Do I get to eat the calories today that I didnt burn yesterd

Options
For example...If my calorie goal is 2000 calories/day and I only eat 1700 calories today, do I get 2300 tomorrow for the same results?

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Nah
  • lisaslim1976
    Options
    ah crap...i was wondering the same thing!:sad:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you talk to. Some say yes, some say no.

Weight watchers allow you to save points for a cheat day so they'd be on the yes side.

I go with if you're hungry eat them, if you're not don't. If you don't and you're hungry tomorrow eat them tomorrow.

Bottom line is you have to do what works for you.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. No rollover calories lol. If you eat all your calories and are still hungry try and munch on some veggies and drink more water. Otherwise you could off set your progress and result in a gain.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think that method works, others do. Its not too bad of a idea I suppose now and then if you know a party or something is coming up and you'll overindulge. I wouldn't use it as an everyday method though X
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I do this. If I know I have a day where I am going out or am going to have a higher calorie meal I save through the week and have the high calorie meal without going over for the week.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    your body works more on a week to week basis, rather then a day to day basis. i know that personally, i'm not always hungry the day off a big work out, but the next day i might be. so i'm not going to worry if i'm over.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    For example...If my calorie goal is 2000 calories/day and I only eat 1700 calories today, do I get 2300 tomorrow for the same results?
    No, take it day by day and eat to goal daily.
    Progress is stifled otherwise, but for 300 calories?
    Go for it!.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I follow weekly calorie balances not daily. I usually eat 100-200 less M through Thurs and eat 100-200 more on the weekends. I just make sure my weekly daily average is +/- 100 of my goals.

So yes it'll work.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Me too!
  • BevsCalerieCount
    BevsCalerieCount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are looking strictly at a dalily goal I would say no. However, if you are looking at a weekly goal and you are allotted 14,000 per week to lose your weekly goal, say 1 pound per week, as long as you are under the 14,000 you should attain your weekly goal. Hope that makes sense.:huh:
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    Technically it's about overall calories in order to lose weight. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound. Meaning if you have 2000 as you set goal, and you only ate 1700, you will lose weight faster unless you make up for those 300 calories and eat more today. You can eat more some days and then less others, and many people will argue that it is actually better to "zig zag" (never eating the same calories day after day but rather keeping a medium amount of calories when you average out your calories for the week). Personally I don't "make up" calories when I am below my set goal, but I also don't freak out if I go over. Some days I will at as little as 1200 calories and another day 1800 (1500 is my set goal per day).

Remember that calories don't reset every day...so if you do eat more or less from day to day it's not going to be a huge deal. The important pasrt is making sure you eat quality food, that you never go below 1200 calories in about a 24 hour period time (because you body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will slow down) and that in order to lose weight you need a calorie deficit.
  • BrePardy
    Options
    I think the issue with this is that when u DON'T eat the amount ur supposed to ur body thinks that it's starving and because of that when u eat the excess the next day ur body is going to store most if not all away as fat...so if u use it as a long term thing then I think it would result in gaining instead of losing...I think if u know ur going to overindulge then trying make it up after the fact would be better then saving before hand. Like if u eat 4000 calories one day because u went to a party and ate more snacks then u thought u would when ur normal daily calorie count is 2000 well then in the next couple days cut back to maybe 1500 or 1000 until u make up the difference! My opinion!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I would also like to add that if you're doing really well and are hungry one particular day more than usual going over 2-300 really isn't bad.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    Oh my gosh people! Please stop! This isn't about being in a certain calorie count every day for the rest of your life. This is about being healthy for the rest of your life. If you are just here to lose weight and not learn anything along the way. You will gain it all back and then some.

It is about balance. So, OP asked if she has a certain amount of calories one day that aren't eaten...can she eat more the next day? The question could be re phrased as....If I am really good and only eat x amount of calories on Monday...can I have something the next day that I normally wouldn't eat? Or...can I cheat? Or...whatever. IMO...if you are learning a healthy lifestyle, you can eat WHATEVER you want!

Ideally we want to stay in a certain calorie range because it still comes down to calories in...calories out. So, to logically answer OP. If your calorie allotment is 1700 and you only eat 1300 on Monday...can you eat 2300 on Tuesday? Are you hungary? Then eat it! Will you lose more weight if you don't...not likely. Why not? Because that 300 calories isn't going to make or break you!

If you are truly learning HEALTHY EATING HABITS you will eventually lose weight! Or maintain....or live longer cause you are healthier anyway! Learn the basics...what is good for you and what should be eaten in moderation.

I'm sorry for this rant....I've been fat all my life and have nearly lost 100 lbs. Not one day of that journey has been about eat this and never touch that. It has been about balance and learning what is good for MY body.

To OP...best of luck to you! I hope you realize this was about showing you that ...you are in control of your lifestyle. The fads are in control of the diets!
  • tammyw59
    tammyw59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers says yes. You can accumulate your excercise points during the week and use them anytime during that week. You just can't carry them to the next week.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think you may be able to look at this as Zig-Zagging your calories... google it... it might make more sense for you...
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I go by weekly total too. Some days Im not that hungry, other days I want to eat everything.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    YES! I roll my exercise calories into other days. For instance, once a week I get Chinese for lunch and every Saturday I get dinner and dessert out. I'm still losing 1- 1/2 lbs a week. Just don't roll them into the next week.
  • milkll13
    milkll13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have had this discussion with my friends on weight watchers...
    With Weight Watchers, fruits and veggies don’t count toward their points. With MFP, EVERYTHING counts even though MFP doesn’t take nutritional value into consideration with food logs.
    When I was in Iraq, we celebrated "Ice Cream Sunday". I, personally, enjoy the hell out of Ice Cream Sunday even now at home...
    I tend to stay within my calories for the day on average, but if I "need" an extra amount of calories on Sunday - and didn’t meet or exceed my calories during the week, what difference does it make?
    With that, I could eat 300 calories of Ice Cream or 300 calories of whole grain bread and the nutritional value is never taken into consideration.