A male observation concerning TOM

Options
Just a male observation, when it comes to TOM why do women weigh themselves during that time. All of my female friends say they are bloated with water and it is just normal to carry extra weight during that time. Why then do you not weigh next week after Tom has gone. That makes more sense to me than going and getting a not accurate weight due to TOM. That would be like me going and drinking a gallon of water just before I weighed, that makes no sense at all. Am I crazy, or does this make sense?

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I bloat, but if I make sure not to eat everything in sight I can actually lose at that time. It's rare for me to gain a significant amount of weight at that time when i'm behaving myself with food cravings. I weigh myself daily and I know my body's fluctuations, though, so if I have a hot fudge sundae at midnight the night before my cycle is due and then wake up 3 pounds heavier, I know it's just water and will come off in the next day or so. I didn't know that years ago when I first started tracking and would freak out at any gain. It's good to learn about one's body and their normal fluctuations.
  • Anjeroo
    Options
    I weight myself daily regardless as not every woman is lucky enough to have a regular schedule. Especially as my work outs are more intense ... the irregularity increases.

I also find my temptation to eat salty and sweet things is greater then. If I see the scale up a pound or two it's frightening and it "scares me straight". Just because my body craves those things doesn't mean I NEED those things. It's just harder to say no with raging hormones :P I also find those are harder days to push through my workouts. Probably similar case to a guy trying to push through a weights routine if you just got over the flu or are coming down with a cold.

We all have rough days ... I just don't let those ones be an excuse for me being sloppy and lazy. The scale is my true blue friend... never lies!
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That totally makes sense. I stay away from the scale during that time. Plus I tend to eat a bit more during that time.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed a difference, Two things I think is wrong with your logic in this weird observation =D

1. I could be wrong here but I think you would actuly weigh more the week before cause the week of you are expelling (if you know what I mean :sick:

2. if a lady has done really well a week and lost 3 pounds I doubt a TOM makes you wiegh an extra 3 pounds, right? thats a lot, so you will still see a lose,
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Yes, it makes sense. I don't take it to heart if I weigh during TOM and it's more. I just am in the habit of weighing everyday, first thing in the morning... regardless of TOM or whatever. But, sure... I know as soon as I see it go up 2-4 pounds those days that it's just the fluid... no big deal.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I weigh but don't record. It's funny, since I started exercising regularly and eating better I don't really bloat as much. I usually won't lose that week but I don't generally notice a substantial (temporary) gain either
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I start weighing heavier the week before so when I get on scales and I'm suddenly up by 4-5lbs I'll think what date is it?.. rather than panicking, a day or two later the cravings kick in big time. I do allow myself more calories choc and carb wise.

Usually 'white' carbs bloat me so I avoid them (low carb/wheat free most of the month) but as I'm already bloated anyway I allow a few treat meals as the water is gonna come off the next week, so might allow fish (in batter) with chips - oven cooked not fried though or spag bol for a change or a big yorkie (yorkshire pudding/toad in the hole) if it falls on weekend instead of a mini one with sunday dinner.

Usually I still manage to lose on top of 4lb water that goes on I might lose an additional 2-4lbs, but as I didn't log the pounds going back on (knowing they were temporary) when i weigh I just record the 2-4lbs rather than a 7lb loss or something... if I did eat too much usually the same amount of water still comes off but I stay same weight I was just before they started... but usually my biggest loss is that week and most of other weeks its only 1/2 - 1lb now as I'm quite near my goal weight.
  • vscott913
    vscott913 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First, I'd like to commend you on trying to help. You really stuck your neck out on this one! ;-D Some women are prone to bloating during TOM, but others apparently are not. I guess it all comes down to knowing yourself. If you are one who bloats, and it's only from water (not eating to satisfy cravings and for some, perhaps, using their TOM as an excuse to indulge), then it might be best not to weigh in during TOM, but for those who don't... go ahead and weigh in! For some, it might be a way to remind themselves not to indulge.... it comes down to knowing you and why you're weighing in. If you always bloat, and it's always just water, and it depresses you to see the numbers rise... then don't weigh in during your cycle, especially if that causes you to feel like there's no use in sticking to your plan since you're gaining weight anyway. For me, I have problems with water retention anyway and sodium is my arch nemisis, so, when I see a stall, or a gain.... if I look at my sodium intake for the past few days, I have my answer. I don't LIKE my answer, but at least I HAVE my answer and I know what to do to correct it. Again, you're a very brave man! Food for thought (OK, take FOOD out of that sentence!). hehe

Veronica
  • angevee
    angevee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself, but as I'm not as regular as some it gives me a better indication as to when it might happen. I tend to start bloating 2 weeks before hand and only weighing for half the month is surely asking for trouble? What you are saying makes perfect sense, just not for me :tongue:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    2. if a lady has done really well a week and lost 3 pounds I doubt a TOM makes you wiegh an extra 3 pounds, right? thats a lot, so you will still see a lose,

Actually a lot of women gain 3-6 pounds while on TOM.. and as OP said, most of that is water weight. People don't really lose 3 pounds at any given time unless they are just starting out or they have a lot to lose. If those two are not in play and they are losing 3 pounds a week, then it can be un-healthy.

To OP:
    All i know is that when it comes to TOM, all logic goes out the window. We've all been having it since we were teenagers and we're now just suddenly noticing the bloat? Yea I think not.. It's been there all along, but we're just now noticing it since we are weighing on the scale more.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well in some cases, as someone mentioned above, we start to weight heavier a week or so before, and for me as I am not regular I do step on the scale and think YIKES!! Whats happened!? Then a few days later TOM actually starts and I think "Ohhhh so thats why!"
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Mens is so logical.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Because we love to see the wooosh that comes after ;)
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Because we love to see the wooosh that comes after ;)

Hahaha. Great one.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky with my cycles and generally don't see more than the tiniest bit of PMS symptoms. I weigh myself everyday and as long as I am on a downward trend, I don't worry about being up a pound or two for a few days.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm inconsistent.... I've had bloating before OR during, so if I didn't weigh in during TOM, I wouldn't be weighing in half the month. I've accepted that this "bloating" IS part of my weight. Weight is fluid - it fluctuates.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    This TOM dude sounds like a real jerk, LOL!
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I weigh during that time, but not to get an accurate gauge of my weight. I do it to keep an eye on my water retention level, so I can drink more water/reduce caffeine/reduce salt/sugar if it starts to get out of hand. Bloat is more than just uncomfortable and annoying, it also raises my blood pressure so I try to pay attention to it.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I easily gain 5 lbs of water weight every time and it won't go until it is over. I add a few more hundred calories too and I end up losing more than if I avoid eating during that time. Also, I try to exercise because it helps with the cramping. I am literally down for the count with the pain.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think many women like to torture themselves :laugh: I personally weigh every day just to stay on track. Even though I know that number will be higher, I want to know how high to keep it managable. :happy: