Fructose leads to Metabolic Syndrome and is basically toxic

Options

Replies

• WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Fructose most certainly does spike insulin, so I'm going to go ahead and discount all the other alarmist stuff, as well. Also, fructose can and certainly is, converted by the body into glycogen by the liver, same as glucose.

Fructose is not evil. Sugar is not evil. Artificial sweeteners are not evil. Saturated fat is not evil. Dairy is not evil. No food is evil. Food is food.

Fructose does not spike insulin.

"Fructose, unlike glucose, does not stimulate insulin secretion from pancreatic ß cells. The lack of stimulation by fructose is likely due to the low concentrations of the fructose transporter GLUT5 in ß cells. Insulin is involved in the regulation of body adiposity via its actions in the central nervous system (CNS) to inhibit food intake and increase energy expenditure."

http://www.ajcn.org/content/76/5/911.long --- > free science.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Now I'm wondering how to get my sugar under control. I <3 fruits so I'm often wayyyy over on sugar for the day. Eek.

Anyone have a good grams/day of sugar that you try to stick to?

I love fruit too and would definitely go over on sugar for that reason if I didn't limit myself to fruit with a low glycemic index. Whether important for others or not, in a general sense, I don't know, but I have PCOS so it's something I have to watch. Anyway, cherries are good, blueberries, strawberries, grapefruit, apples (because the fiber makes up for the fructose)... don't have a grams/day but simply make sure that the fruit I do eat is low GI.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    While I certainly am interested in doing more reading on the information shared, I take issue with "basically toxic" in your title.
    In large enough quantities, anything is toxic, including WATER.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    If I cared, even a little, I would so watch the video. I am currently eating low carb, but it has nothing to do with fear mongering. Its because I'm learning to eat what foods make me feel good and stay away from the ones that give me a food hangover.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Thank you for this, I am going to watch it and hope that it answers some questions for me...
    I started making lifestyle changes on Dec. 1/11 and so far, am only 7lbs down. I eat right, exercise about 4x/week, drink enough water, sleep well...I just don't understand why the weight isn't moving faster. I have lost weight in the past, and it's NEVER been so slow, EVER.
    However, I have wondered if sugar is the culprit. While I do limit the amout of sugar I get (outside of fruit) I still go over on my sugar almost everyday. Starting this week, I'm going to try cutting out all sugar (save for fruit) and see what happens. While I don't go over by much, I still go over and am wondering if it's holding me back. I do eat more sugar now than in the past, due to a medication I'm on that makes me crave sweets. Before this medication, I rarely ate sweets and never craved them.
    Thanks again!

PS: Sorry for the double post, that was an accident!

Cool! I hope you find the video educational. You'll see in it that a NO-SUGAR motto is not what is suggested however. Don't get rid of it altogether! You still need carbohydrates as the main source of fuel in the body. I myself am thinking maybe I need to cut back on sugar as well. Like you, I've been trying really hard for a while now and stalled out. Almost everyone in my family has metabolic syndrome and/or Type II diabetes. Obviously, our lifestyle isn't working correctly. I don't have it yet, but I also exercise regularly and maybe that is helpful.

Good luck with your efforts! :)
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Pretty funny how many people though that will go SEE that's why I don't eat fruit *headdesk*

I hope not :(
    Oversimplification is dangerous (although so is overthinking, so maybe we're all better off ignorant?)
  • dawn0220
    Options
    Wow! Better tell Freelee, Durianrider they should be dead (www.30bananasaday.com)! And Dr. Douglas Graham who wrote 80/10/10. If you want to look at what we were most likely DESIGNED to eat it is probably a good idea to look at our closest relatives, apes. They eat mostly fruit plus green leafy plants and small amounts of insects, etc. They don't worry about where they will get their protein since they are solid muscle (just like cows and horses who do not consume protein bars, shakes, and meat). Kale is 50% protein based on calories. We are the only animals who cook our foods, as well. Makes you think. And no I am not a vegan hippy and do currently eat meat. As a registered nurse with a lot of knowledge about nutrition, I do not believe that is the way to vibrant health, though.

http://www.inspirawtion.com/Freelee.html
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    While I certainly am interested in doing more reading on the information shared, I take issue with "basically toxic" in your title.
    In large enough quantities, anything is toxic, including WATER.

the "basically toxic" part comes from the out-put of fructose metabolism which is lipogenesis, aka the production of new fat stored as droplets in the liver. The storage of fat in the liver is toxic. The metabolism of ethanol in alcoholic beverages results in the same suite of liver toxic components and also results in fatty droplets stored in the liver resulting in liver disease.

Fatty liver is the main cause of abnormal liver function tests and is one of the criteria for diagnosing a patient with Metabolic Syndrome.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Wow! Better tell Freelee, Durianrider they should be dead (www.30bananasaday.com)! And Dr. Douglas Graham who wrote 80/10/10. If you want to look at what we were most likely DESIGNED to eat it is probably a good idea to look at our closest relatives, apes. They eat mostly fruit plus green leafy plants and small amounts of insects, etc. They don't worry about where they will get their protein since they are solid muscle (just like cows and horses who do not consume protein bars, shakes, and meat). Kale is 50% protein based on calories. We are the only animals who cook our foods, as well. Makes you think. And no I am not a vegan hippy and do currently eat meat. As a registered nurse with a lot of knowledge about nutrition, I do not believe that is the way to vibrant health, though.

http://www.inspirawtion.com/Freelee.html

There is a difference between acute and chronic toxicity, of course.The 30bananas ppl obviously aren't dead and likely won't be anytime soon. Sugar in a fruit vehicle is considerably different than sugar in a soda vehicle (mass, volume, water content, fiber, etc).
    An ape eating fruits here and there interspersed throughout the day while wandering around and picking up insects and leaves is hardly comparable to a modern human. Unfortunately, I have a desk job. I'd probably be a lot healthier if I had to wander around on foot all day. I wish that offices would give people standing desks.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fructose most certainly does spike insulin, so I'm going to go ahead and discount all the other alarmist stuff, as well. Also, fructose can and certainly is, converted by the body into glycogen by the liver, same as glucose.

Fructose is not evil. Sugar is not evil. Artificial sweeteners are not evil. Saturated fat is not evil. Dairy is not evil. No food is evil. Food is food.

"Fructose, unlike glucose, does not stimulate insulin secretion from pancreatic ß cells. The lack of stimulation by fructose is likely due to the low concentrations of the fructose transporter GLUT5 in ß cells. Insulin is involved in the regulation of body adiposity via its actions in the central nervous system (CNS) to inhibit food intake and increase energy expenditure."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2929488/

Fructose on its own is almost identical to glucose as far as glycemic response. It's only when mixed with glucose that fructose seems to have no effect, and that's because the glucose is responsible for glycemic response. In the same vein, the body only metabolizes an equal amount of fructose and glucose when ingested together. This why I shake my head at the anti HFCS crowd, who are brainwashed into thinking it is some evil fructose delivery device,as HFCS is 41% glucose, so even though it has 55% fructose, the body only metabolizes 41% of it, and the rest just gets eliminated.

Also, there is no normal food that I know of, that contains fructose without glucose, it doesn't exist.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2929488/

Fructose on its own is almost identical to glucose as far as glycemic response. It's only when mixed with glucose that fructose seems to have no effect, and that's because the glucose is responsible for glycemic response. In the same vein, the body only metabolizes an equal amount of fructose and glucose when ingested together. This why I shake my head at the anti HFCS crowd, who are brainwashed into thinking it is some evil fructose delivery device,as HFCS is 41% glucose, so even though it has 55% fructose, the body only metabolizes 41% of it, and the rest just gets eliminated.

Also, there is no normal food that I know of, that contains fructose without glucose, it doesn't exist.

Yes. fructose does result in increases in blood glucose levels. That is why diabetics that get a "low" can drink a bottle of soda and watch their blood sugar increase. The patients in that study were insulin-dependent diabetics. Fructose does NOT however, stimulate insulin secretion. Instead, it transports directly into the liver. Which really doesn't even matter for an insulin-dependent diabetic who is going to shoot up anyways.
  • tigersword
    Options
    And the studies that showed fructose had negative impacts on leptin response were done on rats, so it's equally irrelevant. I also can't find any information that says that insulin response is a prerequisite for leptin to signal the brain that a person is sated, because it really has nothing to do with it. After all, if that were the case, you'd never feel full eating high fat, since fat isn't insulinogenic.
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that link. I watched the whole thing and can say I will be avoiding as much of this as I can. I don't drink soda often or indulge in many packaged foods but will be even more careful about reading labels. It's all about awareness. Type 2 diabetic and other heath issues will be easier to treat I am hoping.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that link. I watched the whole thing and can say I will be avoiding as much of this as I can. I don't drink soda often or indulge in many packaged foods but will be even more careful about reading labels. It's all about awareness. Type 2 diabetic and other heath issues will be easier to treat I am hoping.

Fructose is abundant in honey, all fruit, and all vegetables, especially root vegetables. It's not something you should be trying to avoid, as the real science doesn't support that video..
  • seaglass2
    Options
    I've seen the video. This pediatric endocrinologist is using research to explain the alarming increase in the rate of obesity
    in children.

If you want to dismiss it that is your perogative but a lot of what he says makes sense.

Eating clean and reducing/eliminating high processed foods will keep you and your kids healthy.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Yes, because singling out fructose as some evil boogeyman making our kids fat makes so much more sense than the fact that kids spend more time indoors, are much less active now, and eat more calories in general, than kids of the past.

But yeah, it's not the fact that the majority of kids stay indoors playing video games instead of being outside and active, and it's not the fact that they are eating more food than they should be, it's simply because people are suddenly eating fructose. Because, let's face it, people obviously must not have been eating fructose for the past few million years or so...

And eating clean is irrelevant. Fructose is in EVERY natural food except meat. It's in fruit, vegetables, beans, honey, nuts, agave, eggs, milk, wheat, rice (even brown rice,) etc. If it's so terrible and toxic the human race should've died out millennia ago.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    tigersword - the video is about high fructose corn syrup - not natural sugar found in fruit. HFCS was not always in food.

I have a question - did you watch the video?

When my son was 10 he started gaining weight. He played sports from August to June then spent the summer at camp outside all day swimming, playing baseball etc., not a kid eating junk food and playing video games.

The camp had water and juice all day but the campers brought sports drinks from home so I let him take gatorade thinking keep hydrated and electrolytes. I didn't make the connection but he had a bigger appetite never seemed full. I though he was just growing but he was putting on more weight. Once we stopped the sports drinks and switched to water the weight came off. It was that one 32 oz container of sports drink with hfcs that made the difference.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Overly dramatic videos and books, which claim to have *the* answer to the health problems so common in our society, rely on scare tactics and sensationalism to hammer home their theory and leave no room for debate. The drama, appeals to emotion, and scare tactics they use are irresponsible and far removed from the world of carefully tested, reliable scientific opinion. Here's an easy tip: if they have a recent discovery, and they are trying to convince you that it's absolutely correct with no complicated exceptions or still unknown elements that still need further study, then it's almost certainly not properly conducted, well-supported research that you should find compelling.

Yes, there are a lot of problems with the modern diet. Yes, changes are necessary. But if you think there is one nutrient or one molecule that is secretly causing all the problems, you're fooling yourself and being taken by a (potentially expensive) ride by someone with their own agenda.

If you want to jump from one "breakthrough discovery" to another, go ahead. Go low fat and change your mind and go low carb. Take some HCG and then decide that it's actually fructose that's the problem. Listen to the people that tell you it's essential to eat every 4 hours and exercise before 10AM, and then change your mind and switch to a juice fast cleanse. Whatever makes you happy.

But if you're sick and tired of the changing advice and the extremes of moving from one overly dramatic scheme to another, you could just do the things that almost everyone agrees works:
    - Exercise more
    - Reduce your portions
    - Cut out processed foods and cook from scratch where possible
    - Eat more fruits and veggies

You'd be surprised how far the basics will take you.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Yes, because singling out fructose as some evil boogeyman making our kids fat makes so much more sense than the fact that kids spend more time indoors, are much less active now, and eat more calories in general, than kids of the past.

But yeah, it's not the fact that the majority of kids stay indoors playing video games instead of being outside and active, and it's not the fact that they are eating more food than they should be, it's simply because people are suddenly eating fructose. Because, let's face it, people obviously must not have been eating fructose for the past few million years or so...

And eating clean is irrelevant. Fructose is in EVERY natural food except meat. It's in fruit, vegetables, beans, honey, nuts, agave, eggs, milk, wheat, rice (even brown rice,) etc. If it's so terrible and toxic the human race should've died out millennia ago.

You've missed the main point which is simply that fructose, at the levels we currently consume it, is unsafe. It's everywhere! If it were just in veggies, fruits, grains, etc., that would be less damaging than when it is hiding in my Ragu or my cheerios..yanno?
    I'm not disagreeing with you about any of your points. I just think that it is VERY important to bear in mind how much sugar you're taking in considering that so many of us have gotten fat eating a high fat, high carb diet. I certainly would not advocate for removal of sugar from the diet. Neither does the speaker in that video.

Moderation and all that...