I need help with Low carbing? If you dont agree to low carbi

Options
Hi all I need some help, I have PCOS and that is the main reason that I am doing LC I dont want to hear Calories in Calories out because that does not work for me believe me I have tried!

I have gone from eating 50+% of my calories/food on carbs (looking at past reports on here) to now 10% ish of my diet on carbs.

I am trying to stay under 30 carbs a day. I am only just starting out but I was expecting me to lose weight but its just not moving! Now I have been eating the Josephs Flax bread wraps (4 net carbs for 1/2 wrap) for lunch most days and I have eaten sugar free jelly with double cream at night and I have also had some Atkins bars to try and beat the sugar cravings. I ma drinking lots of water I am still drinking decaf coffee (black) and I have been counting that in my water (is this wrong?)

Apart from that I have compleatly revamped my food but I have lost 1 pound!!! What am I doing wrong? Should I stick to the Atkins induction to the T? I was thinking that I was doing ok? If I am totally off mark and I need telling then please tell me I want to lose the weight but doing this and seeing no results is pissing me off to be honest!

Thanks

Kelly

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this?
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Not long 2 and a half weeks.
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Anyone?
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    If you are going to go LC then you need to read the Atkins Diet book. They reccomend zero carbs during the induction phase, which I believe is 2 weeks. You should be able to find the book for about $10 most anywhere.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    i read Tim Ferris 4hr body
    its an amazing book i think it might help you with were you want to get too :)
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've been following the CarbLovers diet. In 5 days, I've lost 4 pounds. And, I have PCOS.

I got the book at my local grocery store, and even my husband loves the meals (especially the baked salmon, greens, and parmesan potatoes dinner).

I was trying hard to lose weight doing as low of carbs as I could find, and I couldn't succeed. The carbs I'm eating are the good carbs that are in bananas, oatmeal, whole grains, and whole wheats. Aside from the first day, I'm really not hungry in between meals and snacks!
  • ollie88bug
    Options
    My trainer tells me to do low carb at night and I find when I actually do meat and salad it is better than say atkins bars. Maybe try chicken, fish, and veggies vs packaged bars and shakes....just my suggestion
  • JenSmith1104
    Options
    I have PCOS too and my nutritionist and OB/GYN both suggested low carb, but not anything below 30% of daily intake from carbs. My diet is set up as 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fats.
  • ybii
    ybii Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

I am not a nutritionist and I don't know about your body. But it sounds like you need some support. As someone else suggested, get the Atkins Diet book or the Lindora Lean for Life (L4L) book. I use L4L and have had great success.

Reducing carbs and finding your own formula for weight loss is something that requires tools and support. Check it out!

Good luck
  • Got2believe
    Got2believe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    from my own experience low carbing it (especially for pcos), I learned to not look at the scale. Do you SEE a difference, does your clothing fit differently?

Try staying away from the wraps, also away from the sweetener replacements... I'm not one to talk I have trouble doing it, but it may put you into ketosis which for this diet is what you need.
    I started keto (20 or lower daily) back the beginning of jan. I've lost very little weight (I messed up A LOT because of circumstances), and the one thing it did for me was regulate my cycle.. I actually got it a week after starting the plan (had skipped 100 days)
    I'm back on it and now i'm dropping, though i refuse to weigh in at the moment lol *(too chicken)

give it some time, pick up some ketosis testing strips and see if you are in it.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I think you are having too many carbs. Try cutting out more. I think you have to have less than 20 carbs to get results.
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would cut out the refined carbs all together including the Atkins's bars. I hate to say it but I also have PCOS and it's a stubborn bi*ch. You should be eating carbs that come from natural sources ie: veg, fruit, dairy, flax. Try and keep your sodium and sugar intake to a minimum. I personally try and keep my sugar under 13g/day, it's not that hard just be conscious of what you eat! Sodium is another killer, if you don't drink enough water, it will make you retain a slight bit of water (well for me it does anyways). Take a look at my diary for ideas...it's helped me lose 19lbs in 3.5 weeks...

Also I eat about 28-38 carbs/day or about 18-28 NET carbs per day and still manage to stay in Ketosis (as per the sticks)...

I highly recommend the sticks!!!! Ketostix, ask for them as they are behind the counter.
  • yoli830
    Options
    I have cut my carbs drastically, probably from about 55%-60% of my diet to between 20%-25%. Numbers wise from over 200g to 50g or so... What I have found that has worked for me is to pay very close attention to where the carbs are actually coming from. I have started to only eat carbs from fruits or vegetables, no grains at all, even low carb grains. Whole grains are starchy carbs and those get stored as fat more easily than fibrous carbs from veggies. For fruits I usually stick to things like apples and I never have fruit after my second meal of the day, which is usually between 10 and 11am. After that all my carbs either come from vegetables or the few carbs contained in nuts. Since I lift weights I cannot go down to only 30g a day because my performance falls drastically. But even cutting down from 100g to 50g or so has helped me lose 2 pounds in just the past week. Hope this helps :)
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL! XX Seriously I appreciate all the help I can get. Ok I think I need to go back to square 1 and cut out the wraps and the bars totally.

I drink sweetner in my coffee is that also a big No No? Its my one thing that I would hate to give up I drink decaf black coffee now (from a white latte with 3 extra shots)
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes wraps and bars are not your friend :)

Eventually when you have the weight off you will be able to add them back in but until then nix them!
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    2.5 weeks isn't a long time, if you are looking at weight loss you need to think long term. in fact if you go on a diet and lose large amounts of weight in 2.5 weeks you are probably either not really losing the weight (scale inconsistencies, bowel content, dehydration, clothing, etc) or are doing it very unhealthily.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing fine, if you are looking for more low carb ideas or recipes there are plenty in the database and some with pics. Just do a search for low carb ideas or low carb recipes.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend cutting out the artificial sweeteners. My trainer at the gym told me that they cause hormones to go crazy, so if you have PCOS, that could help.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Not that its necessarily low carb, but you might want to take a look into Paleo or Primal. It cuts out all grains and I have read that this does wonders for PCOS. Its all about eating a clean, unprocessed diet. Might be worth looking into!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hi all I need some help, I have PCOS and that is the main reason that I am doing LC I dont want to hear Calories in Calories out because that does not work for me believe me I have tried!

I have gone from eating 50+% of my calories/food on carbs (looking at past reports on here) to now 10% ish of my diet on carbs.

I am trying to stay under 30 carbs a day. I am only just starting out but I was expecting me to lose weight but its just not moving! Now I have been eating the Josephs Flax bread wraps (4 net carbs for 1/2 wrap) for lunch most days and I have eaten sugar free jelly with double cream at night and I have also had some Atkins bars to try and beat the sugar cravings. I ma drinking lots of water I am still drinking decaf coffee (black) and I have been counting that in my water (is this wrong?)

Apart from that I have compleatly revamped my food but I have lost 1 pound!!! What am I doing wrong? Should I stick to the Atkins induction to the T? I was thinking that I was doing ok? If I am totally off mark and I need telling then please tell me I want to lose the weight but doing this and seeing no results is pissing me off to be honest!

Thanks

Kelly

I would cut out all the processed foods for the time being like the St Josephs wraps, sugar free jello, Atkins bars, etc.

Stick to REAL food. Proteins (meat, eggs, greek yogurt like Greek Gods or Fage), Fats (coconut oil, olive oil, butter, beef tallow, etc), vegetables and fruits.

And also, are you getting plenty of sleep for your body to heal and restore itself? Are you drinking plenty of water?

Remember that most mayos, salad dressings, etc (bottled stuff from the stores) have sugar which is hidden carbs and can hinder progress, especially in those of us that have PCOS and insulin resistance.

Don't stress about it because stress will hinder the body also. And lastly, it takes time for the body to convert from sugar burning over to fat burning.

The progress will come.........

Even if you don't see immediate weight loss, ask yourself these questions. How do I feel? Do I have more energy? Are my moods better? Am I sleeping better?

Overall well being is progress too!!

Feel free to friend me if you like. I would love to assist you and congratulate you as your progress begins.