Are my 3lb dumbbells useless?

Options
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but if I use my 3lb dumbbells and high reps to work my upper body, am I accomplishing anything at all?

Replies

• cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yep :) But instead, you'll probably have to do a considerable amount of extra reps to feel anything at all..

My sister is using 1kg weights and one night, I thought I'd see how many reps I could do until I felt anything....

500 reps later, I couldn't lift it :P

It will work, but not effectively. You're much better off getting a higher weight :)
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    3lbs is useless, weigh your purse its at least 5 pounds. Start lifting heavy!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're useless. I started with 2 lb weights, and when I would do any type of overhead/arm raising exercise, I definitely felt it the next day. When it starts to get easy with 3 lb weights, try increasing the weight.
  • melrose09
    Options
    Yep...If you can do more than 12 reps with good for, you need to move up in weight.
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ive had the skinniest arms ever...my whole life. people call me "tooth pick arms" rofl :)!!! no joke.3lb weights are still pretty heavy for me. yes, its okay to laugh. everyone is different :) but they definitely make me sore. do whatever is right for your body :) no they aren't usless if your feeling the burn in your arms :)
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    ive wondered this as well, i recently got 5lb weights. small steps! =]
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    3lbs is useless, weigh your purse its at least 5 pounds. Start lifting heavy!

100% agree
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    They are very useful...door stops, paper weights and dust collectors. Lift heavy! If you don't really feel it on your 10th rep it's probably too light.
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    I started w/3lbs weights, got up to 5, then 8 & now 10 lbs...start at ur own pace & gradually up ur weights when they get to light 2 lift...
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I'm at 20 right now, just starting to lift heavier with fewer reps. It's a ***** (excuse my language), but I'm getting better results.

Edit: Aww, really? It edited my language? Pssh.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Not useless. We use them in kickboxing class for a little extra push. Hold the weights while doing jabs, uppercuts and crosspunches. Add some squats in too!
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're useless. I started with 2 lb weights, and when I would do any type of overhead/arm raising exercise, I definitely felt it the next day. When it starts to get easy with 3 lb weights, try increasing the weight.

I agree with this. And then when you move up to more weight, the 3-pounders make great doorstops.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Yep...If you can do more than 12 reps with good for, you need to move up in weight.

^^ this is the rule I follow too :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but if I use my 3lb dumbbells and high reps to work my upper body, am I accomplishing anything at all?

Not useless as such. You're basically accomplishing cardio and endurance conditioning with those.

If you're after strength training (which you should be :smile:) you will most likely want to pick up something heavier and do generally less reps.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Not useless. We use them in kickboxing class for a little extra push. Hold the weights while doing jabs, uppercuts and crosspunches. Add some squats in too!

I agree with this. I'm using them now for the 30 Day Shred.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Yep, this is what I was going to say.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i use mine for my ripped in 30 work outs. it's helped me build some muscle regardless. but i got stupid skinny arms. so thats probably why. lol
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I always wondered the same thing.. I use 8 & 10 lb. depending. i do 20 reps for everything. It seems to be working for me.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're useless either. I use them sometimes while on the stationary bike to get some upper body movement. When I first started lifting(the regular way), I did do a lot of reps, but later I started using both weights in one hand until I could get some heavier ones...takes a little longer doing one arm at a time, but could still feel the burn - good luck!:drinker:
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Anything below 5lbs is useless if you are strength training. But that's only me... :-)