Diet or workout??

Options
13»

Replies

• ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I think the diet should be the first to get started. But, it wouldn't hurt to just begin a little bit of exercise as well, such as a 20 min walk around the streets. Or the basic things like taking the stairs instead of the lift or escalator, etc.

Good luck! & Enjoy! :wink:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    For some of us, doing a complete over haul of our daily life by changing diet plus exersise regimen is a daunting task, so if a person were to take on one before the other, just to get used to one before adding the other, which would you suggest? I can see the pros and cons of either, but would just like some of you guys input.
    The elements of a successful program include cardio and resistant exercises as well as addressing food intake .
    I am not trying to be unkind, but for those unmotivated to take the proper action, failure is assured.

Don't even bother.

How would you have said this if you were trying to be unkind?

Every positive change you make is a step in the right direction. Focus on being healthier and stronger, and the weight loss will follow.
  • tjolley2much
    Options
    I started with exercise first. While I completely agree that diet is extremely important -- still struggling:) -- exercise provided me with an improved mood and energy level. I just felt so much better at the end of the day when I exericsed, both physically and mentally. Because I had not been exercising, the 20 minutes a day I started with, made small improvements in my body. That motivated me to do more healthy changes in order to see more improvement. So I started tracking my food. At the time I was 216 lbs. I didn't worry about "clean meals". I was all about the cals in/out. I lost 45 pounds this way.

I have gained approximately 15 lbs back over the last two years. I stopped tracking food and was only exercising sporadically. I am now back to tracking food and exercising 4 to 6 times a week. But, again, for me, exercise was my first endeavor. That works/worked for me because I like the exercise portion better.
  • mrsimon302
    mrsimon302 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BOTH!! at the exact same time.. lol
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I say change your diet first (NOT go on a diet). I went to the gym faithfully for months, and I "tried to eat better" but you know how that goes and I didn't lose an ounce. This time around, I started eating better first. For me, at least, the initial weight loss of counting calories is motivating and spurs me on to add more and more healthy habits to my life.
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this. I've been a little nervous about adding in exercise and tried to, but felt like I would fall off my eating. Now it's been about a month of eating right and i'm finally ready to really add exercising in and know that I am in a better place to stick to what I have been doing. Good luck!
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For some of us, doing a complete over haul of our daily life by changing diet plus exersise regimen is a daunting task, so if a person were to take on one before the other, just to get used to one before adding the other, which would you suggest? I can see the pros and cons of either, but would just like some of you guys input.
    The elements of a successful program include cardio and resistant exercises as well as addressing food intake .
    I am not trying to be unkind, but for those unmotivated to take the proper action, failure is assured.

Don't even bother.

I find this to be very hurtful, please if you dont have anything semi encouraging to say, just keep it to yourself. I never said that I didn't *want* to do it all, just that I was over whelmed by it, and wanting to know the first step to take it the right direction. People like you who are discouraging have no place on the forums where up building advice it needed. Please dont be an *kitten*.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you know how to get an effective workout and are dedicated enough to continue working out without seeing results.

I was doing real workouts 5 days a week for 3 months straight and lost 5 lbs, and 2 inches... wich I gained back in a 2-week vacation. I did get stronger, but nothing impressive. I was also trying to "watch" what I ate, but was really leinient with myself as my focus was exercise. It was frustrating and I still wonder if I wasted 3 months.

I started tracking my nutrition and am down almost 20 lbs and 20 inches in one month. I still eat a lot of what I ate before, just in more moderate portions and with less frequency. I'm not hungry or tired... most days (I have 3 kids so tired still happens).

I'm still working out, and I'm sure my 3-month prep helped with the fast shed last month, but if I were to say weather or not it was "worth" it in those first 3 months, I would have said NO.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I think it's all about what YOU would feel more excited about changing. Or *interested* may be a better word than excited :) What is it that's tugging at you more? For me, just starting with logging my food and learning about how to balance the macros was really eye-opening. I mean, I totally underestimated how much of a pleasant habit it would become. I actually like doing it now. Before, it really was a chore... and that's only because it wasn't a habit yet.

Exercise was more hard won for me. I wasn't what most would consider "fat" or even that much out of shape when I started... but, it sure felt like work to make myself START, you know? I started with walking, then Jillian Michaels DVDs, dancing, body weight exercises... and lo and behold, I'm lifting heavy (relatively) **** now! :)

So... it really can have a snowball effect once started. And just start anywhere... wherever it is YOU want to start.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would say either one. Doing something is almost always better than doing nothing. Personally I started with diet first, because I needed some time to get some equipment together for a home gym. And a few weeks later, added the exercise routine. But I see no harm in doing it the other way around depending on circumstances and preference.
    Absolutely agree with this. Don't even wait. Pick one. Both is better. Do both if you can. But if you have to pick one, pick one that you can continue doing. There is no real advantage to doing one first that I can see. Getting into healthy patterns, establishing a routine, building healthy habits. That's what matters. Just start. I started with diet - that was easier for me to be consistent. After a couple months, I started Couch-to-5K (great running program for beginners) three times a week. I am now doing a home workout 6x/week.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Don't even bother.

I find this to be very hurtful, please if you dont have anything semi encouraging to say, just keep it to yourself. I never said that I didn't *want* to do it all, just that I was over whelmed by it, and wanting to know the first step to take it the right direction. People like you who are discouraging have no place on the forums where up building advice it needed. Please dont be an *kitten*.

I think it's impossible for him not to be an *kitten*. Just ignore it.

I started controlling my diet and slowly built up my exercising. I found it a lot easier to control my food rather than eat a lot and worry about working off the calories.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Don't even bother.

I think it's impossible for him not to be an *kitten*. Just ignore it.

I agree. All I remember is him calling my husband an insecure little troll. That was enough for me. LOL.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Diet beats exercise every time. Focus on eating healthy and establishing that habit. No processed or junk food. Then add exercise. It makes you feel great and will help maintain your weightloss.

Experts say your body composition is:

80% Diet
    10% Exercise
    10% Genetics

I personally.. need to tighten my diet!

Well said!!! I agree, in fact when I watch the calories sometimes I lose more. As far as exercise, it is good for you but doing daily activities are exercise. I need to do them as I just retired and stopped smoking.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Diet, but try adding a little more activity too to help you build up to adding workouts, perhaps a 20-30 minute walk every day.

The quality of what you're eating counts for a lot and how much of it too however.

Exercise is important for Cardio vascular (heart and lung health) and building lean muscle mass which helps burn calories AND also muscle tone is important for strength to keep your body healthy and protected and safe.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My husband hasn't changed his diet at all and has added in just 30 minutes on my exercise bike daily and his down 2 belt sizes and 10+lbs.

That said - I'm still a firm believer in eating well. However, in order to get body changes, you will need exercises.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    So being a fitness professional, I'm going to say EXERCISE first.

You can be overweight and fit, and slowly change your diet over.

You can lose weight and NOT be fit.

Here's the problem I see. If you don't like to exercise now, and lose weight from just dieting, what's really your motivation to exercise after you lose the weight you want? Chances are you'll be happy with weight and look at exercise as a time consuming thing you may not want to do.
    By learning how to get fit first, you'll not only build a stronger body, but when you do start "dieting" the weight will come off faster and you will RETAIN the lean muscle you body already has instead of losing it by just doing dieting alone.

Hit the exercise first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition