Pooping - this is a serious question...

Options
Okay, first time poster and I'm a *little* embarrassed to be posting about pooping, but hey... this is a good crowd, right? (I apologize profusely if this isn't the right forum, but it seemed to be the "least inappropriate.")

The upshot is: On mornings that go like this...
1. Workout
2. Weigh in
3. *cough*Daily Constitutional*cough*
4. Weigh again just for kicks

The second weight has been CONSISTENTLY higher than the first. The 1st couple of times it happened I chuckled, made jokes about gas, whatever.

But it's ALWAYS the case. (A sample size here of more than 4, anyway.) And it is so absolutely counterintuitive that I started wondering if I'm the only person that has encountered it.

Thanks for your insight, or at least your tolerance...
R

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    ?? This one has me stumped. I sometimes do the same, but mine goes down a pound (or two!.. I eat a LOT of fiber).
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You're not eating or drinking anywhere in that schedule???

Also, are these events right after one another - i.e. 7:00 am: stand on scale, 7: 01 am: sit on toilet, 7:06 am: stand on scale again? Or do you weigh the first time, hang out a bit, use the bathroom, then weigh right after that? If so, it may just be normal fluctuation (my weight goes up as the morning progresses whether I eat or not).

If they are all right after each other and you aren't eating or drinking, I have no idea either - quite strange! But, strange as it is, I guess it's probably not really a problem so much as a peculiarity.

Mine stays the same or goes down a half pound. Maybe I need more fiber....!!! ;)

On another note, I am glad I'm not the only weirdo in the world that does this!!!! Ha!!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    This should be a Twilight episode on the Weight Watchers channel
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Same scale? Zeroed both times before weigh in?
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Same scale? Zeroed both times before weigh in?

Yep - and yep!

Maybe it needs new batteries.

And there's really not a whole lot going on in between. No eating or drinking - there'd be no mystery if that was the case. It's become a minor obsession now, I'm trying to keep the variables as controlled as I can.

No different clothes. Not holding the cat. It's weird. It's sometimes been only a half pound (which is the lowest increment the scale goes to) but this morning it was two.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Increased blood flow and water retention in muscles that wouldn't show up right after workout until muscles begin to relax and go into recovery mode?
  • runningmaria
    runningmaria Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would guess it is the scale. Have your weighed yourself twice or three times right in a row to see if you get the same weight every time? When I bought a scale last year lots of online reviews said they would get different weights immediately on some scales. Or maybe it's just a low battery?
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This should be a Twilight episode on the Weight Watchers channel
    HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am pretty regular, always first thing in the morning, I sometimes weigh before and after and I am usually down about 1lb...give or take
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes exactlly the same for me, it usually reverts back to the lower weight or maybe a bit lower after about 10 minutes
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Citrucel or probiotics daily and lots of water.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Wow, I usually can count on a minus 1.2lbs after a good pooh.

Are you eating anti-matter?
  • carolannallen
    Options
    I know how you feel about it being an obsession thats too funny, I am totaly perplexed by it!!! I have the exact same problem. I can weight myself go do some stuff then my "thing" and weigh more. You would think taking out the gabage would lighten the trash can ! AHAHAHA..... maybe we should get a doctor in on this?
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Seriously - a second weigh in just for kicks??

That would drive me insane. Weighing in once a day is one thing, more than once a day is a bit crazy- IMO. No offence!
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Feel assured you are not the only one that does this or that this happens to. I tell my husband that I'm the only person that can take a dump and gain weight (which for the record he thinks is entirely TMI) I don't have the faintest idea why, but I do feel better knowing that I am not alone :)
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    that is weird and yes I will be trying this myself this morning ahhaha. Short of weighing the actual bm I don't know what to tell you. Have you tried weighing yourself like 10 mins later without drinking or eating anything.

Ven
  • jjfleck
    Options
    It's gottta be the scale - without question. I eat lots of fiber and usually am good for up to a pound daily.
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    (edit: Duplicate post)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

That would drive me insane. Weighing in once a day is one thing, more than once a day is a bit crazy- IMO. No offence!
    Really, you've never been curious about how different things affect your body? It's interesting!
  • rprussell2004
    Options

It was the first time - to sort of see how much I got rid of. (I'm part of a 'biggest loser' contest among family, so there was a LITTLE bit of incentive there...) So I was trying to nickel-and-dime my weight a bit.

Turns out it backfired.

HAHA no offense taken. If that's the worst I get from a post about excrement, I'm calling it a good day.
    It's gottta be the scale - without question.

That's the direction I'm leaning. It's kinda old, even if it IS digital, and I've never replaced the batteries.

Funny how much faith we put into these things. And now that (someone else) mentions it, I have weighed myself several times in a row and it's unpredictable within about the same weight range...

Well, this would be totally anticlimactic if it was just a fault of the scale. It also means I might not be actually losing what I think I am. I've been at least counting on the scale to be internally consistent. Gr.