Not enough carbs?

Options
13»

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Low carbs doesn't mean to cut all kinds of carbs. It means, cut out the processed food, the refined carbs like flour and white bread, but eat your veggies!!!!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    None of this is new to me. I've actually been doing "train low, race high" for the past 6 weeks. My whole opinion on carbs is that they are most effective when planned around exercise. I definitely don't subscribe to the idea that everyone needs 50% or more of their diet to be in the form of carbs. Even endurance athletes who aren't Kenyan of course.

Why would you need carbs around a workout if your body can run just fine on fat?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Low carbs doesn't mean to cut all kinds of carbs. It means, cut out the processed food, the refined carbs like flour and white bread, but eat your veggies!!!!!!

Good point. It is good to sometimes remind everybody that low carb isn't no carb. I feel like that message is forgotten at times.
  • grinch031
    Options
    None of this is new to me. I've actually been doing "train low, race high" for the past 6 weeks. My whole opinion on carbs is that they are most effective when planned around exercise. I definitely don't subscribe to the idea that everyone needs 50% or more of their diet to be in the form of carbs. Even endurance athletes who aren't Kenyan of course.

Why would you need carbs around a workout if your body can run just fine on fat?

Because it doesn't run on 100% fat. It still needs glucose, and it will come from protein if not available in glycogen. Plus carbs aid in the recovery process.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    all week I've been focusing on protien and trying to limit carbs but yesterday after my egg and cheese breakfast i felt like crap all day. achy, tired etc. So today i had half a glass of chocolate milk with my eggs and cheese and feel tons better, even on 4.5 hrs sleep thanks to a sick coughing wife. Could my lethergy yesterday have come from a lack of carbs in the am???

Have you considered that it may have nothing to do with carbs and the fact that your wife is sick? You may be coming down with something..
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Good point. It is good to sometimes remind everybody that low carb isn't no carb. I feel like that message is forgotten at times.

Thank you grinch! When people talk about carbs, it seems they often put all carbs in the same boat like if a cupcake is the same as a broccoli.
  • Acg67
    Options

Because it doesn't run on 100% fat. It still needs glucose, and it will come from protein if not available in glycogen. Plus carbs aid in the recovery process.

So are you saying your performance and/or recovery would suffer if you didn't target crabs around your workout?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

So are you saying your performance and/or recovery would suffer if you didn't target crabs around your workout?

How does fat restore glycogen levels? ALL low carb plans require a carb load or refeed at some point.
  • grinch031
    Options

I'm trying to keep pretty low carb, so if I eat them at a random time, they'll be depleted when they are most beneficial to me. I really don't know enough to make that judgement. I'm trying this as an experiment because I was frustrated with my previous approach to improving my marathon time and maintaining my weight via a very high carb diet.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I'm trying to keep pretty low carb, so if I eat them at a random time, they'll be depleted when they are most beneficial to me. I really don't know enough to make that judgement. I'm trying this as an experiment because I was frustrated with my previous approach to improving my marathon time and maintaining my weight via a very high carb diet.

There is nothing wrong with experimentation. I am going to do something similar. Check out the reading by Lyle McDonald. You may find his work interesting.
  • Acg67
    Options

"Fat adaptation" for athletic performance: the nail in the coffin?
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/100/1/7.full
  • grinch031
    Options

There is nothing wrong with experimentation. I am going to do something similar. Check out the reading by Lyle McDonald. You may find his work interesting.

Yeah I know, I posted a link to one of his articles. I also read some of Stephen Phinney's work a while ago as well.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options

Why not try something down the middle, why people think they need to go extreme is confounding. My carb consumption is around 200g's if i'm not going nuts exercising, but when I play hockey twice a week or going to the gym i'm doubling that on those days. i consider mysef a low carber, simply because it is the smallest nutrient i consume most days and the macro# would be considered lower carb. Very low doesn't make much sense to me, but it might if I was a couch potato.
  • grinch031
    Options

Why not try something down the middle, why people think they need to go extreme is confounding. My carb consumption is around 200g's if i'm not going nuts exercising, but when I play hockey twice a week or going to the gym i'm doubling that on those days. i consider mysef a low carber, simply because it is the smallest nutrient i consume most days and the macro# would be considered lower carb. Very low doesn't make much sense to me, but it might if I was a couch potato.

Because I can't stop eating. Doesn't matter if its because of insulin or simply the satiating effect of protein, what I do know is what I'm doing right now has so far worked pretty well for me both in the weight room, running, and with energy levels in general.
  • grinch031
    Options

"Fat adaptation" for athletic performance: the nail in the coffin?
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/100/1/7.full

Yeah I saw that already. Don't know how definitive this is and whether it applies to me since they were talking about "well-trained cyclists". My performance was less than optimal already even when I was a sugar-burner.