Working mom needs kid friendly crock pot recipe's!!

Options
I have been home with my daughter for the last 2 1/2 years and found that financialy it was time to head back to work. I was so used to thinking about what to make for dinner at about 10 in the morning that I am having a hard time adjusting to planning ahead!! I wan't to make sure my daughter, husband and I are eating right too!! ( it's just too easy to eat out when I am not prepared for the upcoming dinner)

Does anyone have some EASY (I don't want to go out and buy like 15 spices) and BASIC crock pot and casserole meals (ohh and healthy too)? I think my best bet will be to prepare for the week evey Sunday and stick some ready to cook meals in the freezer...

Any recipes or advice would be much appriciated!

Replies

• kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Salsa Chicken

1 can of black beans (drained)
    1 can of corn (undrained)
    1 jar of salsa (I use Pace Mild)
    4-6 skinless boneless chicken breasts

Throw all the ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours. Once cooked shred chicken and serve over rice or on tortillas shells or tortilla chips for burritos or nachos. I also offer some shredded cheddar cheese (fat free for me) and lettuce. Very easy and my two preschoolers love it.

Crock Pot Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground beef (I use ground turkey)
    3/4 c milk (I use skim)
    3/4 breadcrumbs (I use Italian flavored breadcrumbs)
    2 eggs
    1 Package Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix (not prepared)

Combine all ingredients, shape into a loaf and cook in crock pot on low for 4-6 hours. I line my crock pot with aluminim foil and place the loaf on top. Makes for easy cleanup.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • MelsFitLife
    MelsFitLife Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BUMP...sounds delicious !
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I put half a sirloin tip roast in a crockpot. I use grass fed and organic only.
    Then I add seasonal root vegetables of my choice (carrots and sunchokes are really good!), by placing them on the sides of the crockpot, around the roast.
    Cook on low during the afternoon, and it's ready for dinner. Meat should come apart easily with a fork and vegetables should be pierced easily with a fork.

Can't get any easier than that :)
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Piglet_26
    Options
    We eat this all the time at home and it is amazing :)

Shredded BBQ chicken

2 lbs - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts 
    2 Cups Value Ketchup 
    1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar 
    2 tbsp Molasses 
    1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar 
    1 Tbsp Garlic Powder/paste

Throw everything in the crockpot, turn on low and cook for 4-6hrs. Shred chicken and serve.

I have mine with mashed potato but I guess this would be great with rice or taco shells too.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    BBQ Chicken

2-3 lbs Frozen Chicken Breasts (can use fresh as well just cut down the time)
    6-8 red potatoes (or 1 med/lrg sweet potato) - I do both
    1 bottle BBQ Sauce of choice
    1 lrg bag baby carrots

Spray crockpot w/ non-stick spray (or use crockpot liners). Add about 1/4c water to bottom of crockpot. Cut potatoes into 4's (or decent sized chunks). Pour 1/4 of the bbq sauce over them. Layer the carrots next, more bbq sauce. Layer chicken on top w/ the rest of the bottle of bbq sauce. 8-10 hrs on low

Love it :) I find it works better with the frozen chicken, I tried it with fresh and it dried out a little. Really good :)

You can do the same thing with chicken broth to make chicken w/ veggies/potatoes. Just use one can low sodium broth/1 can water.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Boneless chic breasts mix a can of fat free cream chic soup with 2 tblsp h20. pour over chicken, pepper and put on low 10 hours. serve over noodles or brown rice. My kids have loved this forever and request it frequently.

enjoy
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili

2lbs Ground Turkey
    2 cans beans (your choice - red kidney and low sodium black for us) DRAINED
    1 can chili beans (the flavored ones) NOT DRAINED
    1/2 sm sweet onion
    1 can diced tomatoes
    Low Fat Cheddar

Cut onion into small pieces and throw into fry pan, once they are translucent add ground turkey and cook til just turns brown. Spray crockpot (use liner) with non-stick spray. Drain and pour in whole beans, pour WHOLE can of chili beans in (flavor). Throw in ground turkey/onion mix. 1 can of diced tomatoes. You can add a little chili seasoning if you want, but the chili beans usually have enough. Cook on high 8-10 hrs ... Perfection.

1c is usually a serving, put a little cheese on top.

I make cornbread for the family too.
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    Another thing to look at is The Sneaky Chef cookbook. Helps to "hide" healthy food in the things kids love :)

http://thesneakychef.com/free_sneaky_chef_recipes.php
  • Ladeda1
    Ladeda1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I put half a sirloin tip roast in a crockpot. I use grass fed and organic only.
    Then I add seasonal root vegetables of my choice (carrots and sunchokes are really good!), by placing them on the sides of the crockpot, around the roast.
    Cook on low during the afternoon, and it's ready for dinner. Meat should come apart easily with a fork and vegetables should be pierced easily with a fork.

Can't get any easier than that :)

All these recipes sound yummy! I'm gonna print them all....but what are sunchokes?
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I live by Kraft's website. You can search my make ahead, crockpot or slow cooker. Love it.

www.kraftrecipes.com
  • yodapooper
    Options
    Bump!!
  • Jessika_witha_k
    Options
    Chicken tacos- 2 cups chicken broth, 1 pound chicken breast and 1 package taco seasoning. Mix seasoning and broth in the crockpot and add chicken. I cook it on low while I'm at work (8-9 hours) and then I shred the chicken.

Then, of course add to tacos with all the fixins. :-) Also great for taco salads.