How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday, if I don't weigh everyday I find myself "falling off the wagon" lol. Yes the scale goes up and down, and some days it's discouraging, but for the most part it helps me keep my diet/workouts in check. I only log losses though. I do keep track of my weight in notes section of my food diary. :)

^^Me too!
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a scale *kitten*! If I don't like the numbers, it pushes me harder to workout.

I do the same thing....I think I'm actually scale ocd..... I do it ever time I'm in the bathroom. This has me really watching what I eat and how much I work out.... the few days I didn't do it that way I gained a few pounds. Guess I'm afraid of that happening again.....

For most people I would say once a week though. ( I only log my weight Monday mornings though.)

*joining the OCD crew*

I weigh every time i'm in the bathroom and near the scale just about. It is so bad, I even know how much to subtract for the clothes I wear. :laugh: :sad: :laugh:

Officially, I weigh every morning butterball naked before getting in the shower and after my first pee. I log it every day whether it is up or down as it helps me look back at my eating and see how the foods affected me. My official weigh in day for the week is Sunday mornings. That's the one I count for my challenge. It helps me keep on track this way, but I know it probably isn't the best. Whatevs. :laugh:
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself everyday, but then I started getting obsessed and sometimes discouraged if I had a small gain. I had my hubby hide the scale and I am not weighing in again until March 1. That will be a three week reprieve. I'm not saying its easy, or that I havent tried to find the scale, but I am doing all the right things food-wise and keeping up exercise so I am not allowing myself to fail... I just realized that there is more to this journey than simply a number. Now when I need affirmation that I am making progress, I pay closer attention to the little details... I look in the mirror, actually HEAR and accept when someone pays me a compliment about my progress, the way I feel in my clothes, etc. It is definitely less stressful and hopefully on March 1st I will see a decent number!

Best wishes!
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and use a free app to monitor it called "monitor your weight"
    I know my weight temporarily increases on weekend and that's mainly sodium (of snacks)
    Logging daily and monitoring it helps me to co-relate it with exercises n all and I also don't freak out when I see little spikes.
    On MFP, I log it weekly though :-)
  • I weigh myself once a week, but one thing I would recommend over weighing yourself would actually be to measure yourself instead. Weight is really hard to base your progress off of mostly because our weight is always fluctuating, as well as when you're exercising constantly, you're building muscle mass which may make you heavier on the scale but more fit and toned in person. It's always good to weigh yourself to keep you on track, but you shouldn't do it in excess as your weight changes so frequently and often it will just discourage you. By measuring your bust, waist and thighs regularly you're monitoring how much you've slimmed down rather than regulating your total mass. Just something to think about, but I'd definitely say regarding weighing yourself to do it no more than once or twice a week.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    When losing - Once a week.
    On maintenance - 1-2 times per month.

Never had a set weigh in day, and didn't go near the scales when feeling fat or bloated!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Once a week, sometimes twice. Typically I alternate between Friday and Monday, sometimes both, depending on a few things.
  • rtaddlowe
    Options
    Every freaking morning! Oh and I always double check that my keys are in my pocket before I lock my car doors and sometimes go back and make sure I locked it.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but only my Monday weight is "official".
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    that's interesting i had a gain this mornign after losing my 2lb ( week one of mfp :smile: ) and i was so upset, will bear that in mind and not gobble lots of bread to cheer myself up and undo any good work :blushing:
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    I was weighing myself everyday, but then I started getting obsessed and sometimes discouraged if I had a small gain. I had my hubby hide the scale and I am not weighing in again until March 1. That will be a three week reprieve. I'm not saying its easy, or that I havent tried to find the scale, but I am doing all the right things food-wise and keeping up exercise so I am not allowing myself to fail... I just realized that there is more to this journey than simply a number. Now when I need affirmation that I am making progress, I pay closer attention to the little details... I look in the mirror, actually HEAR and accept when someone pays me a compliment about my progress, the way I feel in my clothes, etc. It is definitely less stressful and hopefully on March 1st I will see a decent number!

Best wishes!

absolutely best of luck for 1st March :smile:
  • harrywilliams
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning when I wake up. I find weighing myself everyday is doing too much and you get discouraged easily and fall off the wagon.
  • heathermarie517
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. It's what works for me. Keeps me honest, and looking forward to jumping out of bed! :-)
  • heathermarie517
    Options
    and, keeps me from eating crud late at night! I know I have to FACE the # in the AM!
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    rarely.. unless I know I've gained a lot of weight - or had a high sodium day.
    I like to focus more on how I feel and look in the mirror than the number.
  • Stephisonaroll
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, just to keep track of where I'm at. But I only log my weigh ins on Sunday morning before doing anything else.

thats what I do, except it's every friday morning...I like weighing everday becasue I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction..if I notice a gain or no loss over a few days I change things up in my workout/ meals
  • jesirabbit02
    Options
    I weight myself the morning before my weight watchers meeting, because I track my weight first thing in the morning butt naked and by weight watchers meeting time I'm already up anywhere from 1-3 lbs due to breakfast and mid-morning snacks.
  • coquette87
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I'm used to seeing the little fluctuations up and down, and I track the trend. As long as the overall trend is downward (which it has been) I can ignore the daily ups and downs. My official WW Online weigh in day is Monday, so whatever the scale says that morning is my official weight for the week.

Unlike some people, I actually find weighing daily to stop me being neurotic about the scale. Example - Last week, on Monday, I officially hadn't lost anything from the previous Monday. Except on Saturday and Sunday morning, I knew I'd been down a half a pound. Sunday night, I had a dinner with a lot of salt in it. So I knew I had lost, and was just retaining water. If I hadn't weighed myself Saturday and Sunday, I wouldn't have known that I actually did lose anything that week. Sure enough, Tuesday morning, I'd dropped the excess water weight.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My scales are pretty awful, you weigh yourself and record it, then get on it again 2 mins later and you've gained/lost up to 3 pounds!

What should I do?

That's what I mean by consistently inconsistent so if you do it at the same time, same clothes or no clothes, same scale you can at least see some kind of trend and that's about all you can say about scales unless you paid big bucks for a physician scale.
  • CrazyCaliColtFan
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, but one thing I would recommend over weighing yourself would actually be to measure yourself instead. Weight is really hard to base your progress off of mostly because our weight is always fluctuating, as well as when you're exercising constantly, you're building muscle mass which may make you heavier on the scale but more fit and toned in person. It's always good to weigh yourself to keep you on track, but you shouldn't do it in excess as your weight changes so frequently and often it will just discourage you. By measuring your bust, waist and thighs regularly you're monitoring how much you've slimmed down rather than regulating your total mass. Just something to think about, but I'd definitely say regarding weighing yourself to do it no more than once or twice a week.

Glad you mentioned it because I thought about this after my post! That is super crucial in seeing results... you will lose inches with muscle ( and muscle burns more fat then no muscle while your sleeping even!)...