much faster than others that do it with consistent exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    While weight loss is basically from calorie deficit and that you CAN just lose weight from it, you increase the loss of lean muscle tissue if you don't exercise. Loss of lean muscle tissue means lowering your metabolic rate. And if for any reason you over eat (which is NOT uncommon after reaching goal) regain of weight will be much more likely. Also, it's VERY common for people who diet only to completely stall and plateau much faster than others that do it with consistent exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

i use to run everyday until school started it just takes all my energy and i fall asleep can't study so i will get back to that hopefully in a month so i wont gain whatever i'm about to lose back thanks
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

If you start eating very low calories, you run the risk of not getting in enough good nutition to keep your body healthy.
    And for some people, it also means that their weight loss can slow down or stall.
    Not a good idea.
  • heybales
    Options

Your metabolism will slow down to compensate. That is energy the body cannot get from itself, because it is actually taking care of all the cells with all kinds of functions.

The lag time for the slow down will provide some weight loss. How fast it occurs depends on how big of a deficit compared to previous eating level, how big under your BMR, how active you are that will use calories for movement from what you eat first before the body gets it.

At that point, you can then start eating less again. And it will happen again.
    I think you see a general direction.

Plus, if your BMR slows down by 400 calories because it doesn't have enough energy to do it's functions at full speed, that is a free 400 calories worth of calorie burn you just lost.

Here is example of what can happen. In this case, it was her exercise that pushed her under, not just diet by itself. You can ruin it either way.

http://www.exrx.net/Questions/StarvationEffect.html

A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004). A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week). A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories. An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender). After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted). The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

So her RMR went up over 300 calories. 2100 calories of free burn had been lost each week at the lowered BMR level.
  • smoochypearl
    Options

If you start eating very low calories, you run the risk of not getting in enough good nutition to keep your body healthy.
    And for some people, it also means that their weight loss can slow down or stall.
    Not a good idea.

*_* thanks
  • smoochypearl
    Options

Your metabolism will slow down to compensate. That is energy the body cannot get from itself, because it is actually taking care of all the cells with all kinds of functions.

The lag time for the slow down will provide some weight loss. How fast it occurs depends on how big of a deficit compared to previous eating level, how big under your BMR, how active you are that will use calories for movement from what you eat first before the body gets it.

At that point, you can then start eating less again. And it will happen again.
    I think you see a general direction.

Plus, if your BMR slows down by 400 calories because it doesn't have enough energy to do it's functions at full speed, that is a free 400 calories worth of calorie burn you just lost.

Here is example of what can happen. In this case, it was her exercise that pushed her under, not just diet by itself. You can ruin it either way.

http://www.exrx.net/Questions/StarvationEffect.html

A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004). A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week). A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories. An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender). After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted). The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

So her RMR went up over 300 calories. 2100 calories of free burn had been lost each week at the lowered BMR level.

wow thanks i know i can stay on 1200 past 3 days was eating about 700 calories then my friend told me to stop
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    im a big advocate of opposite of that. every time i count calories i stop losing etc.
    whats that saying? something about if you cant find time to exercise now you will have to find time to be sick later... good luck though! hope whatever you do, you are able to find what works for your body

thanks its just some days i'm awake 2 nights in a row..excercise is the last thing i want to do after my last test ill start up again
  • heybales
    Options
    wow thanks i know i can stay on 1200 past 3 days was eating about 700 calories then my friend told me to stop

I'd bet, if I was a betting man, that your BMR is 1500 plus/minus 100.

Whatever the number. Do you want to lose (your BMR) - 1200 = ? number of calories in free burn each and every day eventually?

You may get a month out of it, but then what?

If you were eating at 700 and not hungry, you may have accomplished it already.
  • TwistedBanana
    Options
    weight loss is all about calories in and calories out. I havent read all the comments above, but you do need to eat a certain amount of calories so that your body can function normally. You eat to nourish your brian, nervous system, bones, muscles...everything. if you're not eating enough your body will go into a starvation mode and store fat and if you reeeally aren't eating enough your body will start using your own tissues and other parts to keep itself alive!
    Working out helps you mentally, it helps with blood pressure, lowering your bad cholesterol, prevents diseases....soo many benefits! plus you get a rocking hot bod! You can lose weight without exercising, but make sure you are still eating enough and know that because you aren't exercising the process is going to be much slower so don't let yourself get frustrated and just take it day by day :) also because you don't have time to exercise you should park in farther spots in parking lots and always take the stairs (do little things that get your body moving) maybe do a few crunches or jumping jacks or jump rope in your room. You can always do a little something :) GOOD LUCK!!
  • smoochypearl
    Options

I'd bet, if I was a betting man, that your BMR is 1500 plus/minus 100.

Whatever the number. Do you want to lose (your BMR) - 1200 = ? number of calories in free burn each and every day eventually?

You may get a month out of it, but then what?

If you were eating at 700 and not hungry, you may have accomplished it already.

Ok i'm so confused this is to overwhelming -__- so your saying 1200 calories is to little?i
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i currently don't exercise and i have been eating at 1200-1400 but figured my bmr to be 1550 so i've upped my calories to that. I don't have time to go to the gym this semester but i'm going to purchase some dumb bells to lift a bit at home for a few minutes when i can. good luck!!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

i lost 50 lbs in 2007 by eating 1 meal a day (usually a large side order of mashed potatoes from boston market OR half of a subway 6 inch sandwich) and getting the bulk of my calories from apple juice. I would go through a 64oz bottle of juice in 2 days. I did this for 8 months...and the only reason i stopped was because my hair got very thin and patchy.

i never did any real exercise during that time, but i was also very unhealthy...which is why i lost hair (your body doesnt need it, its one of the first things to go when you're malnourished)

I was consuming about 800-900 calories a day. it eats away at your body.

when i lost the weight everyone was like "Oh wow you look great what did you do to lose weight" i told them flat out "i dont eat food" and they encouraged me with things like "thats amazing" and "keep it up"
  • smoochypearl
    Options

i lost 50 lbs in 2007 by eating 1 meal a day (usually a large side order of mashed potatoes from boston market OR half of a subway 6 inch sandwich) and getting the bulk of my calories from apple juice. I would go through a 64oz bottle of juice in 2 days. I did this for 8 months...and the only reason i stopped was because my hair got very thin and patchy. i never did any real exercise during that time, but i was also very unhealthy...which is why i lost hair.

I was consuming about 800-900 calories a day. it eats away at your body.

when i lost the weight everyone was like "Oh wow you look great what did you do to lose weight" i told them flat out "i dont eat food" and they encouraged me.

so how much do you eat now
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You can loose weight just from calorie counting but I don't think you will like the result. Without stretching, toning and strength exercises the chance of you winding up with a lot of loose hanging skin at the end is much greater. If you are loosing weight for health or appearance I highly recommend you do some exercise every week, Anyone can add walking to their schedule, spend a few minutes lifting text books over your head or doing sit ups. 10 minutes after each meal is an easy 30 minutes a day.