Future baby name

Options

Replies

• cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Also consider how the name will affect them when they are 40. What seems like a great name for a 5 year old could be embarassing for an adult.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've decided not to be wild about another baby name until I am actually pregnant. Almost every name I've loved before I got pregnant became trendy. I'm SO not a trendy person so I couldn't go with it after it became popular. IE: Isabella, Jackson, Logan, Dylan. I still love the names, but not for my child.

Oooh I like Jackson as well, but I'd spell it Jaxon.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the connotation. When I googled Bakura, this is what came up:

"Originally from egypt, Bakura is an evil spirit"

agree with this
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Go for what you like....but when choosing baby names...you really have to look at if from a kids perspective too....bullying is getting worse and worse these days...You don't want to pick a name that will make them an easy target. I.e D/ck or name then after a disease of some sort without realizing it.
    I agree with this. I tried to talk my friend out of naming her son "Tucker"...but she went with it. He's in kindergarden now, and not sure if he's getting called the obvious...but am still sure its coming eventually!
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice guys. we have our boys name picked out already. It Andrew Jacob. and yeah i guess ill go back to the drawing bored for that name lol

I'm seriously not trying to be mean, but you have a totally normal nice named picked out for your son and this unique Bakura name for a girl.
    I never got parents who named there kids something wildly different.

btw even if it means evil spirit, Bakura sounds like a bad *kitten* name. I like it.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    With respect, I'm not a fan of any unusual names. It seems to me that that's a parent's way to try to make their kid unique, when all they're really doing is forcing their kid to have to spell their name for people forever. A kid should be unique because of who they are and the personality they develop...not because their parents chose to give them an unusual name.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!!!...Your child will hate their name and change it when she's 18. Both of my children have unique names but I had to make sure they didn't sound like I had a mouth full of sh** when I say it. Sorry but names are so sensitive. At my job we have a running list of terrible names like Jewelry, Africanique...WTH?!?!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    TBH it sounded like a name i had heard before so i googled it (the bakura part i mean) and it's a character in one of my fave animes: Yu-Gi-Oh,
    bakura4.jpgBakura befriends Yugi Mutou and his friends and remains their friend for much of the series. However, Bakura possesses the Millennium Ring, an ancient Egyptian artifact that, unbeknownst to Bakura himself, houses an evil spirit that plots to steal Yugi's Millennium Puzzle. He is a secondary antagonist in early seasons, but the main antagonist of the Memory World arc. Throughout the series the soul of the human Bakura is almost entirely suppressed and he is continuously controlled by the spirit, except in rare moments where he is separated from the Ring or able to overpower the spirit.
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!!!...Your child will hate their name and change it when she's 18. Both of my children have unique names but I had to make sure they didn't sound like I had a mouth full of sh** when I say it. Sorry but names are so sensitive. At my job we have a running list of terrible names like Jewelry, Africanique...WTH?!?!

My friend is a kindergarten teacher and she told me some of the names of the kids in her class and I was dumbfounded

Twins name: Orangejello (Or-ran-Jay-Lo) Yellowjello (Ya-Lan-Jay-Lo)
    and the topper (I not even sure MFP will let me type this) A s s h o l e (accent on the e, can't figure out how to type that accent mark) so it's prounounced (*kitten*- o- LAY)

I wish I was joking.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

My friend is a kindergarten teacher and she told me some of the names of the kids in her class and I was dumbfounded

Twins name: Orangejello (Or-ran-Jay-Lo) Yellowjello (Ya-Lan-Jay-Lo)
    and the topper (I not even sure MFP will let me type this) A s s h o l e (accent on the e, can't figure out how to type that accent mark) so it's prounounced (*kitten*- o- LAY)

I wish I was joking.

I'm willing to bet the jello parents were high when picking names and that's what they were munching out on.
  • JohnFlevarakis
    Options
    If I had a son we were gunna name him Colton Marshall, but we had my daughter and named her Alyssa Grace( pic on profile of her)!
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    If I had a son we were gunna name him Colton Marshall, but we had my daughter and named her Alyssa Grace( pic on profile of her)!

I love both of those names.
  • LauraS916
    LauraS916 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I named my daughter Analise Renee and it took me a long time to come up with her name :) my In-laws didnt like the name but I dont care thats the name I loved :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Speaking as the mother of a "Megan," most girls like to have a somewhat unique name. Meg would love to have a more exotic name, one that not everyone in our area has. Just remember that your little girl is going to someday be a woman, and she's going to want a fantastic name. Think about names that you, personally, would enjoy having.

If I had another little girl, I would call her Nikita. I also love Molly, just because it's so cute.
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When I was an exchange student in Florida - so well before i moved here - there was a girl in my High School who was named - wait for it -

Bonnie Anne Clyde

Gotta love parents that are high when giving the name for their child...
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    sorry I dont like this name at all, but it is your child not mine
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    my last name is knopf pronounced NOFF we always joke that we should have named our son jack or our daughter jackie, but i wouldnt really do that to my kid. I hope my sons dont decide to LOL
  • InvictusPhoenix
    Options
    Be careful, Baruka become beluga (like whale) wayyy to easily
    When picking out names, you've got to think of every nasty nickname that people could use. If you find a name with little to no rhymes/taunts, pick that one
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Isn't Baruka the whiny little brat's name from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I like Andrew Jacob, my boyfriends little boy is Andrew James =) For a girl I love Olivia Yvonne...