Do you eat your execise calories?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Something I've always wondered...

For people who think it's wrong to eat the calories earned from exercise, why do you think MFP includes them?

And if MFP is wrong for including them, why would you continue to use a website that you feel is wrong or doesn't function properly?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    the site calculates your metabolic rate based on your day to day lifestyle,weight, and age. then you chose how many pounds you would like to lose per week. your calorie limit per day is based on zero exercise. by adding exercise you add calories you must intake in order for you to build muscle. by building muscle you are able burn more calories per hour. for every 5 lbs of muscle you burn 50 calories and hour at rest. not enough nutrition and too much exercise you will burn muscle and fat at the same time leaving you with skin and bones.
    Just to make sure that there isn't any confusion here, it's practically impossible to build muscle on a calorie deficit diet. While there are some exceptions, to build muscle you need a calorie surplus.
    The reason to eat the exercise calories is so you DON'T lose the lean muscle you already have. Under nourishing muscle will make the body do what it does best..........................preserve energy. One of the best ways it preserves energy is to "rid" itself of energy burning cells and that of course will be muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's a no brainer to eat the calories back. My daily intake allowance is 1300 calories a day. If I burn 300 calories running, and I don't refuel, that makes my daily intake 1000. Will I lose weight at that rate. Yeah. Will I be losing weight in an unhealthy manner. Yeah.
    The idea is to maintain a healthy reasonable calorie intake. That's all, nothing more. Mine is 1300. If I wanted to be at more of a deficit I wouldn't be using this site.

That said. I've noticed that this site often over estimates calories burned, sometimes by a lot. So I came up with my own system based on some research.
    Easy exercise: 50 calories every 10 minutes.
    Moderate: 80
    Vigorous: 100
    Very vigorous: 150
    Those estimates may be a little under, but it keeps me honest.
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just to make sure that there isn't any confusion here, it's practically impossible to build muscle on a calorie deficit diet. While there are some exceptions, to build muscle you need a calorie surplus.
    The reason to eat the exercise calories is so you DON'T lose the lean muscle you already have. Under nourishing muscle will make the body do what it does best..........................preserve energy. One of the best ways it preserves energy is to "rid" itself of energy burning cells and that of course will be muscle.

Well said.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I enjoy shoveling food into my mouth too, yep, that's the only reason that I work out, so I can just keep eating and eating and eating. Pass the bean dip please!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I enjoy shoveling food into my mouth too, yep, that's the only reason that I work out, so I can just keep eating and eating and eating. Pass the bean dip please!

HEHE! :flowerforyou:
  • AliciaLucas_72
    AliciaLucas_72 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When you work out and gain extra calories burned do you eat more food that day to keep your net calories the same or do you still eat your normal suggested caloric amount?

I tend to only eat my suggested caloric amount 1800 calories regardless of my calories burned exercising. I am getting used to eating small portions and don't really feel the need to eat more calories if I exercise that day!
    Under eating calories tends to lead to lean muscle loss, which leads to lower metabolic rate, which leads to having to eat less and exercising more to meet calorie burn.
    The body is smarter than people think. You can't fool it by eating less than it needs to ensure survival.

IDEA Fitness member

I would go with the adviced the professional giving. Also my personal rule is if I work out and I am hungry I eat within the calorie alottment if I'm not hungry I don't eat it back, that rarely happens I am always hungry...lol.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Just because some people don't eat their exercised calories back doesn't mean they are under eating. Its a "personal preference" and many have been successful at doing it that way. Myself included. I follow the advise of my wellness coach. And I have not lost lean mass. Their are many different healthy ways to "diet" and what works for one-doesn't work for all-
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    btw i just got a hrm and used it for the first time last night, did zumba for 60 minutes and hrm says i burned 667 calories vs mfp says i burned 1000- that's a HUGE difference

I am SOOOOO glad I bought a HRM. MFP says I burn way more calories doing an activity then I actually do. I also find that the lighter I get, the less calories I burn and that doesn't seem to be something MFP takes into calculation?

I also use an app when I run called, RUNKEEPER. It tells me everything I need to know about my runs. I found out, it too, usually, overestimates my calories burned. Not as bad as MFP does though.

I really believe that using a heart rate monitor makes it to where I can feel good about eating my calories back. I also have way more energy when I do. As I said before, I eat about 50-90% of my exercise calories back. Depends on how hungry I am.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Just because some people don't eat their exercised calories back doesn't mean they are under eating. Its a "personal preference" and many have been successful at doing it that way. Myself included. I follow the advise of my wellness coach. And I have not lost lean mass. Their are many different healthy ways to "diet" and what works for one-doesn't work for all-

There is a lot of science supporting the fact that eating more calories even if it means a bit slower of a weight loss is much better for your body in numerous ways. And a lot of science indicating that eating too low of calories has a negative impact on your body. That said, yes, it is personal preference on what level of caloric intake you choose.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I eat mine because I would be too hungry otherwise. In the last month I generally ate between 2800 to 3500 calories a day and have lost 6 pounds. I try to get close to my NET goal of 1870 daily and on my non exercise day usually go over.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    No, I wasn't and it plateaued me because I wasn't getting enough calories...It put my in starvation mode. It's best to eat at least some of them.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm hungry.
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    I tend to eat some of them back just for the energy,depends if my body is hungry.My calories are to be kept at 1770 per day but most of the time with workouts I'll pass that if Im hungry.Its working as Im losing 2 to 3 pounds a week on average.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Nope. The way i see it is, whats the point in burning them if you're just going to stuff them back in your mouth??? :huh:
  • jsnearly
    Options
    No way
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My whole point in burning them is so I can stuff more into my mouth! :laugh: I love eating, and if running a few miles means I don't have to limit what I eat, it's worth it!

But seriously.... My point in burning them is because it feels damn good and I know it's good for my body and mind. My point in eating the calories burned is to preserve my muscle mass, to give me more energy to perform even better, and to not train my body to survive on tiny amounts of food (ie, not trash my metabolism). If you gain weight if you go over 1200 calories a day... you've trashed your metabolism.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I shovel most of them back. That said, it doesn't mean I'm working out just so I can drink six beer or have chips every day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    For those that exercise vigorously (between 700-1000 calories a day) it DOESN'T make any sense not to eat your exercise calories back. The deficit would be too high. Like I stated earlier, there are going to be some adamant against a 500 calorie NET HCG diet, yet when they train hard and burn a lot and don't eat back those calories, they might as well just jump in the same boat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Sure do!