Greek Yogurt Suggestions??

Options
With so many options it makes my head spin! Plus, they aren't exactly the cheapest on my grocery list.

What brands are the best for you? I am trying to stay away from sugar and starch for the time being....

What flavors are should I try? I seem to always migrate to strawberry but I need to switch it up...

Should this yogurt be a snack or breakfast? With a median of 140 calories, doesnt that hurt you as a snack....

Any input is welcome!!

Replies

• hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My fave is Chobani 2% Pineapple! They are usually $1ea. Fage is also a yummy brand. Voskos fig flavor is another fave.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    I get a big tub of plain Fage and just add my own frozen berries or a little honey. I like having the plain so I can use it in recipes or for making tzatziki sauce.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I like the Oikos tubs - they're def not cheap, running about $1.00 each... so the kids aren't allowed to eat them. :smile: They have to stick with their Minigos.

I usually have one as a snack maybe with a few almonds or a piece of fruit, or if I'm having oatmeal for breakfast I'll have a yogurt alongside for some protein.
  • mess1193
    mess1193 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think of the Dannon Greek?
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% with Honey
    Chobani Pomegranate
    Chobani Lemon
  • ValHallaGirl
    ValHallaGirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm all about Fage! It's the best! I eat it at work everyday. I recommended it to a lady at work and she came back and bought more. Some people call me the yogurt expert at work..haha
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    As mentioned in some other threads, I like making my own. Its cheap, and simple to do.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    sams club and costco have the tubs of Fage 0%, makes it way cheaper! try using fresh or frozen fruit and some honey. Much fresher tasting in my opinion.
  • thatchickbrit
    Options
    i've tried the Fage 0% strawberry when it was on sale at Harris Teeter a couple of weeks ago.

Yesterday I was in the store and came across the Yoplait Greek with fruit on the bottom and granola. I haven't tried that yet.

I did buy some plain Fage to try and make my own. Someone told me that if you add Splenda (i prefer stevia) and a little bit of milk, it taste like ice cream? I haven't tried that yet so don't hold me to it!
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I try to control my sugar intake and calories so I like to use the Fage or Chobani 0% plain at 100 cal/container. I sometimes add fresh berries and maybe a little art. sweetner. Typically, I will eat this as my breakfast as it has adequate protein. If I eat this as a snack I usually only eat half as much.

Hope this helps!

10324051.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I get nonfat plain Greek yogurt (Fage is my favorite) and add a spoonful of jam to sweeten it up. On a whim last week when I had some extra calories, I added a spoonful of my vanilla protein powder as well and it was A-MAZING. It definitely made it taste like dessert!
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think Chobani is worth the cost.

If you're not stuck on Greek yogurt, Brown Cow yogurt is super delicious.
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think of the Dannon Greek?

Honestly, I bought it once and thought it was terrible.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Eat This Not That said Fage Plain Greek Yogurt is the healthiest so that's what I've been getting. I think it's really good with sliced banana and sometimes I add granola or some crumbled breakfast cereal (I like quater oat squares - cinnamon becuase it's a good source of protein).
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    i've tried the Fage 0% strawberry when it was on sale at Harris Teeter a couple of weeks ago.

Yesterday I was in the store and came across the Yoplait Greek with fruit on the bottom and granola. I haven't tried that yet.

I did buy some plain Fage to try and make my own. Someone told me that if you add Splenda (i prefer stevia) and a little bit of milk, it taste like ice cream? I haven't tried that yet so don't hold me to it!

Honestly we never sweeten our yogurt until we're about ready to eat it - then we can use it for cooking, cheese making, and more. We actually use a combination of fage and dannon activia for our original starter, and we just keep grabbing a cup or two from the resulting batch of yogurt and carrying it on. It has a nice tart flavor, and we've gotten it thick to the point where its more like paste than yogurt. The girlfriend loves it like that :)

Another tip if you use skim milk to make it - add some dry milk to help fill it out some. The lack of fat tends to make a thinner yogurt, and the additional dry milk helps keep it creamy.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My faves in decreasing order, by brand:

Chobani:
    Pineapple 2% - 160 cal/serving but SO worth it
    Raspberry
    Mango
    Black Cherry
    Pomegranate
    Blueberry
    Lemon
    Peach
    Strawberry
    Honey

Fage:
    Raspberry
    Mango
    Strawberry
    Honey

The plain Chobani one is pretty good too. Enjoy! :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    im in uk so you wont have the same brands. I get Asda fat free, which is 57 cals / 8 protein / 6 sugar in 100g. I usually add a tiny bit of Monin vanilla coffee syrup, and have with maple pecan granola and strawberries. comes out about 200 cals overall, will have as breakfast or snack depending what im eating the rest of the day :)
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Add some Jello pudding mix in cheesecake flavor, just a little bit, so good!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% fat with crunchy peanut butter stirred in!! Yummy! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Sue :smile: x
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada and I am paying $4.99 for a tub of Liberte GY. Normally I will bake a banana in the oven and then eat that over my greek yogurt.