Working mom needs kid friendly crock pot recipe's!!

Options

Replies

• Marianna05
    Marianna05 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just found this website. Everything looks so good!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=low+calorie+crock+pot
  • silverstardust
    silverstardust Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • kimdt74
    kimdt74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Last night I fixed this and me and hubby ate it over rice and I shredded some of the chicken and put in taco shells for my kids.

1 1/2 lbs Tyson chicken tenders
    2 cups salsa
    1 cup frozen corn
    10 sliced olives
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp cilantro leaves

Cooked on low for about 8 hrs. Topped with 2% cheese and light sour cream.
  • sd8660
    Options
    Bump
  • jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe off of pinterest. It was good and 2 out of 3 of my kids ate it.

Chicken and Noodle Soup

5 cups of chicken broth (boxed or can is fine)
    One 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
    1/2 cup onions, chopped fine
    1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
    1/2 cup carrots, chopped fine
    1/2 cup green onions, sliced
    One 15 oz can of whole kernel corn, drained
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    1 1/2 cup Egg noodles
    2 cups cooked chicken chopped or 2 cans canned cooked chicken

Add everything but the noodles and cooked chicken to the crock pot on Low for 5-6 hours, the last hour turn on High, and add noodles and chicken.

This recipe I got off this website:

~Pineapple Chicken~

--enough chicken for 4
    --20 oz can of pineapple chunks
    --1/4 cup soy sauce
    --1 t red pepper flakes

The Directions.

Put the chicken into the crockpot. I used frozen breast tenders. Drain the pineapple, and add the chunks with the soy sauce and the red pepper flakes. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 3-4. The cooking time will depend on how thick your pieces of chicken are, and if they are frozen or not.

I personally use crushed pineapple because my husband does not like pineapple. Gives it the flavor but not the chunks. you could eat this alone but we eat it on top of brown rice. I also have used leftovers in wheat tortillas for chicken tacos.
  • jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here is another one that is kid friendly.

Crockpot Italian Chicken: 4 chicken breasts, 1 packet Zesty Italian dressing seasoning, 1 8 oz. cream cheese (softened), 2 cans cream of chicken soup; Cook on low for 4 hours. If sauce is too thick, add a little milk. Serve over pasta or rice. ( I warmed the cream cheese and cream of chicken soup over stove top and then poured it over the frozen chicken breast in crockpot.)

For my kids the pasta works best. Great with a salad and garlic bread.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    mac n cheese
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rataliek
    rataliek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Pulled pork: pork tenderloin add a can of rootbeer. Cook on low until meat is tender...drain liquid pull the pork..add bbq sauce of. choice place on low Cal whole wheat bun...(I usually take my portion out before adding the bbq sauce and just add a little to the bun) my kids love it!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My quickest and easiest is a whole chicken + one cut up onion + 1/2 cup water & salt and pepper how you prefer cooked on low 8 or 9 hrs. Can prep in 5 minutes in morning when your on the way out the door. It melts in your mouth and so many things you can do with left overs. This week plan on using broth from the pot to make chicken and rice later in the week.

Just dont forget to turn the crock pot on or not plug it in!!!

LOL Done that a few times too... So dissapointing to come home expecting the wonderful smell when you open the door after thinking about how yummy it will be all day....to find a cold, ruined pot full of food. LOL
  • mylilliam
    mylilliam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emmasmum07
    emmasmum07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    not a crock pot recipe, but definitely something you can make ahead and freeze for a quick zap if you like. This one is a hit with my family
    yummy recipe someone posted, make it all the time now, was a HUGE HIT!! I did alter it slightly - used about 1/2 of a 16oz tub of lite cottage cheese, and probably a lot more Mozzarella than was needed, but was SO GOOD!!! I just used 1 pound of ground turkey, and dumped in a bunch of Italian Seasoning (from Costco).

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

1 Spaghetti Squash
    1 Jar Marinara
    1 On the Go 2% Cottage Cheese (4oz) -** I used about half of a 16oz container of cottage cheese**
    Part skim Mozzarella (or 2% equivalent) - ** I used 2 pkgs (2 cup pkgs) - so about 4 cups total***
    Parmesan Cheese
    1 pkg Jenni-o Italian Seasoned Ground Turkey or Italian Turkey Sausage ** I used 1 lb ground turkey with Italian Seasoning**

Cut the Squash length wise and scoop out seeds and strings (I use a ice cream scoop makes it much easier)
    Spray cookie sheet with Pam place cut side down and bake at 350 for about 40-45 mins
    Take out of the oven, flip them over to cool
    While cooling....
    Brown Ground Turkey Drain off fat
    Add Marinara
    Add Cottage Cheese
    Then scrape a fork across the Squash to make "spaghetti like strands" carefully they may still be hot.....
    Place in a large bowl
    Add the Sauce mixture and mix together
    in a 13x9 pan add half the mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella (how much depends on how cheesy or how calorie laden you want the dish... I use about a 1/2 cup on each layer) ** I used 1 pkg per layer -about 2 cups**
    Sprinkle with Parmesan
    Add the other half of Squash mixture, Mozzarella and Parmesan
    Bake at 350 until Bubbly and cheese has melted.....

p.s there will be "water" in the bottom of the pan as I think it's from the squash’s natural moisture....just let it drain a bit befoe placing on your plate or in your bowl....
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Cream Cheese Chicken Chili - this was easy and I loved it, it was even better the next day
    http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/01/slow-cooker-cream-cheese-chicken-chili.html

Changes to original: I used only 1/2 of the cream cheese (added at the end), I only used 2tsp of the the ranch mix, I cut down on the cumin and chili powder slightly (since I knew cutting down on the cream cheese would make the spices more potent, go for it all if you like it spicy)

What I would change next time: I love everything about this recipe except the sodium. I'm definitely going to look for low sodium beans and rotel (or cook my own beans). I will probably use frozen corn and a little extra water, since I always have frozen vegetables on hand. I also used frozen chicken breast, which has a much higher sodium content, so fresh would be a better option.

6 servings (1cup)
    calories 215
    fat 6
    carbs 26
    sodium 960
    sat fat 3
    fiber 5
  • knapowell
    Options
    Crock Pot Honey Chicken - another easy recipe that even pleased my picky eaters, I served with/over mixed vegetables (broccoli, sugar snap peas, carrots, etc), and rice
    http://ctworkingmoms.com/2012/02/02/tasty-thursday-crock-pot-honey-chicken/

Changes to original: I used about 1/2 of the sauce while cooking the chicken, when it was done, I poured off the liquid in the crock pot and added the rest of the sauce. That way I didn't have all of the fat, and watered down sauce, and I still had enough sauce for serving.

What I would change next time: not necessarily a change, but I use chicken thighs (personal preference). Next time I am going to try split chicken breast ( think bone in would work much better for this recipe than boneless skinless).
  • knapowell
    Options
    Made this Sunday:
    http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2011/02/gooseberry-patch-slow-cooker-beer.html

Notes: This was very good and moist, used a common light beer, because it's what I had on hand. Also used no olive oil, and a Montreal Chicken spice, and garlic powder. Not extremely different from regular a crock pot chicken, but I think it would definitely be worth trying with a more flavorful beer. BTW, does not taste like beer, just a crock-pot version of beer can chicken, I'm sure you could use a cola or lemon lime drink also.
  • knapowell
    Options
    This is not a crock pot meal, but came together in less than 15 minutes, including prep and clean-up. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=555389

Notes: seasoned w/garlic & onion powders, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper; added 1/8 tsp sesame oil to vinegar and honey & reduced; used bag of Birdseye Steamfresh vegetables (carrots, sugar snap peas, broccoli, water chestnuts) I added green beans; served over rice
  • bcara
    bcara Posts: 4
    Options
    bump