My husband is doing a juice fast. Help Needed!

Options
Hey everyone :)

So this is what is going on. My husband decided he wanted to try and do a 30 day juice fast...now I am aware of the dangers, and the fact that this is not the best way to lose weight, but talking him out of it is not an option. So here we are on day 5. So far he lost in 4 days, 12pounds, and he is encouraged by this and more strong in his resolve than ever.

Some background on him: He's 46 years old, started at 330lbs, ate horrible every single day, lots of fast food, very little movement. He did not ease into this at all, just went from eating junk to juice.

Ok, so he's consuming 64oz of juice a day, that I am pressing in the juicer for him, making sure he gets a variety of colors, vegetables and fruits. Also at least another 64 oz of water, sometimes with lemon wedges. His morning juice I blend a banana with to help curb hunger and his nighttime juice I blend with about a 2/3 cup of frozen unsweetened strawberries. He's doing great and feels ok.

Now for the ISSUE...he has not had a bowell movement since the day before he started! This seems so unfathomable, considering all the apple juice I'm pressing! I just need to know if I need to get him an enema, or what. I don't want him getting sick from backed up toxins or whatever.

Also, anyone else ever done an extreme fast like this? He is still STARVING constantly, and we had read that the hunger was supposed to subside by now.

Please, if you have any information for me, I would very much appreciate it, and again, I am not advocating his decision, so no juice fast bashing necessary lol

Thankyou!

Lauren:heart:

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    He's not consuming any fibre which is what is causing his issue.
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message regarding where to get some information on the raw eating, but in addition, i'd say that his body may just be adjusting to the shock of going from excess calories to next to nothing. I'd bet it's holding on to what little is coming in.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone :)

So this is what is going on. My husband decided he wanted to try and do a 30 day juice fast...now I am aware of the dangers, and the fact that this is not the best way to lose weight, but talking him out of it is not an option. So here we are on day 5. So far he lost in 4 days, 12pounds, and he is encouraged by this and more strong in his resolve than ever.

Some background on him: He's 46 years old, started at 330lbs, ate horrible every single day, lots of fast food, very little movement. He did not ease into this at all, just went from eating junk to juice.

Ok, so he's consuming 64oz of juice a day, that I am pressing in the juicer for him, making sure he gets a variety of colors, vegetables and fruits. Also at least another 64 oz of water, sometimes with lemon wedges. His morning juice I blend a banana with to help curb hunger and his nighttime juice I blend with about a 2/3 cup of frozen unsweetened strawberries. He's doing great and feels ok.

Now for the ISSUE...he has not had a bowell movement since the day before he started! This seems so unfathomable, considering all the apple juice I'm pressing! I just need to know if I need to get him an enema, or what. I don't want him getting sick from backed up toxins or whatever.

Also, anyone else ever done an extreme fast like this? He is still STARVING constantly, and we had read that the hunger was supposed to subside by now.

Please, if you have any information for me, I would very much appreciate it, and again, I am not advocating his decision, so no juice fast bashing necessary lol

Thankyou!

Lauren:heart:

He is not consuming any food - no food, no bowel movements as there is nothing there to move the bowel.
  • ChickenTuna
    ChickenTuna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Prune Juice will do the trick if he has anything in there!!!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I assumed he would at least have something "in there" left from before he started? Idk lol
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My question is, if he isn't having a bowl movement how is losing weight then? I know if I haven't had a bowl movement in days my scale goes up until I do.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    I sent you a message regarding where to get some information on the raw eating, but in addition, i'd say that his body may just be adjusting to the shock of going from excess calories to next to nothing. I'd bet it's holding on to what little is coming in.

Thankyou :) I'll check that out!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Our bodies do a wonderful job of getting rid of the toxins without juice fasts, cleanses etc. He isn't eating anything solid. He is getting next to no fibre if any at all.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    My question is, if he isn't having a bowl movement how is losing weight then? I know if I haven't had a bowl movement in days my scale goes up until I do.

I have no idea! I guess he's peeing out the waste?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Have him track body fat percent.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this helps but when I went on a four day fast, I EXPECTED many bowel movements. I had even planned my fast around a slow weekend for that exact purpose. The only reason I stopped from continuing it longer was I had to fly out on business unexpectedly. I

I was very similar to your husband - I mostly urinated a lot. I lost a lot of water retention from inflammation and bloating and felt amazing. As long as you are putting a decent amount of greens in (kale, spinach, etc), then he should be getting enough nutrition, so no worries. Of course, if anything changes.....call your doctor.

Good luck to your husband on his healthful journey!!
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Our bodies do a wonderful job of getting rid of the toxins without juice fasts, cleanses etc. He isn't eating anything solid. He is getting next to no fibre if any at all.

I know this. He wanted to try it for a jumpstart on losing weight. Like I said above, I in no way, think this is the healthiest way to go, but he wants to do it anyways.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    I'm not sure if this helps but when I went on a four day fast, I EXPECTED many bowel movements. I had even planned my fast around a slow weekend for that exact purpose. The only reason I stopped from continuing it longer was I had to fly out on business unexpectedly. I

I was very similar to your husband - I mostly urinated a lot. I lost a lot of water retention from inflammation and bloating and felt amazing. As long as you are putting a decent amount of greens in (kale, spinach, etc), then he should be getting enough nutrition, so no worries. Of course, if anything changes.....call your doctor.

Good luck to your husband on his healthful journey!!

Thankyou :) Good to know this is to be expected. I read something last night about toxins backing up into the blood stream and it freaked me out. The article basically said enemas are a must. Guess it's time to call his doctor to be sure!
  • byronguy74
    Options
    I did a shorter day juice fast last month and I have been rotating juicing with eating since. I did basically the same thing - I went from eating junk to juicing with no transition period. The true hunger will go away but he will continue to have urges to eat through the whole process. As far as bowel movements, I had the same thing. I would go several days without a movement at all BUT I did take fiber pills in the morning and evening - I have been taking them ever day for several years and these, in combination with fish oil pills, were the only sold things I took in during my fast. When he starts eating again the movements will come back. Expect several other changes during this process - my skin cleared up, started sleeping better, more energy, etc. Also, when he starts eating again he WILL gain some weight back. He has to remember, this will work for a jump start but keeping the weight off means a lifestyle change!

I also posted a fairly lengthy discussion in another thread (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/411482-10-day-juice-fast) that has several different peoples opinions.
  • shellicious777
    shellicious777 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In my honest opionion he should be consulting his doctor through this. It can be dangerous. Given his age and weight and sedentary life style. I watched Fat sick and nearly dead a documentary on fasting and they recommended talking to a doctor and being checked during the fast. I couldn't do the juice fast like that so I did it once a day. The calories are actually in the MFP food data for the green juice from that documentary. Good luck!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    oh wow. If he is not uncomfortable, let him be. If i were you i would accidently drop some protein powder in there....soon his body will start breaking down muscles. Good luck
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Have him track body fat percent.

best answer
    because he will notice for the next time that the best way to go is not starving.
    Plus that it isn't about "toxins" it's about fat loss, and muscle mass building.
    Sometimes they have to learn this the hard way. That there is no jump start. Just a start that keeps going.

For my husband anything I said didn't matter. He started tracking it himself, and now notices what is good and bad. He's not a middle of the road kind of guy, and he is all or nothing. So the numbers and food values on MFP actually made sense, and he's eating nutritionally for the first time. He's in control, he has charts and reports to track and fiddle with, so he's self driven on MFP. The numbers and goals make sense to him instead of "....Muwah wha wha ..." that he hears when I say it (like Charlie Brown listening to the teacher), or a parent telling him to eat broccoli. Instead he now looks for his "fiber" goal number and eats his broccoli. It would be great if you could get him on here and make him track it himself. That would mean you have to help him along at first with recipe database and serving size, or whatever, until he can do it all himself.
  • byronguy74
    Options
    In my honest opionion he should be consulting his doctor through this. It can be dangerous. Given his age and weight and sedentary life style. I watched Fat sick and nearly dead a documentary on fasting and they recommended talking to a doctor and being checked during the fast. I couldn't do the juice fast like that so I did it once a day. The calories are actually in the MFP food data for the green juice from that documentary. Good luck!

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is what convinced me to try the juicing fast. I had talked to several other people and watched a couple of other documentaries before watching but that is what finally convinced me.
  • laurenk182004
    Options

I have alerted the doctor, who seemed more intrigued than worried. He has a full blown physical march 1st.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would do smoothies rather than juice. You're missing a lot of the good stuff in fruit and veg by juicing instead of eating the fibre of it too and that would be why he isn't pooping. I don't think for 30 days it would really do him a lot of damage but my concern would just be where you transition to from there. I don't think it makes sense to lose weight in a way that is unsustainable as a long-term way of eating so what's the plan when the juice fast is done? If he just goes back to how he was eating he'll gain the weight all back.