DISCOURAGED!!!

Options

Replies

• May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    i have been at it since November and maybe 3 lbs lost. my family says i am looking good losing inches. have you taken measurements.
    keeo pushing and yes add weights
  • meaneyz
    meaneyz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You do not need to be sorry! You are reaching out and that's what matters. And it looks like your post has been well received here. Good luck to you!
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i cant see your food diary to see what and when you are eating.. however sometimes it just doesnt come off quick as we want.im in the same boat as you . last year i went months without the scale moving .. found out that i lost a size in clothes though going from a 16 to a 14 and i lost 8% body fat according to my physician when they took blood tests..
  • mimonde18
    mimonde18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I saw a Dr. Oz show and he had some expert on who says he's a firm believer of weight training. Maybe start adding some weight training to your exercise routine. Good Luck!

I too started to lose weight but I fell off the wagon and I'm struggling to get back on.
  • tford260
    Options
    Dont be discouraged! I've lost close to 15 pounds since I started in Early December but there were long stretches where I didint lose any weight at all. Eat frequent small meals to manage your blood sugar and drink lots of water. I try and exercise 3-5 times a week for one hour at a time, mostly cardio.
  • KristyGirl8
    KristyGirl8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes A LONG TIME! Don't be discouraged... you just have to be PATIENT. As long as you're measuring your portions and logging everything you eat, you WILL lose weight. Our bodies want to hang on to every pound... it's a survival instinct. Your body is just going to take some time to know that you aren't starving, and then it will let the pounds go. Often, I won't lose for 3 weeks, and then a lb will come off.. For some inspiration, look at some of the success stores here. One of my fav girls went from 200 to 125, but it too TWO YEARS. We all want quick fixes, but it just doesn't work that way. Also, push yourself to do something active every single day... even if it's just an extra 30 min walk after dinner.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Don't be discouraged.
    As mentioned by many previous posters switch up what you're currently doing.

I'm 34yrs old. 5'5 and started at 238lbs

When I first started out I was eating 1650 calories a day and exercising (with a HRM) 200-400 calories 5 days a week. I didn't start eating my exercise calories back until I gradually began to lower my intake calories.. which I brought down to 1350.

Eat more (if you're close to 1200 calories daily). Increase your cardio. Seriously consider investing in an HRM and my golden rule A CALORIE IS A CALORIE! Doesn't matter how small or how insignificant it may seem, if it enters your mouth log it. You can do this :heart:
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    So I guess the next question is: how many calories (if not the 1200 that MFP recommends) does she have to eat? 1500?
  • gsmith32953
    Options
    000Debbie000 - Great comeback in support of our MFP friend. I agree , who cares where you post something, we are all here to support each other. I've always been the type thats it's hard to lose weight. But for sure, weight training mixed with cardio is the best mix for weight loss. Believing you have to eat to lose, is hard to believe, but oh so true. It took me a long time to believe it. Great job everybody on your dedication and hard work!!!!!!
  • KristyGirl8
    KristyGirl8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Also, try making your food journal public... you'll be more accountable if you know people are looking! :)
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been working out since Sept but I've only lost 10 lbs. However, I've gone from a size 14 to a 10, and am about to fit in to a size 8 comfortably. I've lost a lot of inches. I mean A LOT!! I don't pay attention to the scale, I pay attention to how my clothes fit.
  • nhughes1864
    nhughes1864 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You will get there, remember, slow and steady. I have had slow progress, no progress, and *gasp* negative progress :sad: :blushing: but just keep on keeping on and you will get there! :smile:
  • JMun
    Options
    I saw a Dr. Oz show and he had some expert on who says he's a firm believer of weight training. Maybe start adding some weight training to your exercise routine. Good Luck!

I too started to lose weight but I fell off the wagon and I'm struggling to get back on.

Cardio kills the fat
    Weight training keeps it off.

For every pound of muscle you add to your body you are creating the ability to consume and process more calories OUT. Muscle needs (and burns) more calories to maintain its mass. This is why weight training is essential to long term success.

Sure you can cardio all your fat away, but aside from looking like a flabby but skinny pile of goo, you run the risk of gaining it all back if you don't keep your cardio up.

Scooby is a little intense but he really knows his stuff. http://scoobysworkshop.com/
    His website is FULLLLLLLL of information that both me and my hubby have used to lose weight and keep it off.
  • kemb28
    Options
    Weight training is important as building muscle will help tone you and muscle tissue burns more calories. Notice in the gym all the fit people working out on the weights and weight machines, not just all cardio. If you can afford it, try a personal trainer or just at least for one visit and ask them to put you on a routine you can do on your own. Make sure your calorie intake is low on the carbs/sugar and higher on the protien. Also, measure yourself as you could be losing inches but not necessarily see it on the scale. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Also, this board is for Success Stories. Your post would be better received in the "Motivation & Support" board.

REALLY? Rules are this strict? OMG!!!!!!!
  • JMun
    Options
    So I guess the next question is: how many calories (if not the 1200 that MFP recommends) does she have to eat? 1500?

there is no standard answer here. It's different for everyone. When I started MFP I started with the reccommended calorie intake to lose 1lb a week. I often lost way more but used the MFP guide to get me going. Once I had been losing for a few months I started to gradually decrease my calorie intake to increase my results.
    After being in the game for a few months I began to learn more about nutrition and exercise so I felt like I had more knowlege and tools to increase my results with intelligent tweaking of my exercise/nutrition plan

nutrition is 90% of it (in my opinion)
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to hear from successful people to help me be successful....sorry

DO NOT BE SORRY! HE DOESNT MAKE THE RULES, WE ALL DO! POST WHAT YOU FEEL, WHERE YOU WISH! AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! :)
  • CazzyMc
    CazzyMc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not being rude but how old are you? As I've gotten older it is becoming a lot harder... I was running 15 - 20 km a week and gym training 3 times a week in 2011 and ended the year 3lbs heavier than I started it!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here that if you are skimming at 1200, you may need to eat more. ESPECIALLY if you are exercising.

However, if you're not sure exactly how much you're eating, be certain to measure your food/enter the correct calculations for nutrition in your food tracking.

In the beginning I found that if I eyeballed, I wasn't very accurate. It's improving now, but the extra calories can add up and if you're sticking to a reduced plan, you want to make sure that is what you're really doing.

Good luck and hang in there! You can do it! And I'm glad you posted here.
  • April1974coburn
    Options
    i cant see your food diary to see what and when you are eating.. however sometimes it just doesnt come off quick as we want.im in the same boat as you . last year i went months without the scale moving .. found out that i lost a size in clothes though going from a 16 to a 14 and i lost 8% body fat according to my physician when they took blood tests..

I love hearing that....thanks so much!!! My sister said I am obsessed with the number on the scale and I guess she is right!!!