Never cooked with Baby Spinach...

Options
13»

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I make this one often. It also freezes great.

I got this recipe from Sparkpeople; made a couple changes to adapt to my taste.

1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup chopped is what I ended up with)
    6-oz fresh baby spinach
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    pinch cayenne pepper
    1 1/3 cups non fat milk
    1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese

Preheat oven to 400F.
    Lightly grease a 10-inch quiche/tart pan (or a pie plate) *(I actually used a glass brownie sized baking dish)
    In a medium frying pan, cook diced onion with a bit of vegetable oil (or cooking spray) over medium-high heat until translucent and tender. Add in fresh spinach and cook until just wilted. Set aside to cool for a few minutes
    In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in milk, then stir in spinach-onion mixture.
    Pour quiche base into prepared pan. Top with feta cheese.
    Bake for 25 minutes, or until center is set and the outside edge is golden brown.
    Let set for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.

Original recipe said this made 6 servings. I actually put the ingredients into my Recipes and made it 4 servings and got these nutritional values:

Per Serving: 168 calories, 19 carbs, 5 gm Fat

Number of servings 4
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I absolutely cannot stomach cooked spinach but I eat raw spinach as a salad pretty much every night for dinner. I use baby spinach if I can or normal spinach cut up and add all the stuff that I would put in a lettuce salad (spring onion, radish, cherry tomatoes, raw mushrooms and carrot) top off with garlic and feta low cal dressing, add some meat and dinner is done.
  • jjw308
    Options
    Bump!

So many recipes I want to try very soon. :)
  • JARREFAN
    JARREFAN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use it in my curries, turns them into a saagwella
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love spinach!! I use it for the lettuce in everything that needs lettuce. I also cut it up and throw it in dishes because you really cant taste it. here are a list of things I put it in...hamburgers, taco salad, omelets, casseroles, stuffed bread...the possibilities are endless for me haha
  • langababy
    langababy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Blanch the baby spinach (cook 3-4 minutes in boiling water, then immediately into ice water). Saute some mushrooms in butter with garlic, a little salt, some cracked black pepper, and red pepper flakes until caramelized. Drain spinach and squeeze off excess water. Saute with the mushrooms for a few minutes until hot. My BF loves this one!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I sauté onions in olive oil, then after they are cooked, I toss the baby spinach in just to wilt it...and if I have the calories, I add in a little cheese...YUMMY
  • camelotss
    Options
    Bump.......will be trying a lot of these.
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I mix spinach into everything! Some of my favorites:

A handful of baby spinach in my smoothie.

Scrambled eggs with spinach and goat cheese.

Spinach in place of lettuce on sandwiches, wraps, tacoes, etc.

Chopped baby spinach mixed into turkey burgers or casseroles

Spinach mixed into brown rice pasta (just throw it in the last couple of minutes your pasta is boiling)

Spinach cooked with quinoa, rice, or other grains (just toss it in the rice cooker or pot in the last few minutes)

Steamed spinach topped with vinegar as a side

Haha, that's all I can think of for now. there are some GREAT suggestions on here, so I hope you find something you like.
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Put it in smoothies. It sounds gross and it looks gross, but you can't tell the spinach is in there and it's so healthy for you! I usually use 1/2c orange juice, 1/2c water, 3c spinach, and then 2 cups of different fruits. Blend it up really well and voila! My daughter drank this right up and thought it was delicious!

THIS!

My go-to smoothie is ice, 1/2 really ripe banana, 1 cup of frozen berries, 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze, 2 cups baby spinach, and enough water to make it the consistency I like. Blend the living hell out of it. :) You can also add protein powder, flax, chia, Amazing Grass...whatever you like.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great ideas everyone. I, too, throw a cup of spinach in every protein shake I make. It amazing that you really can't taste it.

Raw? It's perfect in wraps, sandwiches, and salads. Things that go well with it in these I've found are dried cranberries, drained mandrin oranges, mushrooms, chicken, etc.

Cooked? I love it on homemade pizzas, in light pasta dishes, and it's amazing in any egg dish I can think of. I usually just add it to whatever main dish I'm making instead of having it as a cooked side. But after reading a few comments on this thread I think I'll try a few new techniques.

Thanks everyone!
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My son was sent home sick yesterday, so we are having the spinach today. I am making the Balsamic Chicken with Baby Spinach. I am serving mine over brown basmati rice and I am using fire roasted tomatoes instead of just canned tomatoes.

The breakdown using my choices of subcategories is:

Per serving: 4 oz of boneless skinless chicken breast, 1/2 cup of brown rice, and 1/6th. of the spinach and sauce

316 calories
    6 grams fat
    0 grams sat fat
    31 grams protein
    65 mgrams cholesterol
    37 grams carbs