Is anyone finding it hard to eat all the daily calories?

Options

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It is best to eat clean, but eat to goal daily no matter what.
    A McD cheeseburger should do the trick even though is not clean eating.
    Seriously, eating a few "bad" foods and reaching goals beats clean foods that fall short of your daily calorie goal. Your progress is stifled by not eating to goal.
    That's just more self-sabotage.
    Eat to goal no matter what; your body does not know or care the reasons why.
    It's just registering the too large deficit, and while you may lose weight for a season, what will be the quality of the weight loss, and does it lead to optimal health?

Just eat to goal; none of us got too heavy not knowing how to eat.
  • hockeystar84
    Options
    Also it is good to have one day to where you eat a little over your calories like for me i eat anywhere from 1800 - 2100 on my off day im gonna eat anywhere from 2300-2600 it helps rev up your thyroid and helps your metabolism i read it in a magazine today lol
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Nope! I start with a base of 1380 and burn minimum 400 calories a day ... and tend to eat that and a little more sometimes. I'm over today by about 150 and burned about 440 calories.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Well, my boyfriend used to be a personal trainer and I asked him about this and he said it was ridiculous to eat the calories you lose because it would defeat the purpose. And I agree. This thing of mfp giving you extra calories when you burn them is just weird. Think about it - why would you try and burn all of these calories to then get them back? Doesn't make much sense, does it?
    WRONG!
    MFP is set up with a built in deficit, so the PT's advice was rooted in his ignorance of how MFP operates.
    MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Plan your day on the days you workout, and start eating more at each meal - that way you don't have 700 extra cals late at night....
    As others said also add some higher calorie foods - good fats, salmon, avocado, olives, nut butters, nuts - by putting in some of these foods it is much easier to reach your calorie goals
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    omnomnomz exercise calories. *is obviously very fat from eating back her exercise calories.* :sad:
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    I have a difficult time reaching my 1200 calories for the day. The food I eat leaves me satisfied so I don't crave more! I had a few people on here tell me to add something like a handful of almonds as a snack in to bump it a little bit.
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my work out calories. I just eat between 1000 -1200 every day.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I struggle on Zumba days, non exercise days not at all, I like my food too much :).
    On exercise days I try to eat at least half of my exercise calories back, I've not got a lot left to lose and my daily amount before exercise is 1200 so I think I need to have at least some of them back.
    I need to plan better for Zumba days as I go in the evening: Too early for dinner beforehand (I hate jumping around on a full stomach) but by the time I get back it's a bit late for a proper meal. I tend to load up on cereal afterwards to make up the calories.

I'd say try eating them back with some higher calorie foods, see how it works for you and make changes if you're not happy with the results. Some peeps seem to be OK not eatng them back, me I stop losing after a while :/
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    I average 700-800 cals eaten per day ...period ! I can't imagine eating the ones I burn unless I turn to junk food ..I am not gonna eat a chocolate bar with no nutrition to get them ... I eat til I feel satisfied. I was too excited that I got over 1000 when I recorded a couple nights ago ...and then I had to have a pudding cup and a few almonds to get it ... Some people just don't have a big apetite....I know I end up with a lower metabolism from taking in so few ..but what can ya do ? I have lost 16 pounds so I don't think it's harming me too much in the fat loss dpt.
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    No, can I have your excess cals?
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    It is best to eat clean, but eat to goal daily no matter what.
    A McD cheeseburger should do the trick even though is not clean eating.
    Seriously, eating a few "bad" foods and reaching goals beats clean foods that fall short of your daily calorie goal. Your progress is stifled by not eating to goal.
    That's just more self-sabotage.
    Eat to goal no matter what; your body does not know or care the reasons why.
    It's just registering the too large deficit, and while you may lose weight for a season, what will be the quality of the weight loss, and does it lead to optimal health?

Just eat to goal; none of us got too heavy not knowing how to eat.

Exactly. If you gained the weight in the first place, you shouldn't have too many issues eating enough calories. Your weight loss will not be hindered if you spend those last 100 calories on some icecream.
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well, my boyfriend used to be a personal trainer and I asked him about this and he said it was ridiculous to eat the calories you lose because it would defeat the purpose. And I agree. This thing of mfp giving you extra calories when you burn them is just weird. Think about it - why would you try and burn all of these calories to then get them back? Doesn't make much sense, does it?

I disagree, my take on it is that if you are wanting to loose the desired amount per week set in the goals section ie "1lb per week" then you should eat all your cals including exercise cals as it takes into acount your daily activity level as you specified. this is not to say you should or shouldnt eat back those calories. if you are hungry eat them, if you arent dont. i think you will find if you stick to your calorie allowance and dont eat back your exercise cals you are likely to loose more than your specified lbs per week. do what works for you.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    No fair. I want a stomach that has a hunger cut off time.
  • hailz840
    Options
    WRONG!
    MFP is set up with a built in deficit, so the PT's advice was rooted in his ignorance of how MFP operates.
    MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.

well said
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I average 700-800 cals eaten per day ...period ! I can't imagine eating the ones I burn unless I turn to junk food ..I am not gonna eat a chocolate bar with no nutrition to get them ... I eat til I feel satisfied. I was too excited that I got over 1000 when I recorded a couple nights ago ...and then I had to have a pudding cup and a few almonds to get it ... Some people just don't have a big apetite....I know I end up with a lower metabolism from taking in so few ..but what can ya do ? I have lost 16 pounds since Dec 28th so I don't think it's harming me too much in the fat loss dpt.

so you're eating 700-800 calories a day, and then NOT eating back your exercise calories?! How many calories are you netting? how is your body supposed to fuel itself on such a tiny amount of food?!

Good grief people, you don't need to beat your body into submission - its not the enemy. Eat enough to have a moderate deficit, drink water and shake your butt at least 5 times a week. You have to fuel your body to get the results you want!!
  • hailz840
    Options
    Hello All!

I'm new to the mfp and I was surprised that we get extra calories to use when we work out. I'm a little worried that I can't eat the 700 plus calories that are left for the day as I don't really get hungry after 7:00pm. With all the water and fiber than I'm consuming, I'm just not that hungry. What should I do? Does it really matter? Help!:huh:

to answer your question, if YOU would like to eat all your calories on an exercise day, try and spread them out over the day if you are not hungry after 7pm. find some snacks which are high in calories, nuts, cheese etc to help you

Does it really matter? Depends, does it bother YOU? you will get loads of advice so do what works best for YOU
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    I average 700-800 cals eaten per day ...period ! I can't imagine eating the ones I burn unless I turn to junk food ..I am not gonna eat a chocolate bar with no nutrition to get them ... I eat til I feel satisfied. I was too excited that I got over 1000 when I recorded a couple nights ago ...and then I had to have a pudding cup and a few almonds to get it ... Some people just don't have a big apetite....I know I end up with a lower metabolism from taking in so few ..but what can ya do ? I have lost 16 pounds since Dec 28th so I don't think it's harming me too much in the fat loss dpt.

so you're eating 700-800 calories a day, and then NOT eating back your exercise calories?! How many calories are you netting? how is your body supposed to fuel itself on such a tiny amount of food?!

Good grief people, you don't need to beat your body into submission - its not the enemy. Eat enough to have a moderate deficit, drink water and shake your butt at least 5 times a week. You have to fuel your body to get the results you want!!

Yup that's what I am saying...and it's not because I set out to do it ..I eat ..whatever I make all day ...at the end I record and thats what it comes out to.. I am sitting here now wondering what to eat to bring it up a bit I think i'm around 800....I just had a pudding cup and 2 tablespoons of chia seeds to get that far ..I am someone who just doesn't get hungry ...I in all honesty forget to eat unless I plan it or the kids are home so I am making them a meal and make some for me too.. I was doing doubles at work for a long time and eating once a day ..I don't know if that became a habit or what but I really just have no appetite...and I am aware that, that is why I am fat . I do try ..it's not like I have an eating disorder ... I just don't eat ...I am thinking I may try boost or some kind of shakes I can just grab and drink in place of water....drinking so much water now that i'm in here makes it even harder to eat.

I should add I burn 500-800 cals a day or more too from exercising ..I am doing the 30 day shred ..plus an elliptical etc...I could never eat over 2000 cals unless I ate candy or take out ...I don't eat sugar ..other than a gram or so thats already in my foods ..

.1188 Calories Remaining Goal 1370 Food 887 - Exercise 705 = Net 182
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I often don't eat all the calories back. I'm just not hungry. I only eat if I am hungry.
  • athensguy
    Options
    At first yes, but after that not anymore. you'll get used to it

That's the way it went for me.

For the first couple of weeks, I had trouble eating all of my calories. Now, however, I don't seem to be having any trouble getting there.