Would I be Rude?

Options
My sister text me today to ask if I wanted to come to dinner with her family tonight. She said they were having "soul food" but I should be able to find something I could eat. Said she planned to eat about 5-5:30.

I called to discuss this with her and she expanded on the soul food definition - it includes fried chicken, greens, homemade macaroni and cheese, homemade baked beans (which has hamburger meat and barbecue sauce added), and a homemade peach cobbler. WTH??? What do you see in that menu that I would ever be able to eat?

The other problem is that I usually go to the body toning class at 5 on Thursday. There is a 6 oclock class that I could make if I eat and run.

So, do I just absolutely decline the invite or do I take my own supper that I was planning to eat anyway and eat and enjoy the company and just leave in time to go to the gym?

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I had fried chix, mashed taters and mac and cheese for lunch yesterday. I burned it. AGAIN - NOTHING IS OFF LIMITS! geesh.
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My sister text me today to ask if I wanted to come to dinner with her family tonight. She said they were having "soul food" but I should be able to find something I could eat. Said she planned to eat about 5-5:30.

I called to discuss this with her and she expanded on the soul food definition - it includes fried chicken, greens, homemade macaroni and cheese, homemade baked beans (which has hamburger meat and barbecue sauce added), and a homemade peach cobbler. WTH??? What do you see in that menu that I would ever be able to eat?

The other problem is that I usually go to the body toning class at 5 on Thursday. There is a 6 oclock class that I could make if I eat and run.

So, do I just absolutely decline the invite or do I take my own supper that I was planning to eat anyway and eat and enjoy the company and just leave in time to go to the gym?

I'm of the opinion that sometimes life take precedence over the gym and dietary goals. Go, enjoy the food and company. Get to the gym tomorrow. Being healthy is great. But what is the point of being healthy if you have to forego all of life's pleasures for the rest of your life?

Moderation is key.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how often these dinners occur and how often you accept the invites. If you see your sister and her family often, declining every now and again shouldn't seem rude. But if it's more of an "occasion" and you feel you might be missing out on precious family time (or think your sis will feel this way), then making an effort to show up and hang out would be a great idea. Making your diet fit your life will probably yield longer lasting success than trying to make your life fit your diet.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would go and eat some of the food everything in moderation and all that! You can't miss out on life just because your on a diet and if I was your sister I would be very offended if someone brought their own food as I would feel like they where saying my cooking was naff. Have fun you only live once.
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    Eat the greens, and the chicken with the skin peeled off. Even if the greens were cooked with fat, not enough is going to stay on them to cause a major calorie hit. And greens are extremely nutritious.

And it's perfectly fine to take small samples of the rest. Just don't go overboard.
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Certainly you CAN find something to eat there...you can eat any of it. Portions and moderation are key! I eat whatever is being served, i just eat tiny amounts of it.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I had fried chix, mashed taters and mac and cheese for lunch yesterday. I burned it. AGAIN - NOTHING IS OFF LIMITS! geesh.

The idea of "everything in moderation" doesn't work for everyone (some people are addicted to food and avoiding triggers is easier than trying to have them in moderation). That being said, you can try to eat a small portion of what is being served, or bring a healthy dish to add to the dinner and fill up on that, or even bring your own dinner as you suggested. Whatever allows you to have an enjoyable experience with your family without unnecessary pressure now or guilt later.

Best wishes :)
  • momonwilson
    Options
    It depends there is a thin line between being routine and obssesive. Here is a few questions: Can you make up the workout a differnt day? Is it possible to go and have the dinner that is being served in moderation ?( the menu sounds delicious by the way) It is okay to modify our routine sometimes. Good Luck..
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Eat the greens, and the chicken with the skin peeled off. Even if the greens were cooked with fat, not enough is going to stay on them to cause a major calorie hit. And greens are extremely nutritious.

And it's perfectly fine to take small samples of the rest. Just don't go overboard.

is that true for stirfrying veggies in oil?
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Have very small portions of some of her food, but go ahead and eat. Family is important and its when we have to cut out all of these kind of activities that we find we can't sustain our weight loss. It's important to learn how to incorporate these events (road bumps even) into our lives without feeling like we have derailed our "lifestyle change."

Can you find some other exercise to take the place of the class? I doubt that you can spend much time at all with your sister and her family if you leave in time for the class at 6.

Oh yeah, I did forget to ask, how often you actually spend time with your sister and her family because that does influence the decision.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Get in an awesome workout and eat a little bit of everything. It's not gonna kill you, I promise!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My opinion is simple-- Life happens-- you can't shut it out. Go, do the best you can, and forget it. If you are really worried, work it off. This is a lifestyle change-- and you can't go the rest of your life not visiting your relatives (well, you could, and I have some that qualify) or going to reastaurants!
    Agree. No reason to alienate family.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, taking your own food would be considered rude.
  • nxcguy
    nxcguy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you realy want to go or not.

Most of the time people dont care what or how much they eat. However this is family. Sometimes family can get insulted if you dont pig out, but if thats not the case just go. Feel free to youse my favorite line when im dieting and that would be. ( person asking you.. Woud you like some fried chicken you say YES I WOULD!!!. but unfortunatly im on a diet. ) this usually get a laught and no one feels insulted. then after awhile all you have to say is YES I WOULD!!! then smile and they will understand.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Bring a food scale and measure what you eat so you can portion properly and you'll be fine.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Go. Wear your workout clothes.

Two words of advice .... portion control.

Take one piece of chicken and take the skin off. Choose between mac and cheese and baked beans. Take the greens. Politely decline the dessert.

It's a win-win situation. When you're working out you can reflect on the memory with your sister, free food, and the satisfaction of knowing, "Um, yeah ... I got this!"
  • leomakarov
    leomakarov Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    EAT NOW, PAY FOR IT LATER... :drinker: :sad:
  • lovingallofme
    Options
    Reading all the posts....Don't wanna sound like a tape recorder...but I mostly agree w/all....
    GO!!!,have dinner, eat small portion, you know make it your cheat day but most of all
    enjoy your family and just have good time!!!!....
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I agree with some of what's said here and disagree with others. Like some have said, it all depends. Is this is a dinner you WANT to go to? Do you really LOVE soul food? Do you not see your sister often? Would you really RATHER eat something else and take your exercise class?

Part of what got a lot of us to being overweight is trying to be a people-pleaser and not saying "no" enough. If you see your sister often, you don't really care for the food, and it's not really a special occasion, I see no reason why saying "no" would be wrong or awful.

I have a friend who invites me out to eat all the time, but she eats AWFUL quality food. Yes, I *could* eat this stuff but it's never really anything I want to spend "fun" calories on. So I almost always say no. We are still friends and hang out often, it's just not over food!

Do your thing, take care of yourself! Anyone who loves you will respect that :)
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think it would be worse to take your own dinner than to just skip it all together. Bringing your own food says "what you are eating is not good enough for me" You also do not zip out after an hour to make it to your class. your family is going to feel that your routine is more important to you than they are :o(