Eating past 6pm?

Options
According to many diet experts they say you should not eat after 6pm.

On 2 of my exercise days I do not eat until nearer 8pm.

I tried to eat my evening meal before I exercised but it made me feel sick.

Is it really bad to eat this late?

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    no. Just eat at a deficit.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't see how time matters. We don't even eat dinner most nights until 6:30 because my husband works until 6. I do try to cut myself off after around 8 when we put the kids down to bed because I'll snack the night away but if you have calories for it the actual time of day shouldn't matter.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    According to many diet experts they say you should not eat after 6pm.

I would not put much faith in any "expert" that makes this claim.
    [/quote]

Not at all, assuming that you aren't overconsuming calories.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The reason for that is so that your food has a decent chance to digest properly. I would suggest on your 2 exercise nights, to have soup. Eat a big mid afternoon snack. You can even reverse your day and start with a BIG breakfast, medium lunch and then the soup after work out! :flowerforyou: Just a though ....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's fine. I eat IN bed.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Meal timing (and size, for that matter) are irrelevant when it comes to weight loss. As long as you are in a caloric deficit, when it's all said and done, you will lose weight.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Bunk. It's midnight you have to be watch out for....
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Christ. I don't get home until sometime between half 7 and half 8 - depending what gym class I go to! And I am ravenous after so need to fill myself up! I eat normally a 500cal dinner sometimes at 9pm - I cant not eat!

And its been no detriment to me :-) x
  • mazp12
    mazp12 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    well I eat my tea at 8pm and usually have something for supper about 11pm and I am losing weight so I dont think it really matters, I dont think I could eat at 6pm then have nothing else till morning !
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The reason for that is so that your food has a decent chance to digest properly. I would suggest on your 2 exercise nights, to have soup. Eat a big mid afternoon snack. You can even reverse your day and start with a BIG breakfast, medium lunch and then the soup after work out! :flowerforyou: Just a though ....

Really? Can you explain that for me?

Because Digestion is a parasympathetic nervous system dominant process and is most stimulated when you are relaxed
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat my last meal when I get home from the gym which can range anywhere between 10 and 11pm and then go to sleep around 1. I think the no eating after 6pm rule is a bunch of crap.
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Christ. I don't get home until sometime between half 7 and half 8 - depending what gym class I go to! And I am ravenous after so need to fill myself up! I eat normally a 500cal dinner sometimes at 9pm - I cant not eat!

And its been no detriment to me :-) x

^^ Same here. I am a firm believer that you should eat when you're hungry, obviously watching the calorie intake and the food you eat. Especially after a workout! Keep in mind to stay under your calorie limit.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I eat every few hours... so I usually eat dinner around 6:30 and then have my evening snack around 8:00 8:30... as long as you are eating healthy and eating on some what of a schedule I don't see why it should matter.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The reason there are times when not to eat at night are based on the fact that people are more likely to eat too much. It gives your system time to start digesting. It really depends on you. If you don't blow your diet with nighttime snacking, then eat whenever you need!

I personally "close" the kitchen at 8pm. I go to bed at 10pm. I find it works for me.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Your body doesnt treat a calorie any differently at 11am or 11pm.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    OMG this must be why can't lose weight! It all makes sense to me now. :noway:
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Will just carry on then. :happy:
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have to take pain killer tablets all the time at regular intervals so eating late in the evening is often a must. I lost my main 30lb in my first year of dieting even tho' I was eating any time. I have plateaud for the last year due to the meds that I have to take not because of my eating plan.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Not at all, assuming that you aren't overconsuming calories.

^ This.
    As long as you aren't over your calories for the day you are fine.

I'm so busy that the only time I usually have to eat dinner is closer to bed.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    What happens if you work night shifts and wake up at 6 pm to eat before heading to work?

This is why I don't like or adhere to hard and fast "rules" of dieting/fitness. You need to figure out what works for YOU. Screw the rest. Most advice is so general it becomes useless. Try something. If you have negative results, don't do it again. If it works for you, tune out all the other BS and keep at it.

You're the one that's going to have to live with the consequences anyway, so who's opinion should matter the most? A diet expert's or yours?