What to eat for Breakfast!?

Options
Hey MFP,
For breakfast I usually eat egg whites, bread, bacon, sausage, tator tots, yogurt and sometimes cereal. I find myself eating from 400 to 550 calories for breakfast. I am trying to decrease that number. Any help? What should I eat for breakfast? Something that could fill me up?

Replies

• sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think the best possible breakfast is still oatmeal: 1/2 cup of oats brought to a boil with a pinch of salt and double the amount of water as well as some milk and then simmered on low for a few minutes until the oats have soaked up plenty of liquid and the whole thing is nice and thick. As for toppings, my current favourite is either sliced banana (when I am really hungry) or a chopped apple, 1 teaspoon of drippy peanut butter, some cinnamon or pumpkin spice and 1-2 teaspoons of maple syrup. Yum! Other great toppings include fresh blueberries and honey, raisins or chopped nuts, fresh raspberries and some greek yoghurt, etc etc etc.

The oatmeal by itself has ca. 245 calories, depending on the toppings it will go up to 400. It has great staying power (oats are very low GI) and it is one of the few foods that actively reduces your cholesterol levels. Also, a 1kg bag of ORGANIC oats costs me less than GBP 2 (less than $3 I think) and provides enough oats for 2 breakfasts - from a cost perspective, this can't really be eaten by any other breakfast cereal!
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I switched to cereal/oatmeal with berries for breakfast on weekdays a few months ago. This has helped me bring my breakfast count down and if I want eggs and bacon on the weekend, I don't see anything wrong with bringing it back once in awhile.
  • EpicMeyri
    EpicMeyri Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    unfortunately I cannot make my own food because I dorm, there isn't really oatmeal everyday. But I would try that on the weekdays :) Thanks.
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In that case try and pick whatever is the healthiest option - e.g. do they have all bran flakes or muesli? You could have that with yoghurt and fresh fruit (and if there is no fresh fruit, try and by some at the store and keep in your room). I went to boarding school and lived in halls of residence during my first year at uni and I know how hard it can be to get breakfast in the cafeteria and not go with the bacon, eggs and hashbrowns, but it is worth it. Breakfast is the most important meal and it would be silly to waste lots of empty calories on foods that wont do you any good. And like the poster above me, I try to be good at breakfast during the week and then I dont need to worry as much on the weekend when I like to enjoy things like french toast or almond croissants (allowing myself these once in a while treats also helps me stick with oatmeal etc during the week when a Starbucks muffin is looking too tempting!). Good luck!
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    Can you still eat the same but cut your portions in half?
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i usually just eat a breakfast burrito.. one scrambled egg .. a pinch of cheese .. sometimes a piece of bacon ..or turkey lunch meat.. its pretty filling along with my orange juice . or skip the juice.. add some fruit..
  • sv1983
    sv1983 Posts: 23
    Options
    i've been having cream of wheat with a banana in it.. fills me up, then i usually have a small snack if i get hungry before lunch! :) good luck!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i have coffee, 2 bits of toast with peanut butter on it , no butter
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I know you said you live in a dorm, but do you have access to a microwave? I use a micro every morning to make my oatmeal - large flake oatmeal with some water, zap it for 2 min at 80% power. I add a variety of things before cooking - almonds, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, coconut and banana (so yummy together!)...and voila, it's done. It's so filling - about 300 cals, depending on what you add/don't add.

Try to limit your processed foods - tater tots I am sure aren't good. :) Well, they TASTE good lol.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    when i was in college, eating in the dorms, I would have cereal--lots of it. bad bad bad. they made omelets on weekends though--fill with veggies, ask for 1 egg yolk and the rest whites, and have a slice of whole grain toast with it.

have 2 slices toast, spread lightly with pb, and a fruit.

have cereal and yogurt..mix together. and a fruit.

1 waffle--top with fruit and yogurt
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP,
    For breakfast I usually eat egg whites, bread, bacon, sausage, tator tots, yogurt and sometimes cereal. I find myself eating from 400 to 550 calories for breakfast. I am trying to decrease that number. Any help? What should I eat for breakfast? Something that could fill me up?

Breakfast is my biggest and favorite meal of the day! Mine is anywhere between 500-600 calories and I love it. :) Personally, for a better breakfast, I would suggest making sure your bread is whole wheat and only have the bacon/sausage/tator tots occasionally. Instead, add fruits and vegetables. It will keep you filled up but reduce your calorie, fat, carb and sodium counts.

My breakfast...

breakfast2.jpg
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I usually do hot cereal (farina/cream of wheat or oatmeal). That's right around 200-250 as I use Almond Milk.

I often do a hot breakfast with egg whites/egg substitutes, turkey bacon, a slice of cheese (around 60 cal or less), and either a sandwich thin or an english muffin. That ends up being around 300-350. If I add veggies instead of cheese my cal count is lower.

Add in some Trop50 or some hot tea-- yumyum!

If I have calories to spare, then a 1/2 cup of yogurt.

You could trim the calories down on your breakfast if you took out the tater tots and maybe the bread. It would also help to select one meat instead of two. Just thinking of ways for you to trim the calories. Sub a piece of fruit for the yogurt too.

Hope this helps in some way and good luck!
  • MallRatMeg
    Options
    I usually eat a bowl of cereal with skim milk and around 4 pieces of turkey bacon and sometimes occasionally some eggs. :)
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    two packs of plain instant oatmeal with one whole fruit of choice :smile:
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Can you still eat the same but cut your portions in half?
    I just have eggs with grilled peppers, cheese, and turkey sausage. That comes out to just about 400, but I dont get hungry again until well after noon, because most of it is protein and fat. I used to eat oatmeal, but I was always hungry like 2 hours later.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    1. Poached egg on toast.
    2. 2 egg with mushfooms and cherry tomatos fritatta.
    3. Beans on toast
    4 40g bowl of shreddies with skimmed milk.
    Always with a cup of tea.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    unfortunately I cannot make my own food because I dorm, there isn't really oatmeal everyday. But I would try that on the weekdays :) Thanks.

Not even a way to microwave or boil water? I know here at the college dorms the students have a small kitchen as part of their shared common space. Oat revoluton has pre~portioned packets (my fav it strawberries and creme with flax) and they are really good. and you can even prepare them right in their own packaging. (Though I have never tried it) The directions are right on the side of the packet to prepare it that way. 2 packets are 320 cals. add a piece of fruit or slice of toast and you are in the 400 cal range. Good luck! :)
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My mornings are very hectic so I atleast grab a banana or yogurt on my way out the door to take the kids to school. If you want something quick grab a jimmy deans breakfast delites sandwich they are only 210 calories.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I had a "microfridge" in my room--mini fridge and microwave connected.

In my dining hall there was always some unsweetened hot cereal--always. I'd check the area--get some sort of hot cereal.

If none, then get whole grain cold cereal...in a small bowl. Opt for low fat milk or yogurt in your cereal.

Have hard boiled eggs if possible or ham because they're leaner than regular bacon. If there's turkey bacon then have that.

Try to get some veggies in there somehow--or berries if no veggies. Take a fruit to go for later.

Have coffee or tea over juice, cocoa, or anything with calories.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. I either put half a thing of yogurt in it, or applesauce, frozen berries, almonds...etc. Always oatmeal. I put chia seeds in mine, too. Or flax if I'm feeling wild.

Edit: Now seeing that you can't have oatmeal...that's tricky. Find some boiling water :)