This is what happens when you eat processed foods...

Options
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/ramen-digestion_n_1263825.html?ref=food&ir=Food

Quite interesting to see how the body breaks down processed foods and chemicals compared to whole foods.

Now, if only I can cut down myself...

Replies

• 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Cool video!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Cool video!

Agreed!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I'll check it out after breakfast. :wink:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/ramen-digestion_n_1263825.html?ref=food&ir=Food

Quite interesting to see how the body breaks down processed foods and chemicals compared to whole foods.

Now, if only I can cut down myself...

Ack! not chemicals!

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-blum-chemicals-20120122,0,7114800.story
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat a TON of processed foods. I'm okay with it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I see and hear lots of things in this video that look and sound scary/ harmful at first glance. But, honestly - there isn't anything truly, honestly and scientifically scary in this video. I think it's sensational, and that's about all.

I'll also add the disclaimer that I don't really eat a ton of processed food. I love to cook and just prefer the taste and texture of my homemade goods. I don't think that I need to buy flour and eggs at the farmer's market to be successful in making healthy homemade noodles.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    thank you, great article. i also wish that i could clean up my diet and stop eating processed foods, Im trying but i still have packaged snacks alot. My favorite way to describe things such as soda is as "Chemical goo" and this definately helps me decide whether or not to consume it.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I understand the mesage to be that the human body is capable of processing processed foods. Good to know.
  • exacerbe
    Options
    I see and hear lots of things in this video that look and sound scary/ harmful at first glance. But, honestly - there isn't anything truly, honestly and scientifically scary in this video. I think it's sensational, and that's about all.

I'll also add the disclaimer that I don't really eat a ton of processed food. I love to cook and just prefer the taste and texture of my homemade goods. I don't think that I need to buy flour and eggs at the farmer's market to be successful in making healthy homemade noodles.

I agree -- I wasn't posting this as a "DON'T EAT PROCESSED FOODS" fear-mongering post. I love a good sandwich from Chick-Fil-A as much as anyone else. More-so, I just found it interesting regarding the time it takes stomach acid to break the food down.

I'm a firm believer in moderation. But I do believe that a lot of processed food is not healthy -- mostly because it's full of sodium, sugar, and fat.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    sodium, sugar, and fat.

3 of my favorite things, add protein in and you've got the #s I try to meet and exceed daily. :smile:
    *editing to say sorry, I'm just not keen on one size fits all.

Now, do people really eat meals consisting of Gatorade, Ramen noodles and gummy bears?
    Hibiscus tea? I do like flowers.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ok... I'm not even going to GO here!! :grumble:
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually buy bags of popcorn kernals and pop popcorn in a pan on the stove. But the other day microwave kettle popcorn was on sale and I bought it. I popped a bag in the microwave and it leaked. I found a puddle in the microwave the next morning. It reminded me of candle wax. All I could think was --- that "chemical goo" would have gone into my body!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I usually buy bags of popcorn kernals and pop popcorn in a pan on the stove. But the other day microwave kettle popcorn was on sale and I bought it. I popped a bag in the microwave and it leaked. I found a puddle in the microwave the next morning. It reminded me of candle wax. All I could think was --- that "chemical goo" would have gone into my body!

it was butter and sugar. hardly chemical goo. It solidified because butter does that, at room teperature.
  • exacerbe
    Options
    sodium, sugar, and fat.

3 of my favorite things, add protein in and you've got the #s I try to meet and exceed daily. :smile:
    *editing to say sorry, I'm just not keen on one size fits all.

Now, do people really eat meals consisting of Gatorade, Ramen noodles and gummy bears?
    Hibiscus tea? I do like flowers.

Haha, I lived off cornbread, snicker bars, ramen, and eggs in college.. I was always sick too...

Hibiscus tea is delicious... especially iced.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Ok... I'm not even going to GO here!! :grumble:
    Thank goodness you posted to let us know you aren't.

Processed foods aren't ideal, but they surely are not the devil.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    BUMP.... for when I am at home and it's not blocked.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    This is what happens when you eat processed foods... specifically a whole package of Oreos every three days :bigsmile:

2497623_2551.jpg
  • bratius
    Options
    I just saw his earlier and I am baffled. Definitely going to try more of a whole foods diet.
  • lcpurser
    lcpurser Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I eat a TON of processed foods. I'm okay with it.

me too. fits my budget :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    huffington post? really? lol