Fiber One bars/brownies = Bug Secretions! SERIOUSLY!

Options
I used to eat a Fiber One bar for the fiber and for my chocolate fix. HORRIBLY WRONG MOVE!

FYI: Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand
How many Corn syrups do you need?
How many chemicals?
You think processed foods are key for weight loss and good health?

FIBER ONE BAR...

Look at ingredients: Chicory root extract, chocolate chips with confectioners shellac (chocolate chips [Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Dextrose, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Ethanol, Shellac, Hydrogenated Coconut Oil]), Rolled Oats, Crispy Rice (Rice Flour, Sugar Malt, Salt), Barley Flakes, High Maltose Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Canola Oil, Honey, Glycerin, Maltodextrin, Palm Kernel Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Nonfat Milk, Peanut Oil, Cocoa Processed with Alkalin, Natural Flavor, Baking Soda, Color Added, Almond Flour, Sunflower Meal, Wheat Flour, Mixed Tocopherols Added to Retain Freshness.

7 different sugars including corn syrup!
Hydrogenated oil!
Palm kernel oil and Peanut oil (the worst of the oils)

1/2 serving Fiber One bar =

70 calories
2g fat (26% calories come from fat)
5 g sugar
5 g sugar alcohol (no nutritional use)
4.5g fiber
1g protein
5% Calcium, 1% Iron, no significant amounts of Vitamin A or C

1.5 serving of sugar snap peas (147g, about 12 peas) =

61.5 calories
0g fat
6g sugar
3.8g fiber
4.1g protein
6% Calcium, 16.5% Iron, 31.5% Vitamin A, 147% Vitamin C

NOTE: When you eat equal amounts of protein and carbs it prevent sugar highs and lows and gives you sustained energy.

One day, long ago, I was having a conversation with my friend about losing weight. She had a friend (a model) who told her that no matter what she ate, eat a cup of vegetables beforehand. I thought, "cup of vegetables and chocolate don't really go together."

Well, last week I lost just 1 lb. Yes, I still lost weight, but I have a goal and 1 lb a week is not it.

So...

I decided to eat vegetables when I was craving something sweet (slightly cooked sugar snap peas definitely hit the spot)

I decided to eat vegetables when I was craving something savory ( homemade non-fat tzatziki sauce blended with raw spinach and 5 almonds is low cal, nutritionally balance and yummy smoothie)

When I wanted something sweet and savory: slightly cooked baby carrots tossed with Balsamic vinegar.

The food combo may not sound appealing to you, but choosing vegetables worked and I am back on target.

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING... "Girl, sugar snap peas are nothing like some good chocolate." You are right.

However, the sugar snap peas fill me up and chocolate only has me craving more food, namely chocolate :-)

After eating 1.5 serving of sugar snap peas, I do want chocolate, but the
71 calories in the sugar snap peas,
made of 4.5g fiber,
4.5g protein and
6g sugar
filled me up!
I had no room for chocolate!
I am also NOT HUNGRY for hours!
I felt great and I wasn't loaded with chemicals.

To be fit is learning to be good to your body. The easy way out is not a successful road to a healthier and fit you.

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Natural Red #4 is made from ground up beetles: Carmine (play /ˈkɑrmɪn/ or /ˈkɑrmaɪn/), also called Crimson Lake, Cochineal, Natural Red #4[citation needed], C.I. 75470, or E120, is a pigment of a bright-red color obtained from the aluminum salt of carminic acid, which is produced by some scale insects, such as the cochineal scale and the Polish cochineal,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine

So, yeah...red Kool Aid really is 'bug juice'. Lots of our 'natural food' products/ingredients are made from weird things. I try to not think about it, but also try to eat as clean as possible.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Gross, I used to eat those things all the time. Now I find them too sweet. I'll settle for a small piece of really high quality chocolate.
  • Mnata
    Mnata Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on wanting to minimize artificial sweeteners and oils, but I just go for a good quality chocolate bar instead of a candy bar. Jut today, I had 3 sections of a Dove dark chocolate bar (not the best, but not bad and on hand). Around 100 calories, which fit into my snack allowance for the day, and took care of that chocolate craving from all the Valentine's commercials. Since it was decent chocolate, and the dark stuff too, the three squares were exactly what I wanted and I stopped without eating the whole bar.

As for the bug bits, it's all animal parts. Heck, quite a bit of red food dye is made from beetle shells. They put it through so many chemical processes to purify it though, there's no problem other than the psychological.
  • chaubner008
    chaubner008 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i am constantly trying to tell ppl how crappy that stuff is for your body! all of those "lo cal convenience packs" 100 cal snacks are the worst offenders! Filled with garbage, HFCS, trans fat and more chemicals than under the kitchen sink!!! I kind of feel like ppl who are not really serious about their weight loss efforts are the ones who are buying into that crap...It frustrates me to see ppl choose them, or worse, when ppl hear about my weight loss success and start telling me about their efforts for weight loss and that they are getting more fiber...with fiber one. They don't even realize how truly counter effective to their health efforts these products are. It is synthetic, fake and they are playing us. it ticks me off that ppl are falling for this crap, thank you for pointing it out.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i eat these snacks and other processed food snacks like special k bars and pepperidge farm cracker chips. I will have maybe one a day and i don't think its going to kill me. i used to eat 5 little debbie fudge rounds and a sleeve of oreos in one sitting so one small fiber one bar is quite an improvement. Of course if all we ate were vegetables we would have a smoother running body but sometimes convenience wins and i still feel good about myself because i stayed in my calorie goal.

Fiber one cereal is also one of my most favorite snacks. a bowl with cut up strawberries on top and some almond milk. Can't top it!
  • dictations
    Options
    Well, those bug secretions taste absolutely delish. I swear, all I can taste in those bars are the chocolate.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You eat chemicals every day. What do you think food is made of? Yes, an apple is made of chemicals. If it wasn't, it wouldn't exist.

Whatever happened to "everything in moderation"?

Regarding concerns about bugs, how many little fruit flies and mites and such do you think you've probably eaten in your life but didn't realize?
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Well... then I guess I like bug secretions. :) Can't be any worse than the other foods we eat.
  • crazylikefox
    Options
    Honey has bee spit. It's true.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Ever eat a shiny apple?
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    Fiber one brownie or sugar snap peas? Sorry I'd still choose the brownie when I'm craving something sweet. Veggies don't do it for me as a snack! It's not the best granted, but definitely a better option to the gorges of oreos, reeces, cheesecake brownies I was eating. Everything in moderation is how I try to live my life.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Honey has bee spit. It's true.

I believe it is actually bee vomit.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Peas are great....unless you are jonsing for a chocolate peanut butter brownie. Then I don't care what is in it, I'm eating the damn brownie

Besides...flies poop on peas. It's true
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of vegetables and fruits and lean proteins but sometimes I still eat those fiber one brownies and they are delicious
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Peas are great....unless you are jonsing for a chocolate peanut butter brownie. Then I don't care what is in it, I'm eating the damn brownie

are there peanut butter brownie flavored peas? that would be awesome!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

If you invent one, I will give you all my money!!!
  • tsh0ck
    Options

If you invent one, I will give you all my money!!!

is it ok if it has bug juice? I've read it tastes awesome.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well, bugs ARE protein, right?
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Well, bugs ARE protein, right?

oooo! that means it will be like greek yogurt, 2x protein! this is getting better!