exercising with little results

Options
124»

Replies

• SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned weight loss being 80 diet and that it's creating a caloric deficit that takes the pounds off. And that is really the truth of the matter. Because every body is different, there are no exact numbers that can be relied upon 100% of the time. The role exercise plays is to create a caloric deficit, but more importantly, to increase metabolism. One way to increase metabolism it to add muscle mass. I'm not talking Mr. Universe muscle mass, but any additional muscle mass is going to help create the caloric deficit that promotes weight loss.

I honestly can not speak to what affect cardio plays in increasing metabolism, so I won't go there. But suffice it to say, I do both weight training and cardio. The cardio part I do for my health, and so I can consume more calories in the day (I love to eat!).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Allabtlm - no offence but im hardly going to take advice from someone who lables there snacks as 'snacksies'

Actually, I doesn't offend me at all that you don't have a sense of humor, and I wasn't offering advice, I was pointing out the obvious.
  • sjwhite7
    sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank everyone for the comments. I am trying to look more into my diet and how I should go about changing it up. I have also bookmarked many websites that you all have posted and I will start doing more research. Thanks again to ALL!
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This was a very interesting thread (aside from all the drama). The amount of conflicting info is overwhelming!
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I doubt that it's the exercise doing it. The "fat burning" cardio zone has largely been dispelled as a myth.

Your problem is much more likely to lie in the kitchen... open your food diary and we'll be able to help.

this is right on. i would say if you are making progress on your measurements don't worry about the weight. unless you're trying to make weight for something it shouldn't be a number you are concerned about right now, ESPECIALLY since you are taking other measurements. the tape measure should be your priority right now.

what these guys are getting at talking about fat burning percentages, is that at a given intensity you are burning x% of your calories from carbs, and y% from fat. when you are working out at a higher heart rate, that fat % goes down, but the actual AMOUNT goes up. i.e.- at HR 145 you burn 10 grams of carb and 10 grams of fat for a 50/50 split. but at HR 175 you are burning 30 grams of carb and 20 grams of fat for 60/40 split. so you're still burning more fat and burning more kcals. remember, weight loss really comes down to calories in a calories out

i hope this helps
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a personal trainer with old out of date info. The mere act of exercising expends energy i.e burns calories so it's not really THAT important as to how you burn energy, just that you burn enough.

HIIT is good for those who have a short amount of time and the slower endurance cardio is fine for those who can afford to go at a steadier pace, just for longer. Yes there are some other physiological effects the type of exercise you do has on metabolism but it all tends to balance out. For example, during weight lifting, you don't burn that much more per minute when doing the exercise, but your body will use more calories in the following hours, mostly to help rebuild and make the muscle used stronger.

You probably need to work out for longer but also, remember if your workouts ARE hard, the small deficit you're creating may actually be burning some fat, but you're replacing it with muscle so you don't see then numbers on the scale... this happened to me, maintenance, then slight gain...then I took my body measurements and boom ... tighter and smaller!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I doubt that it's the exercise doing it. The "fat burning" cardio zone has largely been dispelled as a myth.

Your problem is much more likely to lie in the kitchen... open your food diary and we'll be able to help.

this is right on. i would say if you are making progress on your measurements don't worry about the weight. unless you're trying to make weight for something it shouldn't be a number you are concerned about right now, ESPECIALLY since you are taking other measurements. the tape measure should be your priority right now.

what these guys are getting at talking about fat burning percentages, is that at a given intensity you are burning x% of your calories from carbs, and y% from fat. when you are working out at a higher heart rate, that fat % goes down, but the actual AMOUNT goes up. i.e.- at HR 145 you burn 10 grams of carb and 10 grams of fat for a 50/50 split. but at HR 175 you are burning 30 grams of carb and 20 grams of fat for 60/40 split. so you're still burning more fat and burning more kcals. remember, weight loss really comes down to calories in a calories out

i hope this helps
    Exactly. That's what I was trying to say, but failed miserably! :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm so skeptical of personal trainers. "HIIT is bad for fat loss." :laugh:
    Actually it is, especially on cutting cycle. Using cardio to create a calorie deficit is absurd. I am not even going to get on the effects of HIIT on the central nervous system. When you're in a calorie deficit (ie cutting) you're goal is recovery. Weight workouts coupled with MULTIPLE HIIT sessions will lead to a wrecked CNS.

No wonder many don't lose any weight.

How much of a cut are you talking? My wife and I did the lyle mcdonald RFL diet, with that he advises no cardio because it is such an extreme cut. If you are a couple hundred cals under maintenace wheres the problem? please do get started with the effects. I will be starting hiit again soon and dont want be doing it wrong. :indifferent:

http://stronglifts.com/hiit-interval-training-fat-loss/

Most trainers usually combine HIIT sessions behind weight training. HIIT is not cardio it's basically almost another weight training session because it's an anaerobic exercise and not an aerobic exercise. Many people don't understand the concept of recovery and it's effect on weight loss. While nutrition is key, recovery is key as well.

3. Cardio - HIIT in particular - tears up muscle fibers and require repair and recovery, just like a set of squats.

"If you're adding 2-3 sessions of HIIT to your 3 sessions of weights, it is almost comparable to adding 2-3 days of weights. Keyword is "almost", I'm obviously not drawing direct comparisons. That's all fine and dandy if you think working out 5-6 days/week is a good idea on a diet. But I don't think anyone - no matter what level of experience - needs more than 3 days a week in the gym when cutting. (Yes, this goes for competitors and beginners alike.)

In conclusion, if conditioning is not terribly important for you, if your goal is really about getting shredded while keeping your muscle, I highly suggest limiting moderate to high intensity cardio on a diet - or ditch it completely. Save it for some other time when your recovery is good and not limited by your diet.

A calorie deficit is a recovery deficit. Avoid deficit spending."

Martin Berkhan
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm so skeptical of personal trainers. "HIIT is bad for fat loss." :laugh:
    Trust that I'm one to not follow the sheep. My philosophy is one that is based more on science rather than hearsay. HIIT works!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I see a number of issues with your diet. 1- many days your fat intake is higher than mine and I am 6' 267 lbs with 8.8% body fat.
    I don't buy this. At 9% body fat, your abs would very very visible. Whatever method you're using is inaccurate.
    2- some days you only eat twice a day, you need to eat 5-6 times a day.
    This is broscience. Total calories at the end of the day is what matter most. Whether you do it in 2 meals or 6 meals doesn't matter if the total calories of both are the exact same.
    3- your protein intake should always be higher than your carb intake.
    Why?
    4 I didn't see what your size was but your carbs should be around .6-.8 grams per lb of body weight. Your protein should be 1 gram per pound of body weight. As far as eating 5-6 times per day , a protein shake can be considered a meal. You have to get your metabolism up. It is probably like molasses right now. I hope this helps. If you have any questions just message me. Have a good day.
    While I believe in 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, I disagree with carbs that low unless your "cutting" up. And most people aren't trying to get cut up like a bodybuilder.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't know who leangains is, I can make a webpage too. Last year I increased my eating from 2 /day to 6/day and went with the numbers that I gave her and I lost 65 lbs of fat. I didn't even do cardio or any other exercise as I am disabled in my legs. I am on 240 mg of morphine everyday just so I can walk. I just recently started upper body weight training and I have put on 72 lbs of muscle and I still do no cardio. I lost the weight in about 8 months and I put the muscle on since Sept. 2011. I have the pictures to prove it. My body fat is at 8.8 % . That is no myth, I proved it in real life!!!
    Sorry, but I call BS on everything you're saying. My picture show me at 17% body fat. I've competed at 9% body fat and didn't look as "fluffy" as you are now.
    You're getting bad information on your actual stats.

IDEA Fitness member
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Trust that I'm one to not follow the sheep. My philosophy is one that is based more on science rather than hearsay. HIIT works!

I am with you ninerbuff. As a PT I will recommend HIIT anyday over the outdated myth of the fat burning zone. And it works every time. Any wonder people have so much trouble losing weight with all of the misinformation out there.

Donna
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Actually it is, especially on cutting cycle. Using cardio to create a calorie deficit is absurd. I am not even going to get on the effects of HIIT on the central nervous system. When you're in a calorie deficit (ie cutting) you're goal is recovery. Weight workouts coupled with MULTIPLE HIIT sessions will lead to a wrecked CNS.

No wonder many don't lose any weight.
    [/quote

How much of a cut are you talking? My wife and I did the lyle mcdonald RFL diet, with that he advises no cardio because it is such an extreme cut. If you are a couple hundred cals under maintenace wheres the problem? please do get started with the effects. I will be starting hiit again soon and dont want be doing it wrong. :indifferent:

http://stronglifts.com/hiit-interval-training-fat-loss/

Most trainers usually combine HIIT sessions behind weight training. HIIT is not cardio it's basically almost another weight training session because it's an anaerobic exercise and not an aerobic exercise. Many people don't understand the concept of recovery and it's effect on weight loss. While nutrition is key, recovery is key as well.

3. Cardio - HIIT in particular - tears up muscle fibers and require repair and recovery, just like a set of squats.

"If you're adding 2-3 sessions of HIIT to your 3 sessions of weights, it is almost comparable to adding 2-3 days of weights. Keyword is "almost", I'm obviously not drawing direct comparisons. That's all fine and dandy if you think working out 5-6 days/week is a good idea on a diet. But I don't think anyone - no matter what level of experience - needs more than 3 days a week in the gym when cutting. (Yes, this goes for competitors and beginners alike.)

In conclusion, if conditioning is not terribly important for you, if your goal is really about getting shredded while keeping your muscle, I highly suggest limiting moderate to high intensity cardio on a diet - or ditch it completely. Save it for some other time when your recovery is good and not limited by your diet.

A calorie deficit is a recovery deficit. Avoid deficit spending."

Martin Berkhan

he says in your link not to do it if you are doing the 5x5 or a beginner with ZERO fitness level nothing about CNS damage. and I do agree with him, you do not NEED to do cardio, I lift and diet and that's all I've done for the past 10 plus weeks and have had great results