Transition clothes: are they worth it?

Options
Ilisidi
Ilisidi Posts: 43 Member
Clothes...what you doing? I am receiving suggestions that it is time to buy a new wardrobe, but I still have at least 35lbs to go (79lbs gone). How do you manage the transition? Is it worth spending money on clothes that will last a few months (fingers crossed) or should I save my money?

Replies

• cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I buy a few pieces from thrift stores or if I find really good sales but I wouldn't invest in a whole new wardrobe.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Buy them...find them on sale. Even if it's two new items. It's important to help you experience your "new self."

I just went shopping this a.m. I probably should save the money for something else, but I found several things on sale and I'm really excited. I've kept off 31 lbs but am still walking around in clothes that are too baggy. It's not flattering.

My plans are to lose even more weight (between 80-100), so I'm going to be doing this a few more times. But if I don't I'll be wearing my "fat" clothes.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    you probably have a couple of options-
    1. wear your baggy clothes as long as they stay up!
    2. charity shops
    3. lend clothes from family/friends
    4. spend money on clothes and then sell them on once you no longer fit them!!
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It would be smart to buy clothes from a goodwill or thrift store for now. That way you won't have wasted tons of money when they no longer fit. You could also borrow clothes from friends who are a similar size. I'd say it's better to follow the above suggestions than to walk around in clothes that are ludicrously baggy.
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    I have been wondering about the same thing - when to buy new clothes? I think I will check the thrift stores and just get pants & shorts as i need them. I like to wear baggy t-shirts, so what i have should work for a while.
    I also have a great friend that took in my favorite jeans for me! However, they will probably be too big in another month.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The big thing I needed was pants during my transistion period...namely jeans. I used this time to buy second hand. I like Platos Closet (Not sure if it is JUST a MO thing or not). They buy back clothes and sell clothes all that are pretty new and pretty named brand. I was buying nice almost new jeans around 10-15 bucks. Most my shirts were already tight so the transition period they actually fit!
  • Stephisonaroll
    Options
    I totally think that it's worth is to buy new (or new to you) clothes during your weight loss..you will feel great in your new size and it will help keep you motivated to continue on to your goal. I was 194lbs when I started and got some new clothes at about 170lbs. Once you get into a new pair of pants (or whatever it may be for you) you will really notice what a change you've made..and you might be suprised at the new size you are :) If you don't want to spend a load of $$ on clothes that you hope will be too big in the future just go by goodwill or some thirft shops, heck even walmart has stuff for cheap.
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    FIrst -- YES it's worth it!! You will feel better about your progress - and look better too.
    Second -- one word -- GOODWILL!!!! Get rid of your old clothes and get yourself new ones at the same time!!! And all the $$ you save buying your "interim" clothes can be saved to splurge on a shopping spree for when you reach goal!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thrift stores are your friend... I've changed pant sizes 3 times through this journey (realized it's every 2" not every 1" typically)
    value village, salvation army, second hand shops in town....

sometimes brand name products still with the tags on for $3 instead of $60+

I'm buying my "transition" stuff there to keep it looking half decent but when I get to my goal weight you bet I'm purging the closets of all but some fav's and getting "NEW" stuff not just new to me.
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have the same problem. Everyone tells me my clothes are too baggy but I hate to spend money on new clothes till I lose more,
    Daughter suggests I go to Good Will a second hand store :o)
  • tawnajean
    Options
    I say buy a few things that make you feel fabulous to wear right now. It will show off how far you've come and encourage you to keep going! And awesome job on the 79 lbs gone,btw!
  • bennyhusband
    Options
    Thrift stores! Trust me, you need to buy new clothes because lets be honest your old clothes make you feel frumpy and fat, mine did any how (I've lost 100 lbs). I had to fold my pants over, punch new holes in my belt, but a new belt. And half the clothes I bough a few months ago, dont fit me any more. Go to a thrift store, spend a decent amount of time it will save you money and frustration cause once you got that new bod your gonna wanna accentuate it. For women it seems to be worse. My girlfriends heels dont even fit her anymore. Not a terrible problem to have all and all though right. Congrats on the accomplishments.
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I only buy a piece here and there and I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I buy clothes that are one size too small. It motivates me more to lose the weight faster.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you have daily access to a washer/dryer, buy a few basic pieces that can be easily mixed and matched. If you wash every day, you don't need that much. Check out second-hand stores or shop good sales.

I am losing about a pound a week, so at that rate, I figure I will be seeing a size change every 3 - 4 months. That's certainly not worth the time and money to buy a whole new wardrobe in each size all the way down. But, a couple of well-fitted jeans, five tops, and an oversized hoodie or two can get me through most days. Work clothes make things more complicated, but I would go for things that might start off tight, and then need a belt when looser.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    YES to thrift shops! Not only do I score next to new clothing at times but also name brands. In fact, I was just at the Salvation Army thrift/family store this morning after my workout and they were having a clothing sale . . all clothing 99 cents!! AND I also managed to score myself a brand new Polar HRM with strap (in the box) for 4.99. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw it.

Thrift shops are definitely the way to go!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I thought it was worth it. I like to feel good about how I look no matter what weight I'm at. Walking around with my pants hanging off my a** or swimming in my shirt wasn't doing it for me. I didn't go crazy, but I had enough to make it through the week.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I hate to spend the money; however, it depends on your individual situation. Knit fabrics or other soft fabrics in pants with either a draw string or something you can wear a belt with (I think) are the best transition pieces you can buy. They can cover a wide range of sizes. Another trick that I do that I don't always recommend is if I have to buy an item, like a sports bra or pants--I will go ahead and buy it a little tight if I know I'm going to lose the weight. I don't always recommend this because I don't recommend wearing the wrong size for anyone, but it's my cheater way of buying expensive items that are form fitting.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wearing properly fitting clothes will help you see the changes you have made! 2 pairs of pants, 5-7 different shirts, maybe a jacket or cardigan. It is soooooo worth it! It feels so good to wear well fitting clothing.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like VergingonVegan's idea... I apply it when I travel anyway, instead of a suitcase just for all the different outfits for a week a pair of pants in the bag and the ones I'm wearing for the trip... 4 or 5 different shirts.... a sweater for any cold evenings... leaves me half or more of the old suitcase to use for souveniers etc. I love checking out second hand shops when I travel as each area has their own "surplus" of items stuff that you may not be able to find find 'at all' at home is in every other shop in the new area.

with a couple pairs of pants and the different tops you've got more than enough possible combos to "not wear the same thing" in combination on a week long trip... could do more of this at home too.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you've lost a drastic amount of weight....(to me this is like 60lbs or so) I think it's worth the investment to have a properly tailored wardrobe. Maybe not an ENTIRE wardrobe but if you're wearing business casual to work, hit up a mens warehouse or something and have some clothes tailored to your body. Slacks / sport coat, pants which are tailored to you and a shirt that properly tapers from shoulders to waist. If you're on your last notch in your belt, put the leatherman away and get a new belt. If you're seriously in transition, get one that's slightly smaller than you'd normally buy which you can shrink into.