Fructose leads to Metabolic Syndrome and is basically toxic

Options

Replies

• WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Overly dramatic videos and books, which claim to have *the* answer to the health problems so common in our society, rely on scare tactics and sensationalism to hammer home their theory and leave no room for debate. The drama, appeals to emotion, and scare tactics they use are irresponsible and far removed from the world of carefully tested, reliable scientific opinion. Here's an easy tip: if they have a recent discovery, and they are trying to convince you that it's absolutely correct with no complicated exceptions or still unknown elements that still need further study, then it's almost certainly not properly conducted, well-supported research that you should find compelling.

Yes, there are a lot of problems with the modern diet. Yes, changes are necessary. But if you think there is one nutrient or one molecule that is secretly causing all the problems, you're fooling yourself and being taken by a (potentially expensive) ride by someone with their own agenda.

If you want to jump from one "breakthrough discovery" to another, go ahead. Go low fat and change your mind and go low carb. Take some HCG and then decide that it's actually fructose that's the problem. Listen to the people that tell you it's essential to eat every 4 hours and exercise before 10AM, and then change your mind and switch to a juice fast cleanse. Whatever makes you happy.

But if you're sick and tired of the changing advice and the extremes of moving from one overly dramatic scheme to another, you could just do the things that almost everyone agrees works:
    - Exercise more
    - Reduce your portions
    - Cut out processed foods and cook from scratch where possible
    - Eat more fruits and veggies

You'd be surprised how far the basics will take you.

Agreed. Basics are where it's at. I think I've done a poor job of promoting this video because most people (who haven't watched it) are jumping straight to "don't demonize one molecule" which really isn't what I wanted!
    I learned through it that fructose metabolism is much more complicated than people assume and that too much is a very bad thing on a molecular level. Course, I'm interested in science and love a good set of scientific controversies to look over. At the end of the day, you can't argue the biochemistry end of it though. Fructose at high doses does almost certainly cause metabolic syndrome. Period.

I think the video made me sincerely more aware of my "excess" sugar consumption... Sure I eat bananas and apples and all manner of fructose treats, but now I'm thinking I should be much more careful about the other sources...in the pantry mostly. And that is a very good thing.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigersword - the video is about high fructose corn syrup - not natural sugar found in fruit. HFCS was not always in food.

I have a question - did you watch the video?

When my son was 10 he started gaining weight. He played sports from August to June then spent the summer at camp outside all day swimming, playing baseball etc., not a kid eating junk food and playing video games.

The camp had water and juice all day but the campers brought sports drinks from home so I let him take gatorade thinking keep hydrated and electrolytes. I didn't make the connection but he had a bigger appetite never seemed full. I though he was just growing but he was putting on more weight. Once we stopped the sports drinks and switched to water the weight came off. It was that one 32 oz container of sports drink with hfcs that made the difference.

You sure it wasn't the 250 extra calories that a 32 oz container of Gatorade had in it, compared to water? I lost a ton of weight when I cut back soda and drank more water instead. Fructose had nothing to do with it, cutting out a few hundred calories a day did.

Did I watch this video? Yes. Do I agree with it? No. Does the science fit? Again, no. There is absolutely no physical difference between fructose in everything you eat normally, and fructose in HFCS, it's the exact same molecule, and the body metabolizes it in the exact same way. Contrary to what the "anti-fructose" camp seems to spread, the body doesn't absorb fructose very easily, free fructose is only absorbed in very small amounts at a time, glucose helps the body absorb fructose, but only in equal amounts to glucose.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Yes, because singling out fructose as some evil boogeyman making our kids fat makes so much more sense than the fact that kids spend more time indoors, are much less active now, and eat more calories in general, than kids of the past.

But yeah, it's not the fact that the majority of kids stay indoors playing video games instead of being outside and active, and it's not the fact that they are eating more food than they should be, it's simply because people are suddenly eating fructose. Because, let's face it, people obviously must not have been eating fructose for the past few million years or so...

And eating clean is irrelevant. Fructose is in EVERY natural food except meat. It's in fruit, vegetables, beans, honey, nuts, agave, eggs, milk, wheat, rice (even brown rice,) etc. If it's so terrible and toxic the human race should've died out millennia ago.

You've missed the main point which is simply that fructose, at the levels we currently consume it, is unsafe. It's everywhere! If it were just in veggies, fruits, grains, etc., that would be less damaging than when it is hiding in my Ragu or my cheerios..yanno?
    I'm not disagreeing with you about any of your points. I just think that it is VERY important to bear in mind how much sugar you're taking in considering that so many of us have gotten fat eating a high fat, high carb diet. I certainly would not advocate for removal of sugar from the diet. Neither does the speaker in that video.

Moderation and all that...

Too much of anything is bad for you. I probably have a slightly different perspective on it, because I make EVERYTHING from scratch, from bread, to mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauces, grind my own meat, make my own tomato sauces, and my own pastas. The only thing I buy that comes in a box is Grape Nuts, and that only has wheat, malted barley, yeast and salt in it.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Yes, because singling out fructose as some evil boogeyman making our kids fat makes so much more sense than the fact that kids spend more time indoors, are much less active now, and eat more calories in general, than kids of the past.

But yeah, it's not the fact that the majority of kids stay indoors playing video games instead of being outside and active, and it's not the fact that they are eating more food than they should be, it's simply because people are suddenly eating fructose. Because, let's face it, people obviously must not have been eating fructose for the past few million years or so...

And eating clean is irrelevant. Fructose is in EVERY natural food except meat. It's in fruit, vegetables, beans, honey, nuts, agave, eggs, milk, wheat, rice (even brown rice,) etc. If it's so terrible and toxic the human race should've died out millennia ago.

You've missed the main point which is simply that fructose, at the levels we currently consume it, is unsafe. It's everywhere! If it were just in veggies, fruits, grains, etc., that would be less damaging than when it is hiding in my Ragu or my cheerios..yanno?
    I'm not disagreeing with you about any of your points. I just think that it is VERY important to bear in mind how much sugar you're taking in considering that so many of us have gotten fat eating a high fat, high carb diet. I certainly would not advocate for removal of sugar from the diet. Neither does the speaker in that video.

Too much of anything is bad for you. I probably have a slightly different perspective on it, because I make EVERYTHING from scratch, from bread, to mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauces, grind my own meat, make my own tomato sauces, and my own pastas. The only thing I buy that comes in a box is Grape Nuts, and that only has wheat, malted barley, yeast and salt in it.

Sounds like you're doing what we all need to be doing!! Have you always? Or is it a change you made gradually?

I'm so interested in the chemistry behind metabolism because I'm a scientist. I work in toxicology and environmental contamination and it's so fascinating seeing how organisms react differently to compounds in nature. A molecule can be almost identical to another and one can have a ridiculously different toxicities. So, when I'm looking at the difference between fructose and glucose metabolism in the liver (most chemical contaminants are also processed there) I like to see how their minute structural differences cascade through various enzyme inductions and result in different chemical or physical endpoints. It's so cool.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    *BIG SIGH*

No, fructose isn't toxic.

No, fructose doesn't lead to metabolic syndrome.

Obesity causes metabolic disfunction. Excess calorie consumption causes obesity. End of story.

Please, for the love of all things rational and good, someone make the alarmist baloney disappear. PLEASE?!!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    *BIG SIGH*

Obesity causes metabolic disfunction. Excess calorie consumption causes obesity. End of story.

Please, for the love of all things rational and good, someone make the alarmist baloney disappear. PLEASE?!!

I'll second that request. Please?
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    When will people not notice that these studies are done with 100% pure fructose which none of us EVER EAT. EVER.

Fruit has fructose, and glucose, and mannitose... and FIBER and all kinds of other stuff that are GOOD FOR YOU. *sigh*

OMG.. the video was about HFCS *RUN FOR THE HILLS*...... Idiots. HFCS is 50/50 glucose/fructose JUST LIKE TABLE SUGAR IT IS NO DIFFERENT.

Take it from a food scientist please that all of this stuff is total BOGUS. 100% BS.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but fructose is the sugar found in fruits. It's not going to hurt you to eat the 2-4 servings of fruit a day that is called for in a balanced diet. All I'm going to say. LMAO! :laugh:
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    *BIG SIGH*

I'll second that request. Please?

I'mma third this.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    When will people not notice that these studies are done with 100% pure fructose which none of us EVER EAT. EVER.

Fruit has fructose, and glucose, and mannitose... and FIBER and all kinds of other stuff that are GOOD FOR YOU. *sigh*

OMG.. the video was about HFCS *RUN FOR THE HILLS*...... Idiots. HFCS is 50/50 glucose/fructose JUST LIKE TABLE SUGAR IT IS NO DIFFERENT.

Take it from a food scientist please that all of this stuff is total BOGUS. 100% BS.

/claps. :) This post made for happy!
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add, "Lustig" is the German word for "funny".

Just, you know... sayin.

And yeah, when was the last time any of us ate pure fructose? SMH.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add, "Lustig" is the German word for "funny".

You just made my night. :heart:
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    No one's even looking at the video or links :( Just jumping to conclusions.

The POINT and the ONLY point is that fructose at the levels currently being consumed is hazardous on a population level as supported by the biochemical metabolism of said molecule. At high doses, regardless of whether or not it's accompanied by glucose, fructose causes a suite of chemical changes that are negative.

Take away message = Don't eat excessive sugar. Eat you fruits and enjoy them. I only hoped people would look at the biochemistry and say "wow, no wonder so much sugar made me fat. One (major) byproduct of sugar metabolism is LDL and fatty droplets in the liver. Oh yeah, and look at how eating half of my sugar calories from soda might translate to my being hungrier, rather than fuller!"

but instead I get a bunch of "oh i dont think id like to read or watch but lemme tell u how wrong u are...ima eat an apple now and watch it not kill me''

obviously this is not the place for biochem discussion (except for Tiger, thanks).
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    obviously this is not the place for biochem discussion

that's the understatement of the year. :laugh:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    obviously this is not the place for biochem discussion

that's the understatement of the year. :laugh:

BLASPHEMY!! Every thread is the place for a biochem discussion :wink: Biochemistry is life. :love:
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well i think its all very interesting, there is way to much sugar in everyones diest (read Sugar Nation, its eye opening)

A Lot of you forget why we are on this website, we record our food and track our calories and gain support from our fellow MFPers as we are all trying to lose weight arent we? Or at least maintaining weight? Or just get fitter and healthier?

We arent here to say...errr your wrong by the way. There are a million 'studies' out there telling us what to eat and not to eat and we are all going to brush our teeth and die of cancer or wear deoderant and grow a second head.

And some of us seem to forget that everyones body is different, metabolising all foods differently. :)
  • tigersword
    Options

Sounds like you're doing what we all need to be doing!! Have you always? Or is it a change you made gradually?

I'm so interested in the chemistry behind metabolism because I'm a scientist. I work in toxicology and environmental contamination and it's so fascinating seeing how organisms react differently to compounds in nature. A molecule can be almost identical to another and one can have a ridiculously different toxicities. So, when I'm looking at the difference between fructose and glucose metabolism in the liver (most chemical contaminants are also processed there) I like to see how their minute structural differences cascade through various enzyme inductions and result in different chemical or physical endpoints. It's so cool.

I've always done it that way. I have a culinary background, and honestly, it's just so much cheaper to make everything from scratch. Mayonnaise, for example, takes about 3 minutes to make, and I can make 3 or 4 jars for the cost of buying one in the store. And it takes longer, but for the cost of your average loaf of whole grain bread at the store, I could probably bake 5 loaves of bread at home. It's just never made sense to me to buy things that I can easily make myself.

I do however, still drink sodas when I want them, and will buy occasional candy bars. I'm not concerned with HFCS in food to be honest, since on a biological level, the human body can't distinguish a difference between HFCs and sucrose, and all the products that have HFCS in them, had sucrose in them before. Also, since HFCS is actually sweeter in flavor than sugar, due to the slightly higher fructose content (it's not 50/50 like another poster stated, ithe most common version used in food is 55/41/4, fructose/glucose/other sugars) so there's actually less HFCS in those foods than if it was sucrose. Also, since the body struggles to absorb and process fructose without an equal amount of glucose involved, it means that gram for gram, you eat less fructose when you consume HFCS over sucrose, to a ratio of about 0.82/1. Is that significantly less? No, it's similar enough that a gram of sucrose and a gram of HFCS are processed identically in the human body. Biologically, the digestive system can't tell the difference.

Is there too much sugar in the Standard American Diet? I'm sure there is. Does that make sugar, or any component of sugar, the cause of the obesity and diabetes epidemic? Nope. Excess calories are the culprit there. While it's true that cutting sugar can cut calories (approximately 4 calories per gram of sugar, it's not really that big of a calorie hit in the long run,) that doesn't mean it's sugar that causes any of these issues, as cutting out any other equivalent amount of calories from your diet would have the same net effect. Trying to blame any one specific food or chemical in food is missing the forest for the trees.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! I watched the entire video and have some educational background in Human Physiology so I too am very interested and enjoyed the learning experience. Everyone keeps posting without watching the whole video so they don't understand how the body completely processes Sucrose & Fructose at the molecular level. Bottom line Sucrose & Fructose (Not from fruit) are slowly poisoning us and keeping us hungry which is why I never let my daughter drink soda and we limit processed foods.

If your brain can't recognize it, your body will think you're still hungry! Look at the proof people!

I genuinely appreciate that post, thank you again!
  • tigersword
    Options
    Thank you for posting! I watched the entire video and have some educational background in Human Physiology so I too am very interested and enjoyed the learning experience. Everyone keeps posting without watching the whole video so they don't understand how the body completely processes Sucrose & Fructose at the molecular level. Bottom line Sucrose & Fructose (Not from fruit) are slowly poisoning us and keeping us hungry which is why I never let my daughter drink soda and we limit processed foods.

If your brain can't recognize it, your body will think you're still hungry! Look at the proof people!

I do need to watch the video to understand how the human body processes sugar. I already understand the processes. Also, why do you think fructose and sucrose in fruit are somehow magically not toxic, but everywhere else it is? It's the same fructose and sucrose, no matter what food source it comes from. The human body doesn't recognize "fruit" or "soda" when you eat, it recognizes sucrose, fructose, glucose, galactose, and whatever other sugar may be In them and processes them in the exact same way.

If sucrose and fructose are slowly poisoning us; then the sucrose and fructose in fruit, vegetables, and grains are equally poisoning us. You can't have it both ways. It doesn't work like that.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I do need to watch the video to understand how the human body processes sugar. I already understand the processes. Also, why do you think fructose and sucrose in fruit are somehow magically not toxic, but everywhere else it is? It's the same fructose and sucrose, no matter what food source it comes from. The human body doesn't recognize "fruit" or "soda" when you eat, it recognizes sucrose, fructose, glucose, galactose, and whatever other sugar may be In them and processes them in the exact same way.

If sucrose and fructose are slowly poisoning us; then the sucrose and fructose in fruit, vegetables, and grains are equally poisoning us. You can't have it both ways. It doesn't work like that.

Actually, you obviously should watch the video. Fructose that is naturally in fruit is counteracted by the large about of fiber per fructose ratio. No one knows everything, so everyone should be open to learning something new. The bio chem breakdown explanation in the video would help you to understand better.