Overeating-Discouraged

Options
I've been doing OKAY with my calories, but last night binged hard on poptarts and doritos. What was shocking is that I KNEW I would have to log the calories, so I actually had some self-restraint, but still found when I logged things in this morning (OMG, it was so tempting to underestimate it and lie to myself) that I ate 3300 calories yesterday, 1800 of them in the evening in fron tof the TV. It really shocked me. How much was I eating before I logged food?? 4, 5, 6000 calories a day? I'm really surprised that I wasn't bigger when I started out, if that's the case. Really disappointed, really discouraged, but I got up this morning and did my 1 hour of cardio. Trying to just move on, but I can't believe I ate more than half a pound back last night.

Replies

• oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! We ALL have those nights (I have more than I'd like to admit). Look at the positives here - you showed more restraint than before....you actually tracked your binge so you can hopefully improve...and you have identified some triggers (can we say mindless TV eating?!?!?)

Don't dwell on the binge, move forward! Get in some good exercise, get back to eating good, drink a lot of water, and you'll be just fine!
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Binges do happen. There have been a few posts about them with helpful comments on how to manage. One, around Americas superbowl time, said if your going to binge, do it within one hour. This was to do with how the binge food is processed in the body and the chemicals that are released.

You should be really proud of yourself for limiting yourself a bit and especially for logging everything. I agree with oumick03 -

"Don't dwell on the binge, move forward! Get in some good exercise, get back to eating good, drink a lot of water, and you'll be just fine!"

good luck
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Binges.....I liken them to this.
    If you have a flat tire, what are you going to do....get out of your car and slash the other 3 tires too?
    No! You are going to fix your flat and keep driving. SO FIX IT and KEEP DRIVING!!
    You can do it!
    Lisa from Cali
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement- it's just hard to work so hard and it's scary how fast I can blow it. I swear I could feel the Doritos in my bloodstream this morning at the gym! LOL

12481588.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Same with me, last night - but it was kind of a conscious choice. Friday is my weigh-in day, then I usually have a meal I look forward to, and last night, I added in Sour Cream n Onion Ruffles. Yum. But it was not yum the almost 700 calories I ate for just the chips! I knew it was going to be bad, but to see the numbers in the cold light of day it's certainly horrible. Did not regret the thai food, but probably will not do chips again for a long while. It was a craving and I gave in. Usually eat popcorn or fruit in front of the TV.

Just remember that today is a new day - you can do it - and drink lots of water to counteract all the sodium! :)

Don't get discouraged - this is a lifestyle change, and sometimes it veers off a little, which is ok, as long as you get back on track. :)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    The important thing is that you still logged it. That you logged honestly & didn't lie to yourself. You can't be 'on' everyday. You will get frustrated, feel denied & quit. You thought about the fact that you would have to log. That shows your lifestyle change is working you can't do it perfectly all the time, you are human after all.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    If you can start to wean yourself off of white flour, refined grains, and sugar you will find there is a whole other world out there waiting for you where you are in control of food. Give it a try! I found no peace in my world until I got rid of those things from my diet. They really were the key and made all of the difference between yet another failure and success.
    Best of luck to you = D
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you about the bright side of this
    - you logged it
    - you're aware of the calories
    - you're already back on the wagon today, hitting the gym

:smile:

Overeating or binges may happen from time to time. After all, we're human. No reason to beat yourself up about it. Over the long term you will still succeed. One piece of advice I will give is try to plan the whole day ahead of time, including some late night snacks. Feel free to fill in every last calorie with food. When you see the whole day laid out in front of you, it's easy to make tweaks and come up with a very viable menu for the day.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    On the bright side, I logged 436 minutes of exercise in the last week! Just checked and that makes me feel fantastic! I go to the gym and sweat bullets almost every day now, so that has to count for something :)
    Thanks for the kind words, I was sort of afraid people would pile on and crap all over me!

12481588.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Must have been something in the air last night... LOL For me it was cheese and crab dip at a party we went to. Today is a new day! Move on, and look at this as a real eye-opening lesson about how you were eating before and how far you have come!!!

@livinlife2012, It would be nice if you would PLEASE stop advertising Body by Vi all over the forum and trying to disguise it as diet advice. :grumble: Most of us know that distributors are just trying to sell more so you can get your own products for free.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    mmmm dorrito'd blood stream!

*Does the home simpson drooling*

But yeah, we all ahve those days. It sjust a part of life. I just have a day set per week when I eat some not-so-healthy food because for me personally, if I dont do that, i would go crazy
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't get discouraged. I'm having an excessive "grazing" day today myself. Binge days happen. Just be sure it's only occasional. Eat right and exercise as many days during the week that you can and you won't undo all your hard work. Favorite saying on here is you won't get skinny by eating healthy for one day therefore you won't get fat by eating bad for one day. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. I tend to resent it when I tell myself I can't have what I want and then I binge worse. Go with the flow. Just keep working at it, logging is a BIG help, b/c it helps you see where the worst offenders are and then you can plan for less "damaging" binges. lol. Keep up your good work, you can do this!