Butter Substitute?

Replies

• I cook with I can't belive its not butter spray! It is in a yellow bottle with the butter, and i get it at walmart or any grocery store. tastes just like butter, with 0 fat and 0 caloreis. I put it on all veggies, and use it to cook! It is so wonderful! def check it out! :love:

http://www.feedmeimcranky.com/2011/01/15/lies-damned-lies-butter-sprays/

THANK YOU for posting that link!!!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    i like land o lakes butter made with canola oil .. i believe its 50 calories for a tablespoon ..

Why would one use this over unmolested butter?
  • Mochi915
    Mochi915 Posts: 30 Member
    Brummel yogurt butter is GREAT! Best part? It's spreadable even when it's cold!!!
  • ShawtyLatina
    ShawtyLatina Posts: 160 Member
    Earth balance..... It's nondairy but no trans fats like margarine..... It's excellent!!!! We get the tubs.

Bump.

I use the whipped version as a topping cuz the air gives more volume for less calories, and the regular version for cooking and baking. I'm a total earth balance devotee. Even had my nutrionist make the switch after he discovered it on my food journal.
  • We went to all butter in our house to get ride of the chemicals and additives.

Using a butter bell was a great discovery to help make it easier to use with toast and such.

I have been on the search for a local dairy that makes butter. Even our local milk dairies sell mass produced butter in their stores.

If you purchase heavy cream from your local dairy it is very easy to make your own butter. :flowerforyou:

WAIT! WHAT? HOW??? Sending you a friend request...
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    olive oil is the best thing generally for your health....but butter will do no harm in moderation and to add flavour to certain recipes occasionally is fine
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    I think others have already voted overwhelmingly for butter here and I agree - why change it? Particularly if the alternative might be some kind of processed chemical cocktail. So many companies try to sell us products based on a "science must be better than natural" mantra. Newsflash: it isn't.
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Welcome to PA from here in Berks County. What is a butter bell??
  • Rilke
    I cook with I can't belive its not butter spray! It is in a yellow bottle with the butter, and i get it at walmart or any grocery store. tastes just like butter, with 0 fat and 0 caloreis. I put it on all veggies, and use it to cook! It is so wonderful! def check it out! :love:

http://www.feedmeimcranky.com/2011/01/15/lies-damned-lies-butter-sprays/

THANK YOU for posting that link!!!

Important stuff there. I don't agree with the criticism of butter, but the information about the sprays needs to be common knowledge.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    I try not to cook with anything. If I need butter on something for taste I use zero calorie "I can't believe it's not butter" spray.
    If I need to fry something I will try to bake it instead i.e. Fish, poultry, steak. and not use anything.
    If I truly need to wet the pan I will use olive oil.
    I find that when I use butter, I always need way more of it then I can afford in my calorie count.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    If I'm having a baked potato & it's there for moisture, Brummel & Brown (it's actually trans fat free & while vegetable oil based, it's not partially hydrogenated). If it's baked goods, real butter or unsweetened applesauce. If it's to prevent sticking while pan frying, nonstick spray. Depends on the application.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I am a big fan of Land o'Lakes sweet cream salted butter. Of all the adjustments I've made toward a more healthier lifestyle, I just can't seem to get myself to not cook with real butter. I just think that real butter tastes better.

So, could anyone please recommend which butter substitute is the most like real butter but is lower in calories and fat?
    What do you all use? Thanks!

You know they make a "light" version of this right? it's in the same place as the regular sweet cream butter but it's labeled "light" It cooks up very similarly, and we use it for a lot. Same taste.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Mmmmmmm Butter...... the secret ingredient to LIFE!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Emilia, your name is very appropriate for a butter lover. In Italy, the province of Emilia Romana is where much of the buttery recipes come from as opposed to the rest of Italy that is pretty much Olive Oil country!:happy:
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    I love butter on my toast. The only things I really ever fry are my eggs and potatoes for breakfast, and for that I use bacon grease. :drinker:
  • mmapags
    The only thing I would recommend is maybe to go with the unsalted butter.

I am mildly embarrassed to say we have brummel and brown's in the house, which, while claiming to be yogurt based, is still oil based, including the partially hydrogenated oils that the other top offenders use. Maybe that will get replaced next time we run to the store.

Do it! You don't want that poison going into your body. Do you know that under a microscope, partially hydrogenated oil molecules look just like plastic molecules! They oxidize like crazy and form artery plaque as if they are on a mission! I wouldn't even finish it off. Just dump it! Your heart will thank you!!:wink:

+1 on the person that said unsalted butter. Organic even better. Professional chefs (of which I am one) love unsalted butter. It has a higher smoke point and a "cleaner" richer flavor. Almost as good as clarified butter but not quite as high a smoke point. You can add in the seasonings you want including salt in the finished dish.
  • mmapags
    i like land o lakes butter made with canola oil .. i believe its 50 calories for a tablespoon ..

I'm guessing for the lower calorie load but did you know that Canola oil is one the most highly oxidative oils there is and helps in the formation of Low Density Lipids (the bad cholseterol)?
  • tammy434
    tammy434 Posts: 11 Member
    what do people think of becel??
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Mmmmmmm Butter...... the secret ingredient to LIFE!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Emilia, your name is very appropriate for a butter lover. In Italy, the province of Emilia Romana is where much of the buttery recipes come from as opposed to the rest of Italy that is pretty much Olive Oil country!:happy:

Yay... That's great! Now I have more of an excuse to go to Italy!!! :happy:
  • Rilke

I'm guessing for the lower calorie load but did you know that Canola oil is one the most highly oxidative oils there is and helps in the formation of Low Density Lipids (the bad cholseterol)?

Canola oil is a hot mess. I avoid it and soybean oil at all costs.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    I use Clover Light. 7 grams is 32 calories, Clover butter (normal) is 68 calories for 7 grams.

This is why I use light.

Regarding cooking oil, I use one calorie olive oil spray.