10k question

Options
So this is kind of a weird worry to have, but here goes: I am a regular runner. I usually run 3 miles 3-4 times a week and one longer run (4-5 miles) once a week. I've never been super-fast, but I'm not just shuffling along, either. I just signed up for my first-ever race, a 10k, in May. When I'm running, being passed always bums me out. At least, passed by people who don't look like marathoners. But I'm guessing I will be passed by hundreds of people. For those of you who have run races before, did you acclimate to that since there were so many other people? Or was it discouraging? I guess I'm having visions of being the last one to cross the finish line, then sitting down and weeping. Not really, but I don't want to embarrass myself in my first race!

Replies

• Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't have a competitive streak when it comes to running - I race to finish, not to win. It's the personal victory of accomplishing the distance set forth that fuels me. You just have to remember that everybody has different abilities and training. I, too, run a moderate pace (anywhere between 9-11 mph, depending on the distance) and have never come in last. In fact, I'm usually in the top half for my age category (I'm 33).

From your picture, it appears you are a mom. Just remember that you have other responsibilities in your life other than training to win a race. For me, I'm a mom and I work 36 hrs a week. I exercise as much as possible, but it's not nearly what I would do if my schedule allowed. You are doing the best under your circumstances!
  • weep1872
    weep1872 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well let me start by saying CONGRATS on running! I have been running races for the last 3 years and the best advice I can say is do a training program that you like, I use Hal Higdon, www.halhigdon.com. The long runs on the weekend or whenever you do them are one of the most important things to do. You need to get up to long run of 6 to 8 miles and a very comfortable, even slow pace is fine. I have 40 pounds to lose and have been running 1/2 marathons, 10k, and 5k races with a steady pace of 8.3 or 9 min a mile. So, you can do it. Don't worry about people passing you, you will pass plenty yourself. Have fun and have a great mix of music on you Ipod....Good Luck with your training!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I admit I love passing people when I race, but others passing me is ok. The only person I'm really running against is myself.
  • jlburke2
    jlburke2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of 5K events and I am far from a fast runner - I do about a 12 minute mile pace over the course. In my experience, if you stage at the start in the right pace range (usually that's how they group people, I think) then as you run you'll pass just as many people as pass you. At least that's what I've experienced. No need to fret over how you look as everyone is in the boat and focused on their own race.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I, too, run a moderate pace (anywhere between 9-11 mph, depending on the distance) and have never come in last. In fact, I'm usually in the top half for my age category (I'm 33).

Do you mean 9-11 minutes per mile? Because 9-11 mph would mean finishing a 5k in 16-20 minutes, and that's a bit faster than moderate!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    When people pass me, it pumps me up (or maybe pisses me off) and I run faster!!:laugh: My pace is always faster during an official race, being it people that pass me or the atmosphere, Im not sure! Congrats on your race and good luck!!
  • mamaspencer
    mamaspencer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have run a few 5ks and people have passed me and I'm okay with that I didn't come in last and each time I did it my time got better and also when people pass you it makes you want to run faster and try harder.....my time for a 5k run outside was 5 minutes faster than on the treadmill strcitly because I was motivated by others!! Don't be discouraged especially since this is your first, you will feel amazing when you cross that finish line and so proud of yourself and you'll want to do it again :) Good Luck!!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just set a realistic time goal for yourself and try to beat it! :smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been running for nearly 15 years and I'm always towards the back of the pack, and have even been the last before! You're still going faster than the people who never got off the sofa!

Check out my blog about coming last in races, and why it can even be the best place to be!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/nice-guys-and-girls-finish-last-108783
  • reynolds33
    reynolds33 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't mind people passing me by unless they are pushing a baby stroller and pregnant.

I just ran the Redondo Beach Super Bowl 10K with my son and we were both bent on passing two guys in front of us. It had nothing to do with being competitive and all to do with the fact that they were running in nothing but speedos and cowboy hats. We smoked them!

Good luck on your 10K and have fun!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    SO MANY runners are really only competitive with themselves. They're trying to beat their best time, not trying to beat you. See if you can adopt that attitude. If you can't, at least remember that's probably where most everybody else is at in their heads.

Also, avoid going too fast too early because you're worried about getting passed. A lot of those overzealous people who pass you sprinting along that first mile are going to start to struggle earlier than you- the person with the good mindset who is running smart and taking it easy the first mile or two.
  • butchrogers
    Options
    The only thing I would do is set a goal. Then you don't have to worry about what people are doing around you. You will finish with the people that have the same goal.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    trust me, in the race, once the adrenaline and excitement of the race kicks in, you'll go much faster. i had previously only run a 9mm mile pace in training, but my first 5 miler, i ran an 8:30mm continuously.
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I believe that getting to the start line of any race is a VICTORY so that while I run the race I just concentrate on what I am doing and let the other runners do their own thing..

I do this because I have no idea what everyone else's background is in running. I also want to enjoy my own journey in this running life --- every race I practise what pace I want to run and there will ALWAYS BE FASTER RUNNERS than me.

A fact in my running life is that in my first 10k race I was 2nd last. There was no embarrassment, just relief and pride that I DID IT.

Good luck in May and congratulations on stepping up to a race. This is how we all started and many of us are ADDICTED.
    Keep us posted on how you do and MAY THE WIND ALWAYS BE AT YOUR BACK :)
  • lilybug13
    Options
    I find that as long as you pace yourself well, (Don't take off too fast...) you will only be passed in the first half mile or so. After that, you will do all the passing (of people who took off too fast :-) )
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been running for nearly 15 years and I'm always towards the back of the pack, and have even been the last before! You're still going faster than the people who never got off the sofa!

Check out my blog about coming last in races, and why it can even be the best place to be!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/nice-guys-and-girls-finish-last-108783
    ^^^This

To the OP:

If you race a lot or if you belong to a group of runners who also race you'll find yourself among the same people most of the time during your races. Let them be your competitors. If someone is just a little faster than you, they can be your motivation to train harder and race faster and you can be their motivation too. They'll be trying to keep you from passing them.
  • bas0179
    Options
    Congratulations on running your first 10K. That is awesome! I have run in alot of races ranging from 5Ks-marathons and when people pass me it makes me work that much harder. You do need to keep in mind that a lot of people will start out really fast and then fade off. Try not to get caught up in the fast start because that can ultimately lead to you getting tired faster. Try to stick to a pace you are comfortable with and you will be surprised how many of the people that passed you are behind you after you cross that finish line. Try to think of the race as if you are racing against yourself. Set goals at different points in the race. Also, never discourage yourself when people pass you or you feel like you are not running at your best. I believe running these races are 25% physical and 75% mental. Having a positive mindset will make all the difference.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a defeat or discouraging when I get passed. You'll pass people too - do you keep track of that?

I also don't run to beat other people - I do it for me. To see what I'm capable of and to determine my worth in my own eyes on my own terms.

What I enjoy most about running in races is the sense of community. When else do you see so many people running en masse like that? Enjoy the race! Talk to other runners, make friends :) They don't have to be competition you know - you get to choose if their friends or foes.

Good luck!
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    I agree with many of the comments above. I would set a time goal for yourself and just try to beat that. I've done many 5Ks and am now doing half marathons. When I would run a 5K it was more about RACING the other people, but as my distances increase I find myself more focused on "running my race" and setting personal goals for myself. That being said, I highly doubt you will be the last one. I'm not sure about a 10K, but with a half marathon you will see people walking or doing a combo of run/walk. Good luck!
  • rebecca_d35
    Options
    Thanks all. You are very helpful. And I'll let you know how it goes. I do need to start making time for longer runs. Like one other poster mentioned, I'm a mom to two young kids and work full-time, so it's hard to carve out larger blocks of time. But I will!