Too cold to run??

Options
At what temperature does everyone stop running? I used to be a fairly good runner. At my peak I did about 3 miles no problem about 5 times a week. I have since moved to a colder climate (And gained about 30 pounds:grumble: ) Part of me thinks it might be dangerous to run when it's really cold (no sidewalks in my neighborhood and it gets icy) but maybe I just need motivation to start up again.......

So what do all of you runners do during the cold months? If you do get out there any advice on how to make it bearable?

Side note: No gym membership and our family is on very strict budget right now due to being on only one income, so it's not really an option :( although I wish it was.......

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I used to run in the Army in Alaska at -20 F. It's not a problem if you dress properly for it. Icy streets and traffic is another question that you have to evaluate based on local conditions.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I remember in 2001 at my first duty station the Army decided to put this Texan was upstate NY. And I reported in December. We use to run outside up to -25, 3Xs a week. I would have artic mittens on and a bacalava. Also made sure I put a bandaid on my nipples so I wouldn't be screaming like a banshee in pain when I jumped in the shower.

I got use to the cold over time but it was pretty miserable starting out.
  • jengessler
    Options
    if you have On Demand, look up some cardio classes on their free on demand fitness channel. Otherwise, there are some free sites (and youtube videos) with free cardio workouts you can follow along with...at least to keep your heart rate going while you're waiting for the ice to melt.

I'm scared of running on ice, though, so people may have better methods to winter running.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have just started running and although I dont mind running in the cold much (even more if I get better gear, Sunday was below freezing and my legs got a bit cold, need better running pants for cold weather) but I don't think I would run on ice. We don't tend to have ice on the road very often though so its not an issue... it gets taken care of really quickly, and a bit of snow would be fine to run in... I'm just afraid of ice.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The cold doesn't bother me. I've run in -12C. I layer up and the cold itself doesn't bother me. My issues for winter running are snow, ice and wind chill.
  • tfancey
    tfancey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is an option for you but lots of hockey arenas have tracks that cirlce the arena that are used for walking and jogging.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Temp is rarely an issue for me... wind chill can be though. With the right clothing though you should be able to run in most any temps.
  • smiley22claire
    Options
    The temptation is to wear too many clothes. I ran in 0 degrees last night with just one extra layer on top with long sleeves, a climacool/dry fit top next to my skin to absorb sweat (nice) , longer length running leggings and a slightly thicker sock.

A hat is a good idea but often makes your head too hot after a while - so either have the capacity to carry extra clothing items as you take them off - or just wear an ear warmer. I don't like gloves as I always end up carrying them - my hands defrost within the first km so it's only a short term ouch.
    Someone once gave me a tip just to roll your gloves down away from your wrists if your hands get too hot - a bit of air circulating round your palms. never tried it though.

Make sure you have an extra layer for when you finish your run (especially if your end destination isn't home), so the sweat doesn't start to cool you right down. Or, if your run finishes near home, get home, get undressed and have a warm shower.

As far as I have heard, cross country running shoes can be a good investment for running in icy conditions - but as that kind of defeats the object of your cost saving, they aren't always necessary... just ease off on your pace. I've never ran with these shoes, I've just ran with more care

Also - obvious one, sorry, make sure your running shoes are properly dry from your last run before going out again in them. (or have two pairs :tongue: )
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I lived at over 8000 ft in the mountains of Colorado for 6 years. The college where I worked had one of the best cross country and track and field programs in the U.S. (It regularly churned out athletes who went on to compete in the Olympics.) I learned from them that you can pretty much run in any weather if you wear the right clothing, even when it's a brisk ten below zero.

Proper head covering and good socks are the two most important items, to supplement a great pair of tights and upper body layers. I always looked for cold weather clothing that was designed for runners and I believe that helped.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I hate the cold, I live in Texas, so I don't have to worry about it much, but if it gets below 45ish I don't run. Here it's a stinging cold. Different cold than is in Oregon (I've lived there) and so it hurts my throat and chest to run if it's below that
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Define "cold".... :smile:

The runners in my neighborhood seem to disappear once it gets below about -20C. The dog walkers disappear at about -30C. (Everyone disappears at -45C)

As for me... I'm not a runner, I'm a walker... but once it gets below about -5C I go indoor. I'm soft like that. lol
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I remember in 2001 at my first duty station the Army decided to put this Texan was upstate NY. And I reported in December. We use to run outside up to -25, 3Xs a week. I would have artic mittens on and a bacalava. Also made sure I put a bandaid on my nipples so I wouldn't be screaming like a banshee in pain when I jumped in the shower.

I got use to the cold over time but it was pretty miserable starting out.

^I'm sorry...I read this and just started to giggle..ANYWAY, I don't think the cold is really an issue as long as you dress properly for it!
  • JenniLisette
    Options
    i live in maryland and have plan A, walking, jogging or running about 3 times a week, but if it goes under 45 then i have a plan B, plenty of workout videos ( if you're unable to purchase any, you can go to your local library and pick one up, or if you cable they have a few chanels with pilates or some type of aerobics you can follow along) Best of Luck!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    We probably don't get as cold as in some part of the States (in London, Great Britain), but you can ideally run in any weather, (only time will not run is in snow) you just need to have the proper running/outdoors wear! I tend to run with a breathable tight running shirt (Long sleeve), on top of that depending on conditions, either a lightwear running windbreaker or a long sleeve running jackets, running gloves(can't bear to have cold hands/fingers and a bandana (full hat makes my head too hot). Unfortunately initital cost is a bit on the expensive side, but well worth it for protection from the elements. Take heart, I do notice lots of people (mostly men, lol) running with shorts and t-shirts, but some do run wearing a fleece and gloves, I've been running for over 4 years now and still can't run wearing those limited amount of clothing!

If you want to wait until the weather gets better and I would seriously suggest looking at Youtube where there's lots of free workout DVD's which could be a start until you venture out! Wishing you all the best!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Spokane, WA, we would run in just about anything...just not icy (too dangerous) and driving snow (made for very unhappy toddler in a jogging stoller). As said toddler had a habit of waking us up at 5 am, we ran most mornings.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've run races in the low 20s, but my neighbors don't take care of their sidewalks in the winter, and I'm a wuss, so I'd rather run on the treadmill if it's below freezing.
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I live on Ottawa, Ontario Canada and run all winter. The coldest was -40 after an ice storm. It's actually easier and safer to run in the ice and snow then walking in it. the trick is to layer up and wear a wind resistant shell.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Unless it's ice or snow, I don't think it can be " too cold " for most of the US.

I've seen people running outside here at -35. By -40, everyone has bailed.
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    I'll run in any temperature and conditions (except lightening). The key, as many have said, is to dress properly. My rule of thumb is to dress as if it were 20 degrees warmer than it actually is, but I always cover my hands and ears in the colder temps. Also, if you gradually work into the cold temps (ie run throughout the Fall and Winter as the temps gradually decline) you will be better off. The cold won't hurt your lungs and your body will be used to it. Good luck!
  • thinbride0004
    thinbride0004 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It gives me motivation to just get over being a whimp and start running more here, after I pick up some serious running gear (Except when it is icy....I'm also glad to know that other people worry about this as well and that I shouldn't push it).

I do miss the sense of accomplishment that I used to get with running....maybe after a little while I'll start to get that back :smile: