Butter Substitute?

I am a big fan of Land o'Lakes sweet cream salted butter. Of all the adjustments I've made toward a more healthier lifestyle, I just can't seem to get myself to not cook with real butter. I just think that real butter tastes better.

So, could anyone please recommend which butter substitute is the most like real butter but is lower in calories and fat?
What do you all use? Thanks!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    No recomendations on a substitute. Can't really see why you'd want one. What wrong with butter? It give foods great flavor, is a fairly healthy fat that resists oxidation in your bloodstream and is helpful in forming High Density Lipids, the "good" cholesterol and is not more calorie dense than most other fats. If you enjoy butter, then go for it as part of your overall diet plan. Almost all of the substitutes are processed in some way and contain partialy hydrogenated oil, fully hydrogenated oil or transfats. Very damaging to your health. I'd just stick with good ol' butter and some Olive Oil sometimes or some sesame oil if you're cooking oriental!
  • Wow! Thanks for that - good to know. As long as I kept the amount low, I wasn't thinking it was a problem either. I really appreciate your input.
  • I agree with the previous poster. There really is no need for a substitute. You aren't going to save many (if any) calories, and most butter alternatives are way worse for you than the real thing. Fats aren't necessarily the boogieman that they have been made out to be. If you like butter, then have it. (In moderation.) Olive oil and coconut oil are also great choices.

I grew up eating Country Crock, and all that time I really was under the impression that it was "healthier" for you than regular butter. I couldn't even eat regular butter because it tasted weird to me. Then I started learning more about the differences between real foods and highly manufactured products. I slowly switched to using real butter. Now if I eat margarine I can practically taste the chemicals. It's really gross. Another bonus is that since real butter is pretty expensive, you're likely to use less of it. (Well, this was a bonus back before I started counting calories. Now I'm more likely to use less of it simply because I don't want it to take up too much of my daily calorie budget. LOL.)
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Butter is good, just don't go overboard with it. I also use coconut oil. It's got a great flavor, and adds moistness to baked goods.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    No recomendations on a substitute. Can't really see why you'd want one. What wrong with butter? It give foods great flavor, is a fairly healthy fat that resists oxidation in your bloodstream and is helpful in forming High Density Lipids, the "good" cholesterol and is not more calorie dense than most other fats. If you enjoy butter, then go for it as part of your overall diet plan. Almost all of the substitutes are processed in some way and contain partialy hydrogenated oil, fully hydrogenated oil or transfats. Very damaging to your health. I'd just stick with good ol' butter and some Olive Oil sometimes or some sesame oil if you're cooking oriental!

+1 :heart:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    I sometimes use Smart Balance. It depends on what I'm cooking. If it's adding butter to rice, I might use that. If I'm making grilled cheese, I'll use a pat of butter. Other times, I'll use the Smart Balance.

I like it, it tastes fine to me. I think it has an olive oil base, I'm not sure.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    I cook with I can't belive its not butter spray! It is in a yellow bottle with the butter, and i get it at walmart or any grocery store. tastes just like butter, with 0 fat and 0 caloreis. I put it on all veggies, and use it to cook! It is so wonderful! def check it out! :love:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Butter in moderation is okay...and I agree, it adds some extra flavor.

Plus, anything that is real is better than substitutes that use who knows what to give you that 'butter' flavor...
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Real butter is a healthy fat stay way from the butter subs- they are nothign more than chemicals and bads fats... I can't eat dairy other than raw which is hard to come by where I live . so I use evoo, coconut oil and palm oils..
  • No recomendations on a substitute. Can't really see why you'd want one. What wrong with butter? It give foods great flavor, is a fairly healthy fat that resists oxidation in your bloodstream and is helpful in forming High Density Lipids, the "good" cholesterol and is not more calorie dense than most other fats. If you enjoy butter, then go for it as part of your overall diet plan. Almost all of the substitutes are processed in some way and contain partialy hydrogenated oil, fully hydrogenated oil or transfats. Very damaging to your health. I'd just stick with good ol' butter and some Olive Oil sometimes or some sesame oil if you're cooking oriental!

+1 :heart:

Yep, this! Real food (butter=cream, maybe salt) > chemical tubs/sprays. Just use portion control :) The extra bit of natural fat will make your food extra satisfying and satiating.
  • No recomendations on a substitute. Can't really see why you'd want one. What wrong with butter? It give foods great flavor, is a fairly healthy fat that resists oxidation in your bloodstream and is helpful in forming High Density Lipids, the "good" cholesterol and is not more calorie dense than most other fats. If you enjoy butter, then go for it as part of your overall diet plan. Almost all of the substitutes are processed in some way and contain partialy hydrogenated oil, fully hydrogenated oil or transfats. Very damaging to your health. I'd just stick with good ol' butter and some Olive Oil sometimes or some sesame oil if you're cooking oriental!

^^^^ This. I'd rather use smaller amounts of the "real" things in life than eat things that claim to be "healthier" for you but are often filled with chemicals.....Just my own take on it. :flowerforyou:
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Mmmmmmm Butter...... the secret ingredient to LIFE!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member

For people with high colesterol I highly recommend cardio choice light from Walmart. I had very high cholesterol (which is weird for a vegetarian ) and md wanted to put me on meds......to which I said Hell No. I changed a few small things, and I went from 249 to 203 (cholesterol) in 6 months by diet and exercise alone! Cardio Choice contains flax and omega 3's......it is very good for you!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    I cook with I can't belive its not butter spray! It is in a yellow bottle with the butter, and i get it at walmart or any grocery store. tastes just like butter, with 0 fat and 0 caloreis. I put it on all veggies, and use it to cook! It is so wonderful! def check it out! :love:

http://www.feedmeimcranky.com/2011/01/15/lies-damned-lies-butter-sprays/
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    On a more serious note.... In my opinion, there is no
    substitute, BUT.... I make avocado butter which is DELICIOUS! Mashed avo with salt & pepper. Works like a treat and tastes delicious.... but hold back when you're baking!! Butter only for that ! :bigsmile:
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    The only thing I would recommend is maybe to go with the unsalted butter.

I am mildly embarrassed to say we have brummel and brown's in the house, which, while claiming to be yogurt based, is still oil based, including the partially hydrogenated oils that the other top offenders use. Maybe that will get replaced next time we run to the store.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Earth balance..... It's nondairy but no trans fats like margarine..... It's excellent!!!! We get the tubs.
  • We went to all butter in our house to get ride of the chemicals and additives.

Using a butter bell was a great discovery to help make it easier to use with toast and such.

I have been on the search for a local dairy that makes butter. Even our local milk dairies sell mass produced butter in their stores.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    We went to all butter in our house to get ride of the chemicals and additives.

Using a butter bell was a great discovery to help make it easier to use with toast and such.

I have been on the search for a local dairy that makes butter. Even our local milk dairies sell mass produced butter in their stores.

If you purchase heavy cream from your local dairy it is very easy to make your own butter. :flowerforyou:
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    i like land o lakes butter made with canola oil .. i believe its 50 calories for a tablespoon ..