DISCOURAGED!!!

Options
Maybe I am being ridiculous but I am so discouraged this morning and could really use some inspiration. I started in the beginning of January 2012 at 171 and this morning 6 weeks later am 168.8. I go to Zumba 3 to 4 times a week, given up pop all together and been on track for my calories and still really not seeing movement. Should I be discouraged or is this all in my head?:sad:

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough calories? MFP is notorious for putting women on 1200 calories, but you need to be eating back your exercise calories as well. Make sure you are getting enough protein (close to 100g a day) and drinking lots of water. You are off to a great start!! I've been averaging 1/2 lb a week since I started and while it can be frustrating, at least you are still losing. You may also want to consider doing some circuit training DVDs like Jillian Michaels or strentgh training if you belong to a gym or have stuff at home. Building muscle will help increase your metabolism and you need to use weights to do that.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Getting discouraged is normal. For some people, weight loss is painfully slow. You didn't gain it all over night, you can't expect to lose it overnight either! :wink:

Make sure you are drinking lots of water. Zumba is a high energy exercise, so you need to stay well hydrated for that! Water weight will go down if you drink plenty of water too. Helps keep bloating down to a minimum also.

Finally, add some resistance/weight training. You'd be surprised how much that helps with weight loss!
    223730 Posts: 55
    Options
    Don't give up! I had to start eating more in order to start losing weight. Sounds strange, I know, but the body stops burning the pounds if you operate at too low of a calorie deficit. And remember that the scale is not your friend! It lies!! I have only lost 5 ridiculous pounds since I started actively working out. My clothes tell the whole story, while the scale only tells one side. I am wearing pants that I haven't been able to zip in 3 years. I can wear a 34 bra instead of a 36. Those are the little things that help me stick my tongue out at the scale instead of letting it bring me down!
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Also, this board is for Success Stories. Your post would be better received in the "Motivation & Support" board.
  • April1974coburn
    Options
    I was hoping to hear from successful people to help me be successful....sorry
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    Try not to be discouraged. I'm not one of those people that lose weight quickly. I agree that maybe some strength training might help and try to change up your routine. Sometimes that makes your body work harder which my help increase your weight loss.
    If you stick with it, so will I. Be strong!
  • rykacalla
    Options
    I had the same issue, and I'm also a Zumba freak. Sounds kinda crazy, but make sure you're eating ENOUGH calories, and flushing your system with water. When I increased my caloric intake, the weight began to come off again! Good luck :)
  • Shevaun619
    Shevaun619 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely do NOT be discouraged! First off, congrats to you for making a decision to become a healthier you and then putting your thoughts into action. I absolutely LOVE Zumba and it's a great form of cardio so keep doing what ya love. However maybe you should incorporate strength training as well because lifting weights actually burns more calories than cardio alone does. I do Zumba twice a week and strength training 3-4 times a week. I have lost about 25 pounds and I definitely feel and look more tone than I did before. Maintain your calorie goal by eating clean. And don't forget to drink your water! I hope this helps a little. Don't give up...you got this :flowerforyou:
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    2 words.... measure and pics
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    3975e394-2725-42e0-9f32-c27bf42ea7dc.jpg
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Stick with the plan, don't under-eat. Remember we have water and poop weight that can make us vary quite a bit, so just stay the plan and again...don't under eat! Make sure to eat AT your calorie goal, not under it.
  • Twyla123
    Twyla123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know for me if I don't drink my 8 plus glasses of water a day I do not see the scale moving. Also have you taken your measurement as well? This is a better way to track your changes then to use the scale alone. It will happen - you have shocked your body and it isn't sure what to do.
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. It took me 5-6 weeks to lose my first lb. I actually gained a couple of lbs before I lost anything. I hit my goal two weeks ago, and I'm so glad I didn't give up. It made me so mad to gain those 2 lbs when I was working so hard, too hard probably. It made more determined to not give up.
    Keep it up..your hard work will payoff in the end.

Tracy
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to hear from successful people to help me be successful....sorry

Don't be sorry...........he's just being mean! He could have at least offered you something positive or just left the post when he saw the message wasn't what he wanted to see.........People are getting really rediculous on here............who cares where you post something..........we are all here to help one another..........Good luck sweetie and for what its worth......I agree with the other posters....I think you may have to up your calories:bigsmile:
  • savdbygrac
    Options
    Really? Kick someone when they're down?

Never be afraid to ask for help! Motivation, ideas, or solutions! Even if you post it "in the wrong place", post anyway! If you have a problem where a thread is posted, take it u with MFP, not the one who posted it! Friend me April!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    A half-pound a week is no small feat -- it's better than gaining! Open up your diary, make sure you're eating enough and doing strength training, and dont' give up!

I haven't lost a pound since Thanksgiving. I'm still here bustin' *kitten*.
  • vbontheriver
    vbontheriver Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OMG my story is the exact same, what's up with that, when you get on the scale and mine goes up i feel like crying. it is so disappointing. then others come along but back for one week no exercise and lose 4 pounds????? if you get a good answer let me know. in the mean time i started tracking on this website. we shall see if it helps!
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't panic.

If you're keeping good track of intake and exercise, and you're operating at a deficit as outlined by MFP, the weight will fall off.

It just takes time.

Ignore the scale for a few weeks. Don't be tempted by its shiny spinning dial. Get out a tape measure to keep track of your measurements instead. Look at your clothes to see how they're fitting.

Take a minute to celebrate the fact that you can exercise longer and with greater intensity. You're doing great things for your heart, metabolism, strength and endurance. Exercise has dramatically lowered your risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and more.

Good luck!
    John
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    Hi Feel free to add me, I started January 1 2012 at 238ish and I now weigh 236.3....I'm just a really slow loser...
  • twistedge
    Options
    I find it helps to start doing searches on calories and weight loss, etc.. whatever area that's got you down. It's subtle, but it can help to get your head back in the game.

Based on some of the comments here, it might be worth doing some reading on "starvation mode". There is a common belief that getting too few calories can undermine your weight loss. There is certainly some truth to this, but serious daily reductions in calories threaten your health more than your metabolism.

If your body normally burns 1700 calories per day and you take it to extreme starvation mode (not something that happens overnight), you 'might' slow it down to 1500 calories. (10% reductions were the extreme cases).. If you only consume 1200 calories your body still needs to burn something to get those other 300. It may sound complicated, but this is how it works.