Replies

• xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are not the enemy.
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I watch my carb intake and still try to stay under my recommended calorie amount. That has been working great for me. When i did straight low carb and didn't watch my caloric intake, i loss weight VERY slow. So now i cut the carbs and still watch my caloric intake.....that works for me. Good luck! :smile:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Not that its necessarily low carb, but you might want to take a look into Paleo or Primal. It cuts out all grains and I have read that this does wonders for PCOS. Its all about eating a clean, unprocessed diet. Might be worth looking into!

Yes, I actually transitioned over from Atkins to Paleo and have kind of combined the 2 into a lifestyle that works for me.

So, I am a clean eating Atkins Paleor, LOL
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Refined carbohydrates outside of fruits and vegetables in someone that has endocrine and metabolic issues such as Diabetes, Insulin Resistance, PCOS are the enemy.

Congrats to you if you don't have metabolic or endocrine issues, but those of us that do, yes, carbs are the enemy. This is not a one size fits all thing when it comes to eating.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, and like others have mentioned make sure not only that your daily intake of carbs is low - actually pay attention to where those carbs come from. Skip the wraps and the atkins bars. Make sure instead that you get your carbs from fruit and veg with a lot of fiber. I personally stay away from fruit like watermelon, pineapple, bananas for that reason. Apples are good, cherries and strawberries too. Blueberries are good!

Try to stick with it a little bit longer, because it does really work. With PCOS it takes a while to crack your personal code though I think. You have to figure out what works for you. It's tricky but it can be done. Be really careful with your sodium as well.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL! XX Seriously I appreciate all the help I can get. Ok I think I need to go back to square 1 and cut out the wraps and the bars totally.

I drink sweetner in my coffee is that also a big No No? Its my one thing that I would hate to give up I drink decaf black coffee now (from a white latte with 3 extra shots)
    I have also read that in tests, people using artificial sweeteners lose weight less quickly than those using sugar - so if you can avoid them and get used to tasting what you are drinking, I think that will help. Good luck :smile:
  • shine_
    Options

Refined carbohydrates outside of fruits and vegetables in someone that has endocrine and metabolic issues such as Diabetes, Insulin Resistance, PCOS are the enemy.

Congrats to you if you don't have metabolic or endocrine issues, but those of us that do, yes, carbs are the enemy. This is not a one size fits all thing when it comes to eating.

This.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I have PCOS too, and like others have mentioned make sure not only that your daily intake of carbs is low - actually pay attention to where those carbs come from. Skip the wraps and the atkins bars. Make sure instead that you get your carbs from fruit and veg with a lot of fiber. I personally stay away from fruit like watermelon, pineapple, bananas for that reason. Apples are good, cherries and strawberries too. Blueberries are good!

Try to stick with it a little bit longer, because it does really work. With PCOS it takes a while to crack your personal code though I think. You have to figure out what works for you. It's tricky but it can be done. Be really careful with your sodium as well.

Yes, exactly.

Now as far as fruit........I stick to berries and melons mostly. Then comes apples, pears, peaches, kiwi, etc............

I eat far more vegetables than fruit though.
  • challengeaccepted
    Options
    If you are going to go LC then you need to read the Atkins Diet book. They reccomend zero carbs during the induction phase, which I believe is 2 weeks. You should be able to find the book for about $10 most anywhere.

I have an Atkins book, can't remember the title, and it states that 20g of NET carbs per day for two weeks for induction and then to add 5g of net carbs per week after that until you reach a point where you are no longer losing weight. That is when one cuts out 5g net carbs to keep losing weight. So let's say I'm finally up to 35g net carbs and I am no longer losing weight. I will commence to consume 30 g of net carbs until I reach my desired weight. Then will again re-introduce carbs to where I am no longer losing or gaining weight.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

For someone with PCOS, they kinda are.

OP, you might want to check out the Groups for low-carb and PCOS support.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    If you are going to go LC then you need to read the Atkins Diet book. They reccomend zero carbs during the induction phase, which I believe is 2 weeks. You should be able to find the book for about $10 most anywhere.

I have an Atkins book, can't remember the title, and it states that 20g of NET carbs per day for two weeks for induction and then to add 5g of net carbs per week after that until you reach a point where you are no longer losing weight. That is when one cuts out 5g net carbs to keep losing weight. So let's say I'm finally up to 35g net carbs and I am no longer losing weight. I will commence to consume 30 g of net carbs until I reach my desired weight. Then will again re-introduce carbs to where I am no longer losing or gaining weight.

Exactly..............Atkins teaches a person to know at what level of eating a person can lose weight, maintain and gain weight.

This was in the REAL Dr Atkins books that were written by Dr A himself, not the stupid Corporation that took the company after his death.

Atkins Nutritionals Corporation is more into pushing their processed junk along with whole foods eating............it makes me SMDH
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Is there any book that talks about PCOS and what one should eat ? I want to get it for my niece
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options

They are when you have PCOS and are infertile and have tried EVERYTHING else to lose weight.
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Thank you all again I really appreaciate it.

Ok the plan of action is lots more water (I have been drinking 6 cups of decaf coffee with 2 teaspoons of sweetner a day) and I have been counting the coffee in my water amount also.

Give up the low carb wraps for now and quit the bars

I will do the induction 100%.

Now I do have a question of Flax I have seen posts for MIM (Muffin in a min) is Flax seed allowed on induction?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Drink more water! When you are low carb, this usually is low in fiber too. To help flush out everything, drink a LOT of water. Don't count anything but clean fresh water. I am high protein, low carb and low fat. I've had to really drink a lot of water to make up for not getting moisture from my foods. I also add benefiber to my protein shakes to help too.

Hope this is helpful!
  • TahliS
    TahliS Posts: 52
    Options
    Im going to send you an add request. I have P.C.O.S too and experimented a lot.. just as you are doing. Yes, lower carb does work but you have to eat some.. you will still loose. Anyway, Ill add you and you can check out my diary :)
  • shine_
    Options

Yes, exactly.

Now as far as fruit........I stick to berries and melons mostly. Then comes apples, pears, peaches, kiwi, etc............

I eat far more vegetables than fruit though.

I'm working on doing the same. I mean I do eat a ton of vegetables already but I love fruit so probably eat more than I should some days which obviously has a negative effect on my sugar intake - fructose or not, it's still sugar! Love berries for the low sugar content! <3
  • shine_
    Options
    Is there any book that talks about PCOS and what one should eat ? I want to get it for my niece

Have a look on amazon, there are cookbooks as well as just general guides on there.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Nobody mentioned your fat intake. I just looked at 1 day but it was looming there over 100 gms. You need fat but healthy fat. Try adding almonds, avocado, walnuts and olive oil. When you have healthy fats your body will be more likely to get rid of the stored fats.
    The other thing you might want to try is Stevia instead of other sweetners...0 on the glycemic index.
    I don't know if these are allowed for someone with your condition so I'm sorry if I'm off base...just trying to help.
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Thank you all again xx