just counting calories no excercise ?

Options

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been doing it - I work long hours and generally start and finish when its dark so I can only exercise on weekends most of the time and I'm down 10lbs :-)

how much do you eat

hun you keep asking the same question but there is no right answer. you need to find what is right for you.

its recommended that people with little to no activity eat 1200 calories..but you might find that you're super hungry eating 1200 and need more than that.

we dont know how tall you are, your weight right now or how much you want to lose. that would really help.

oooo I c\

i found this
    http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/

and it says around 1400 so whoever said 1500 was close

Well it depends on the person, as was stated before there's no right answer to this. Typically the absoloute lowest that's ever reccomended is 1200 cals/ day. Conversely, many diets start at 1,500 cals/ day. Go to your "tools" tab and calculate your BMR. That's the minium required calories you'd need to maintain your weight if you did absoloutly nothing at all (ie. in a coma). Many people can lose if they just eat their BMR. Mind you healthy weight loss is slow. And, in fact, since you've probably screwed yourself over a bit eating such little cals you may gain first then lose.

Honestly I've never bought the whole "I'm too busy to exercise" bit. If there's time to be online, there's time to exercise.
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    Yes, I've been doing it - I work long hours and generally start and finish when its dark so I can only exercise on weekends most of the time and I'm down 10lbs :-)

how much do you eat

hun you keep asking the same question but there is no right answer. you need to find what is right for you.

its recommended that people with little to no activity eat 1200 calories..but you might find that you're super hungry eating 1200 and need more than that.

we dont know how tall you are, your weight right now or how much you want to lose. that would really help.

oooo I c\

i found this
    http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/

and it says around 1400 so whoever said 1500 was close

Well it depends on the person, as was stated before there's no right answer to this. Typically the absoloute lowest that's ever reccomended is 1200 cals/ day. Conversely, many diets start at 1,500 cals/ day. Go to your "tools" tab and calculate your BMR. That's the minium required calories you'd need to maintain your weight if you did absoloutly nothing at all (ie. in a coma). Many people can lose if they just eat their BMR. Mind you healthy weight loss is slow. And, in fact, since you've probably screwed yourself over a bit eating such little cals you may gain first then lose.

Honestly I've never bought the whole "I'm too busy to exercise" bit. If there's time to be online, there's time to exercise.

im only online because i'm in the ER..please i don't need to be judge thanks
  • ErikaNichele
    Options
    what happens if i eat under that number? like instead of 1200 i eat 1000 or 800

i lost 50 lbs in 2007 by eating 1 meal a day (usually a large side order of mashed potatoes from boston market OR half of a subway 6 inch sandwich) and getting the bulk of my calories from apple juice. I would go through a 64oz bottle of juice in 2 days. I did this for 8 months...and the only reason i stopped was because my hair got very thin and patchy. i never did any real exercise during that time, but i was also very unhealthy...which is why i lost hair.

I was consuming about 800-900 calories a day. it eats away at your body.

when i lost the weight everyone was like "Oh wow you look great what did you do to lose weight" i told them flat out "i dont eat food" and they encouraged me.

so how much do you eat now

well, to elaborate further: i kept the weight that i lost off for 18 months - it helped that i became more active...but then i went on birth control and the hormones made me gain 35 lbs and depression set in. I've maintained my weight (in the 260s) for about 2 years. thankfully i didnt "balloon" up any further. i attribute that to the fact that i've never been a big eater. but now i'm back at square 1.

Since joining MFP, it has me set at 1,570 calories (originally 1600). 200 of those calories come from my medicine - so that right there is 200 calories im not eating. If i take vitamins and supplements thats another 100-150 calories i wont be eating as well. I try to meet my calorie goals within 100 calories.

I exercise several times a week (3-5) but im not great at eating my exercise calories...so when i exercise i always end up with 200-400 extra calories.

I have some bad days, days where i just dont feel like eating, or i get a late start....but then i throw a super healthy smoothie in to the mix.

So in answer to your question...i TRY to consume at least 1450-1500 calories...im not perfect at it. theres stuff i have to work on (like eating breakfast and not trying to get all my calories in at night) but its a learning process.

In all honesty it doesnt matter what time you eat... What matters is what you eat and how often. I eat breakfast at 12 noon and have my last meal at 3 am... Ive lost 20 lbs in last 90 days!

1. We have all dieted before, crash diets or what have you so our metabolisms have slowed down... So speed it up! By eating every 3 or so hours about 250 to 300 cals each meal.

2. Eat fresh foods rather than frozen, stay away from processed foods and sodas for sure! Even diet soda (thats the worst)

3. Drink lots of water! (try not to make a habit of drinking your calories...eat them) I only drink water or coffee (black) during the week and save the calorie drinks for cheat days... (unless its a meal replacement smoothie).

4. Have cheat days...like a reward! I only do cheats when I hit a plateau, which happens on low cal diets about every 6 to 10 lbs or so

5. Eat back your cals from exercise..if you are exercising

6. Definitely park farther away and take the stairs instead of elevators
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    you can bt you will to watch each item closely and eat health-fully at work, good luck girlie! weight loss will be minimal
  • taramaureen
    Options

I'm not judging, I just said I don't buy it.
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    what happens if i eat under that number? like instead of 1200 i eat 1000 or 800

i lost 50 lbs in 2007 by eating 1 meal a day (usually a large side order of mashed potatoes from boston market OR half of a subway 6 inch sandwich) and getting the bulk of my calories from apple juice. I would go through a 64oz bottle of juice in 2 days. I did this for 8 months...and the only reason i stopped was because my hair got very thin and patchy. i never did any real exercise during that time, but i was also very unhealthy...which is why i lost hair.

I was consuming about 800-900 calories a day. it eats away at your body.

when i lost the weight everyone was like "Oh wow you look great what did you do to lose weight" i told them flat out "i dont eat food" and they encouraged me.

so how much do you eat now

well, to elaborate further: i kept the weight that i lost off for 18 months - it helped that i became more active...but then i went on birth control and the hormones made me gain 35 lbs and depression set in. I've maintained my weight (in the 260s) for about 2 years. thankfully i didnt "balloon" up any further. i attribute that to the fact that i've never been a big eater. but now i'm back at square 1.

Since joining MFP, it has me set at 1,570 calories (originally 1600). 200 of those calories come from my medicine - so that right there is 200 calories im not eating. If i take vitamins and supplements thats another 100-150 calories i wont be eating as well. I try to meet my calorie goals within 100 calories.

I exercise several times a week (3-5) but im not great at eating my exercise calories...so when i exercise i always end up with 200-400 extra calories.

I have some bad days, days where i just dont feel like eating, or i get a late start....but then i throw a super healthy smoothie in to the mix.

So in answer to your question...i TRY to consume at least 1450-1500 calories...im not perfect at it. theres stuff i have to work on (like eating breakfast and not trying to get all my calories in at night) but its a learning process.

In all honesty it doesnt matter what time you eat... What matters is what you eat and how often. I eat breakfast at 12 noon and have my last meal at 3 am... Ive lost 20 lbs in last 90 days!

1. We have all dieted before, crash diets or what have you so our metabolisms have slowed down... So speed it up! By eating every 3 or so hours about 250 to 300 cals each meal.

2. Eat fresh foods rather than frozen, stay away from processed foods and sodas for sure! Even diet soda (thats the worst)

3. Drink lots of water! (try not to make a habit of drinking your calories...eat them) I only drink water or coffee (black) during the week and save the calorie drinks for cheat days... (unless its a meal replacement smoothie).

4. Have cheat days...like a reward! I only do cheats when I hit a plateau, which happens on low cal diets about every 6 to 10 lbs or so

5. Eat back your cals from exercise..if you are exercising

6. Definitely park farther away and take the stairs instead of elevators

wow congrats ..thanks so much
  • smoochypearl
    Options

well thanks for nothing then
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I dropped my first 20lb through just counting calories with MFP.
    Make sure your activity level is set correctly and give it a try. Maybe once the first bit of weight comes off you'll be more motivated to find time to exercise?
    I got to 22lb and decided to get my *kitten* in the gym and try running (I felt too heavy and unwell before to even consider it) so I got a good Couch to 5K program and started a circuit weight-training routine.
    You WILL lose weight calorie counting, but lifting and exercise is essential to tone and make the best of your weight loss!
    Just start with a home dvd like 30DS or Zumba or anything you fancy and some tins of beans as weights.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It is 80% food and 20% exercise, so it is possible to lose weight without exercising. I lost 12kg (26.5 pounds) without regular exercise. I did stall at that point and so have switched from weight watchers to mfp in the hopes that it gets me going again. Also I have started exercising in the last couple of weeks. The reason I wasn't exercising is because I had a small baby. She is big enough now that I can fit it in around her. Plus, having lost quite a lot of weight I actually feel like exercising now! If it comes down to having to choose one over the other, I would worry about eating healthily first and the exercise second.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I lost weight years ago without much exercise until I was a lot lighter but I gained it all back. Now I keep my calories at around 1200 and I exercise yet I find it hard to even shift a lb a month. I always regret not exercising from the start the first time round. I know it can be hard when you work a busy job but maybe find something you can do for half an hour a day.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i have not been near a gym or a treadmill since i started MPF and iv lost 13lbs without any problems so far xx
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    this is really encouraging because i need to lose 20lbs
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

there's no need to be a fitness dictator

heck maybe perhaps she just doesn't want to work out, well sense she is an adult she has that right, right?
  • taramaureen
    Options

So all you got out of my original response was "I don't buy you don't have time to exercise"? Wow.
  • taramaureen
    Options

there's no need to be a fitness dictator

heck maybe perhaps she just doesn't want to work out, well sense she is an adult she has that right, right?

All I said is I've never bought the "I don't have time" excuse. No judging, IDGAF if she exercises or not, just say you don't want to, don't make excuses :flowerforyou:
  • terriph
    Options
    I've lost over 37lbs with no exercise whatsoever. What I have done, though, is be more aware that I'm not taking exercise - so instead of the lift I use the stairs (mostly), when I'm walking from the station to work - I try to increase my stride length and walk faster - stuff like that. I am picking up the exericse a bit now - I'm trying to swim at least once a week. Good luck.
  • smoochypearl
    Options

So all you got out of my original response was "I don't buy you don't have time to exercise"? Wow.

the whole " you screwed yourself ..i don't buy that" is a little much.... clearly we all have some kind of problems if were on MFP i don't know why feel that was appropriate
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't really burn fat, per se. You're always burning fat. exercise just creates more a demand for fat, and all other energy sources. If you don't feed it enough, your metabolism will slow down, and lets not forget that your body needs more than calories. Below 1000 calories and where is your nutrition going to come from?

Not to pick on the original poster, but for some reason people default to this idea of needing to become an athlete(jogger) in order to lose weight. If you want to become an athlete of some type, then you need to eat like an athlete, and that should be around maintenance at a minimum, if not a surplus. Otherwise, you soon realize it's not easily sustainable, you start to feel like crap, too tired, getting sick, restlessness, slow weight loss, etc. And how many people prepare their bodies for the demands of running which doubles and triples load on the joints? about 1% Hello plantar fascial tears, shin splints, spurs, bunions, and general gait issues. Then people cut calories too low, then cut fat too low! Geez. Your hormones really like fat!

All one needs is brisk walking and I still make my clients prepare for this. 30 minutes a day, or about 300 calories of walking riding or something. The average person doesn't need much more than 500 because they don't want to or know how to eat yet.

Eating real food in proper proportions and timing can work wonders. But noone knows how to eat! I like the site because I will soon have clients here and it's easy to group them and their intakes in one spot where I can get to them all. But this place is just like every other internet forum...lots of b.s. to wade through. Be careful
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that - as a nursing student - you might get more exercise than you think at some points. Especially during placements and when you're running around the Uni getting things sorted and getting to classes.

I'm a radiotherapy student and on those full-on days, where I don't have time for my usual workout, I try to fit in as much moving about during my day as possible. Get off a bus stop early, take the long way around the campus to get to classes, do a brisk walk around the block after an hour of studying. It all adds up!

When you start doing placements and get employment (if you haven't already), you'll find yourself on your feet a lot. So remember all those calories you burn from that!
  • taramaureen
    Options

the whole " you screwed yourself ..i don't buy that" is a little much.... clearly we all have some kind of problems if were on MFP i don't know why feel that was appropriate

"you screwed yourself" was meant to be taken somewhat tounge in cheek. You see when you are on a sustained low calorie diet your body gets used to the low cals then freaks out when you actually feed it properly by gaining weight. Since you were on a ridiculously low cal diet, and are in fact trying to eat healthier you may end up gaining weight before you lose it on a simple low calorie diet. This was all I was trying to convey and, in fact, stated as such. You will encounter many kinds of people on MFP. I'm just one to not sugar coat things.