Transition clothes: are they worth it?

Options

Replies

• SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I hit my local consignment shop and focus on what is on sale. When I am finished with them I either take them to a local charity or to another consignment shop for resale.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yes! You have to live your life for who you are and who you are becoming. You can be strategic about it. Thrift shops and clearance racks are a great place to start. I took a look at my clothes and decided which sizes I needed to retire and what gaps that left in my wardrobe. I went to Ross, Marshalls, Target, Thrift Stores and bargain shopped looking to replace what I needed first. I also started wearing a belt with those borderline pants. The nice thing about tops and dresses for me is that I have a little more flexibility with sizes I already own.

If you have a few girlfriends locally, schedule a clothes swap. Bring clothes, accessories, house stuff, things for the kids and spouse, a bottle of wine and a dish of food. Make an event of it. Set it up like a store. Have fun. Donate what isn't taken to a charity or save it for a garage sale. Me and my girlfriends used to do this and it was so much fun. When I moved I didn't have enough friends to schedule something like this but I think it is time to get one of these on the calendar again.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I'm picking up a few things from the "clearance" racks and shopping for a few items from thrift stores. I'm not willing to spend alot of money on clothing until I reach my goal. But I enjoy the emotional boost wearing smaller sizes gives me.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just realized that you are a man :embarassed:

The clothes swap is still a good idea though :flowerforyou:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    When your old clothes look sloppy and make you feel unattractive, you deserve to show off your progress with some new ones! But I agree with the others to "shop smart". I'm a sucker for Macy's and usually shun Target, Kohl's, etc. But be open minded and you can find some great deals for some basic pieces. If you still have quite a bit to lose, then buy tighter than you might normally buy as soon enough they will loosen up on you. Also just one good pair of jeans can carry you through and you can wear your sloppy jeans around the house, taking walks whatever. Think of transiitions of the seasons, too. Stretchy tops were my most forgiving and the pants of course the least forgiving. Just getting one or two new things will really perk you up and make you feel great. My stretchy size 10 levi's carried me through to size 6 if I didn't wear them too long before washings and pulled out a fresh pair from the dryer when I wanted to look "good". I'm still "waiting" for the last few pounds, though to really start buying my new jeans and pants. Just shop around at different places, and perhaps places like Good Will and thrift shops that you might not normally look and you can find some greaat deals. I was fortunate to find my favorite cocktail dress ($23 instead of $150!) - profile picture- at Macys when I had a coupon and everything was on sale that day! Some days you can really score! Have fun!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores and outlet stores. Before I got pregnant I had my clothes that still "fit" but were big on me, so I bought a pair of jeans and a couple shirts in the smaller size. I refuse to spend much money,when I still intended on losing so much weight!
  • angraham2
    Options
    I get my "in between" cloths from thrift stores like St. Vincent, Good Will and our Hospice Thrift. Otherwise, Ross Dress For Less has some very reasonable choices. You need to feel good about yourself! While most of my closet is filled with second hand stuff, I do like to have a new outfit that fits right once and a while.
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You need to buy new clothes! I just learned this the hard way on Tuesday. A good friend took me to buy new jeans because she was sick of seeing me pull my pants up all the time. I walked into the store wearing a size 12 and walked out with a size 6! I thought it would be a waste of money but I feel so great putting on the new jeans that I have even more motivation to finish loosing all my weight. It's a great feeling and so worth the little bit of cash to buy some basics. Keep up the good work and go buy some skinny clothes!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is unprofessional and unattractive to wear ill-fitting clothing. That doesn't mean you need to spend a ton of money because you aren't buying garmets that really need to last. Buy a few inexpensive pairs of pants, a few inexpensive shirts, etc.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes - youbwill feel and look so much better in "new" well fitting clothes - it is a huge morale booster during your journey.....

As others said - thrift stores, and you only need a few well fitting peces to keep you till you get to the next size......
  • KristyGirl8
    KristyGirl8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to always look your best, and if you feel sloppy that's not going to keep you in a positive state of mind. You always need at least 1 pair of dark stretch jeans that fit you.... Leggings always fit, if you go up 10 lbs or down 10 lbs... If you have a great jacket and great shoes, then you don't need too many things besides jeans and t's. Invest in great accessories while you're losing until you get to your goal, and resist buying expensive clothes for now... save that for a treat when you get to your goal and stay there for a few months.
  • siwelh
    siwelh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You really should buy a few pieces. I have been buying mostly black, simple pieces, so people don't really notice that I am wearing the same things over and over :). You will be shocked how much better you feel and what nice comments you will get when you are in clothes that actually fit. Congrats, btw!
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just bought 2 pairs of jeans when I dropped down a size. Now those are starting to get loose, but I can't exactly walk around sans pants. $40 each is not going to break the bank. Of course when I have reached my goal weight I probably won't be able to wear any of my shirts.

I'm just glad I work biz-casual because if I had to go out and buy slacks and suits every 20-30lbs, that would get expensive.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I say buy a few things that make you feel fabulous to wear right now. It will show off how far you've come and encourage you to keep going! And awesome job on the 79 lbs gone,btw!

I did this and I don't regret it. The fact that I bought some really cute clothes that are now too big for me doesn't bother me because it made me feel great, took any stress away from the pressure that I HAD to continue losing and I got so many compliments and positive feedback that it really helped getting those final pounds off. For me, it was money well spent.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of new to you clothes for sure. You should get to see the new you and show the new you off. And how better to do that than clothes that fit. It can be a great inspiration to push that much harder and get to that healthy weight you are seeking. We all need rewards for a job well done and you have done well so far.
    I wouldnt get a whole new wardrobe but a few key pieces would be great for you in your transition phase,,.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I needed to keep my clothing presentable because of my job, so big, falling off me, 4 sizes too big pants and shirts weren't an option.

The Kohl's discount racks became my friends throughout my weight loss. Nice shirts for the $8-$10 range. Pants in the $20 range.

Jeans and work pants were, admittedly, a little more of a challenge, but Old Navy and American Eagle actually have decent prices, especially if you can find a sale at either store.

EDIT: Just realized you're in England, so Kohl's, Old Navy and American Eagle probably don't help much. But the gist is the same. If you need to keep your appearance up for your job, and you can find them cheap, spend the money. You're worth it and you'll feel alot better.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I get a few "new" outfits every time I go down a size. Only from Goodwill though. :)
  • Ilisidi
    Ilisidi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow - thank you everyone, for your suggestions and the congratulations it is really great to hear them :-)

I am taking two big points from this: 1) thrift stores and sales are the way to go; and 2) needing to having "new to me" clothes is something to be proud of and something that I should use to motivate me - ie not just focus on the $$$ cost. Once again thank you all.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Would you happen to have a thrift department store called "Savers" in your area? They have saved me! They have a Monday sale where everything with a certain colored tag is $1.

I also shop at Goodwill and the sale racks at Target. I know I won't be at a size for more than a month or so, so I don't want to and can't spend much, but looking dumpy and ridiculous is bad for my motivation too.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Two words: Old Navy