gym is not an option..

Options
so i have 3 young children and no sitter so the hym honestly is not an option... does anyone know a good workout routine i can do at home with limited resources?

Replies

• Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    How young exactly? My gym has a daycare? But if that's not an option and you want it to be maybe something you can incorporate them into, how about a Wii with one of it's many fitness games? I even think they have Zumba! I hear a lot of people love it and it gives them a great work-out!

I also found this link and loved the exercises it suggests.
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/fitness/fitness-plan-two-weeks-oct06#slide-1

I haven't tried it but as soon as I'm better, I'm going to jump on it!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Did you check whether any gyms near you offer babysitting as part of the membership. We joined the YMCA when our kids were little partly because they had free babysitting (up to 1 hour at a time, I think) with the kids in different play rooms based upon age. It was a great way for my wife, who was a stay at home mom at that time, to get out of the house and get some time for herself and away from the kids.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Check out this website..

www.bodyrock.tv.com. Right now they are starting thier new 30 day bodyrocker challange. The exercises are intense but really fun!
  • tashakk86
    Options
    well ive actually thought about that but right now im unemployed and with my hubby being the only one working funds are kinda tight.. gym memberships anr crazy here.. and they are age 4, 5 and 6
  • tashakk86
    Options
    ty tiff
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    It depends what kind of shape you are in...if you are just starting, walk away the pounds is a great beginner workout. Yoga is good for flexibility and strength. Just getting out for a walk with the kids, or going to the playground and playing on the toys with them can be a great workout. I do circuits in my living room with my kids: jumping jacks/pushups/step ups/lunges/squat jumps/jogging in place/etc. Just do the circuit really hard until you can't, recover, repeat. It will give you a really good workout. You can look up some great workouts on Youtube...I learned some kickboxing moves from a class I took and now sometimes in the evening I just do a bunch of those with the kids and really break a sweat. Do you have bikes? You could take a bike ride or a hike. The kids and I also do Wii Games, like Just Dance and Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, etc. They are so fun and can really get your heart pumping!

As you progress you could buy a weight set and do some weights at home...check out some good websites like the oxygen magazine website, Muscle and Fitness Hers, etc. for some great and challenging workout ideas.

If you look through my posts, when I first started posting on the boards I posted about how I lost almost 50 pounds with 3 kids under 3...5 kids total. I put a lot of ideas for working out with kids in tow in that post. Posting it got me torn to shreds by some of the other moms on the board, but it's what worked for me.

ETA: If you want to check it out, the link is here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/441231-weight-loss-with-children
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Buy the P90X dvd package. It has everything you need.
    Also watch for the Pound Rockout Workout DVD coming out this summer. Its something your kids can have fun doing with you. Well you'll be working out they will be rocking out. Check out their website. www.poundrockoutworkout.com
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You can check your library or local movie rental store for free exercise dvds (we have a Family Video Store that has free exercise dvd rentals). The only problem I have found is the dvds from the library are some times older and scratched. But might be worth trying?
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    I know YMCAs offer scholarship/membership fee assistance to community members that could otherwise not afford it.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership, but rarely go lately. I do zumba and dance central on kinect, Jillian Michael's 30 Day shred and other workouts by her, Turbo Fire, Billy Banks Tae Bo, and sometimes I just jog in place or lift some weights. Just get moving and do something to start out. You cxan get most of these videos at Wal-Mart for about $10, except for Turbo Fire
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Pick up a Jillian Michaels DVD..they're under $10. There's tons of threads about them here. 30 Day shred seems to be the most popular. It really helped me get started with working out at home.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can't do the gym right now either. I'm home all day with my 4 year old, and we just moved... simply no fundage for the gym (literally, the ONE - and its expensive).
    So, after dinner when my husband is home, I go for a walk or jog with the dog. That's totally free!
    I also do Just Dance on the Wii, and Netflix has some decent workouts available.
    And my 4 year old will participate in Just Dance ;).
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have three young children at home too and rarely make it over to the gym (although my husband is off Mondays so we are going to start going together Monday mornings and putting two of our three in the child care there while we work out). I have been using at home DVD's to exercise. I started with the Leslie Sansone walks and now I'm doing the Jillian Michaels programs. I finished her Ripped in 30 DVD last week and this week started 30 Day Shred. We even a have a group called 30 Day Shred - 2/7 start if you are interested. I do the 30DS 5 days a week (Tues-Saturday since that is my hubby's work schedule) and on Tues, Thurs, Sat I'm also doing her No More Trouble Zones workout for added benefit in the afternoons. She works wonders!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Look around the room, you'd be surprised! Have any left over milk or water jugs? Fill with water and lift (or fill however much you find suitable) You can run in motion, do squats, lunges, sit ups all in your own house. In the fitness aisle at Walmart I was surprised how many items they had that were pretty reasonably priced. Resistance bands, a yoga ball, jump rope, weights, etc. You could go there and spend maybe $20 and walk out with a few good items.

Good luck!

PS try Craigslist, you might be able to find some work out items or equip for a steal.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You can check your library or local movie rental store for free exercise dvds (we have a Family Video Store that has free exercise dvd rentals).

Agreed. Especially if you have little or no equipment.
  • BrittC75
    Options
    I do Turbo Fire and love it! :) I hate going to the gym, so this one works for me.
  • BoopsyBoop
    BoopsyBoop Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I recommend Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, you can purchase it on amazon digital for like $2, just for level one. It's definitely worth it in my opinion...and it's cheap. I've heard great things about her whole new line of workout DVD's and they're all pretty cheap. Good luck!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Also when I exercise there is always at least one child up. The mornings I do 30DS it's all three usually. Sometimes my 3 adn 5 year olds will join in for a bit. It's fun!
  • sspetter
    sspetter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The Library is Perfect for you!!!
    The Library is full of work out DVD's...FREE and you can get a variety so you don't get bored! Also, you can have the kiddos get some books that give them fun new reads while you work out!
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    well ive actually thought about that but right now im unemployed and with my hubby being the only one working funds are kinda tight.. gym memberships anr crazy here.. and they are age 4, 5 and 6

there are the 10 minute solution dvds. Love them. Perfect for starting at home. I also have jillian michaels yoga and a pilates dvd. You don't need anything but yourself!