8 glasses of water a day?

Options
13»

Replies

• eradik
    eradik Posts: 11
    Options
    The following link is from a doctor that says the 8 x 8 is a myth created by the bottled water industry. Basically, drink if you are thirsty. Don't if you're not. I go by this advise, and I find I normally drink way over 8, but still. This 8 glasses a day needs to stop.

http://www.minnpost.com/healthblog/2011/07/13/29954/we_need_8_glasses_of_water_daily_nonsense_says_british_doctor

Quote: "Of course, if the weather is hot and humid and/or you’re exercising and you’re feeling thirsty, or if you have a medical condition that can cause dehydration, you should make sure you drink plenty of fluids."

It was published in a journal, but, as with all non-peer reviewed articles (in journals), I'm sure plenty will disagree.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    On days when I actually drink the full 64 oz., I have to take a piss every ten minutes or so. It's annoying. I drink when I'm thirsty and don't worry about the specifics...I usually get at least four or five glasses in, and that's plenty for me.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The following link is from a doctor that says the 8 x 8 is a myth created by the bottled water industry. Basically, drink if you are thirsty. Don't if you're not. I go by this advise, and I find I normally drink way over 8, but still. This 8 glasses a day needs to stop.

http://www.minnpost.com/healthblog/2011/07/13/29954/we_need_8_glasses_of_water_daily_nonsense_says_british_doctor

Quote: "Of course, if the weather is hot and humid and/or you’re exercising and you’re feeling thirsty, or if you have a medical condition that can cause dehydration, you should make sure you drink plenty of fluids."

It was published in a journal, but, as with all non-peer reviewed articles (in journals), I'm sure plenty will disagree.
    This. Too much water makes me feel sick.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Do we really need to drink that much? Really...really?

Only if you're thirsty. Drink when you are thirsty, stop when you aren't. It's simple.

Drinking more water than you need doesn't do anything positive for you, the body just eliminates, so it's just a waste.

Everything you drink hydrates you, and the food you eat hydrates, also. People just like to over complicate things.

This.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    On days when I actually drink the full 64 oz., I have to take a piss every ten minutes or so. It's annoying. I drink when I'm thirsty and don't worry about the specifics...I usually get at least four or five glasses in, and that's plenty for me.
    And this.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    You should try it and see how it makes you feel. I get a surge of energy when I hit the 9th or 10th glass of water so I think my body likes it.
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ok enough kidding aside. the recommendation is half your body weight in ounces per day that does not include water you drink from exercising. 8 glasses a day is old school back in the 70s
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Statement from Kidney Health Australia - a non for profit organisation promoting healthy kidneys. This may be of interest.

QUOTE: Kidney Health Australia Position Statement on Drinking Water

The desirable amount of water to drink each day has been promoted to the public in recent years to be 8 glasses each of 8oz (= 240 ml) each 24-hour period. This view had in the past been publicised by water authorities and bottled water manufacturers, with endorsement of this view by Kidney Health Australia.

However, after our Kidney Health Australia medical team conducted a critical review of the published literature on this topic, we found there is a distinct lack of evidence supporting this position.

As a result of this review in 2003, our Board of Directors adopted the following position in regard to water intake:

There is a lack of evidence that drinking water in excess of thirst is beneficial for the health of Australians living in temperate regions and not exercising strenuously.
    To satisfy thirst, water is the recommended fluid. Drinks containing sugar or caffeine or alcohol all may cause or worsen health related problems and should be avoided except in modest quantities.

The daily fluid intake needs are increased in:

All residents in tropical or hot climates
    Individuals practising strenuous exercise
    Certain medical conditions characterised by excess obligatory fluid loss
    Certain medical conditions requiring an increased urine flow

The daily fluid intake needs are decreased in most patients with:

End stage kidney failure
    Certain cardiac and respiratory conditions

From the kidney viewpoint, all fluids including those containing caffeine and alcohol, should count towards the daily fluid total.

Dr Timothy Mathew, Medical Director - Kidney Health Australia (Last reviewed June 2008)
    END OF QUOTE
    http://www.kidney.org.au/KidneyDisease/Drinkwaterinstead/tabid/703/Default.aspx
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You absolutely do not need that much water, unless you have kidney stones or something. You get plenty of water from the food you eat.
  • Darrknys
    Options
    8 glasses is really not that bad. I use a pint glass to get two glasses when I sit down in front of my computer, watch TV or eat dinner. When I surf I keep sipping and then next thing you know I'm grabbing for another glass. Or do what I do sometimes I will drink a glass before bed, which makes me wake up in the middle of the night, relieve and drink another glass... or drink when you think you are hungry, when u are thirsty, or before bed that might be fine too.
  • zuchy
    zuchy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Talking glasses is kind of approximate, you might want to mesure how many mls your standard glass at home is.
    You're good to go anywhere between 1.5 and 2 lt of water a day.